General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 05-Jan-13 23:36:37
Print Post

Re: Openreach modem question

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Yes. I have a vague memory of seeing that as well, a year or so ago. So we have two.

That still leaves us with several million people using BT FTTC who do not have any similar clause.

Note I'm not arguing about the true ownership - I agree that is Openreach. But I am in a way siding with BatBoy in that if the customer is not informed of this then the user is entitled to assume it is his. Just like the Home Wiring Solution.

IIRC BatBoy not long ago quoted from the correspondence a new signup to (home) Infinity receives, along the lines of "your Home Hub" and "your VDSL modem". Just the delivery mechanism that is different.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 05-Jan-13 23:36:54
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Looks like you've made an assumption there. I asked the providers so I didn't have to make any assumptions.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sat 05-Jan-13 23:47:43
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Yes. I have a vague memory of seeing that as well, a year or so ago. So we have two.

That still leaves us with several million people using BT FTTC who do not have any similar clause.

Note I'm not arguing about the true ownership - I agree that is Openreach. But I am in a way siding with BatBoy in that if the customer is not informed of this then the user is entitled to assume it is his. Just like the Home Wiring Solution.

IIRC BatBoy not long ago quoted from the correspondence a new signup to (home) Infinity receives, along the lines of "your Home Hub" and "your VDSL modem". Just the delivery mechanism that is different.

Years ago telephones were referred to as "your phone will be supplied in a colour of your choice" or words to that effect, but the phone belonged to BT/GPO telephones.

Anyway the point is that whoever the ISP is (they buy the product to include fitting of the modem) does not matter.

The home wiring solution is stated as becoming the property of the homeowner after it is used, along with the SSFP

Edited by systemx (Sat 05-Jan-13 23:51:46)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 05-Jan-13 23:51:56
Print Post

Well, I guess in those days you had to sign a rental agreement for the phone so it was in writing who owned the phone.

It's good to have things in writing, you never know when you may need it.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Moderator billford
(moderator) Sun 06-Jan-13 00:05:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by systemx:
Years ago telephones were referred to as "your phone will be supplied in a colour of your choice" or words to that effect, but the phone belonged to BT/GPO telephones.
Indeed... even now BT refer to "your telephone number", not "the telephone number we have assigned to you".

The word "your" indicates possession, not necessarily ownership.

Bill
[email protected] __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sun 06-Jan-13 00:10:12
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I must admit that while the modem is the property of Openreach I do not think they would get too upset if you were to move and take it with you. I suspect the sooner they can dump all this end-user kit where it rightly belongs (with the ISP) the happier they will be.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 06-Jan-13 01:02:15
Print Post

I'm not sure I'm with you. I have it on good authority that the modem is mine and I can do what I want with it. I have also provided a link to authoritative documentation about the network termination point and also a statement from the ISP describing the installation of my equipment.

Luckily, no-one has to take my word for it. They are all free to ask Openreach themselves and get their own confirmation in writing as I did.

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sun 06-Jan-13 01:24:34
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
I'm not sure I'm with you. I have it on good authority that the modem is mine and I can do what I want with it. I have also provided a link to authoritative documentation about the network termination point and also a statement from the ISP describing the installation of my equipment.

Luckily, no-one has to take my word for it. They are all free to ask Openreach themselves and get their own confirmation in writing as I did.

Well at present no ISP provides the modem, they only provide the router so they are in no position to give it to you, Can you provide a link which says the modem as opposed to the router is yours to keep.

i draw your attention to BT who say that if you move you should leave the modem at your old address for the use of the new property owner.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 06-Jan-13 01:28:22
Print Post

That is why I said

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Jan-13 01:54:29
Print Post

I have an answer to this question.

a week ago my install engineer revisited me as openreach have been investigating the large sync drops in my area (another user on my cabinet went from over 40mbit down to under 10mbit the same day I went down to 73mbit). They gave out an ECI modem to me and said I can keep the HG as well, I actually now have 2 ECI since I also got one from ebay.

So there was no urgency from the engineer to reclaim the HG.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to