General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sun 06-Jan-13 01:54:31
Print Post

Re: Openreach modem question

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

So why don't Openreach just say publicly that the modem becomes the property of the end-user, they do with the data extension if they fit one.

With any luck it will be wires only soon, so it will not matter.

Edited by systemx (Sun 06-Jan-13 02:03:16)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Jan-13 02:01:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
There's no such document on the BT Infinity Residential side.
Yes there is: BT Infinity User Guide which contains:
Openreach modem

This is a VDSL modem, supplied and managed by Openreach
Q Why should I only use the BT Home Hub and Openreach modem?

Most broadband equipment can only work with standard broadband (ADSL),
but your Openreach modem uses different (VDSL) technology to give you faster
broadband speeds.

This modem is part of the Openreach network and must be used.
Openreach modem

The Openreach modem is supplied and managed by Openreach. It connects your BT Home Hub to the BT Infinity service. You canít customise the Openreach modem.

Your BT Home Hub and Openreach modem
Safety and regulatory instructions for your Openreach modem and BT Home Hub

ē Donít try to disassemble or open up your Hub or Openreach modem yourself. Not only will it make your warranty void, it may expose you to dangerous voltage or other hazards.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Sun 06-Jan-13 02:01:56
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I have an answer to this question.

a week ago my install engineer revisited me as openreach have been investigating the large sync drops in my area (another user on my cabinet went from over 40mbit down to under 10mbit the same day I went down to 73mbit). They gave out an ECI modem to me and said I can keep the HG as well, I actually now have 2 ECI since I also got one from ebay.

So there was no urgency from the engineer to reclaim the HG.

Yes I have two as well, but all that proves is that Openreach are not too concerned with reclaiming them, not that they are rightful yours (or mine)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Jan-13 02:07:53
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

Trouble is that OR doc. forms no part of the contract between the end-user and the ISP.

It may be part of the T&Cs between OR and the ISP, but that is not binding on the end-user. If the end-user swipes the modem it will be ISP's responsibility to recompense OR.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Jan-13 02:15:55
Print Post

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

yes I never said otherwise, just said they dont seem bothered about keeping the modems.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 06-Jan-13 02:16:15
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I also asked about customising the modem. They said I could do it but it would void the warranty. All it does is change the firewall setting anyway.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 06-Jan-13 02:18:44
Print Post

What you personally have been told by OR does not actually address the original Q for at least 3 reasons:
  1. You have no contract or any business relationship with OR.
  2. What you personally have been told does not extend to others.
  3. We are all aware that statements by individual agents of providers can often be untrue and do not necessarily reflect the policy of their organisation.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 06-Jan-13 09:24:36
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

He was a good bloke- checked the wiring while was here, fixed a couple of crimped joints that shouldn't have been a funny green colour and I gained about 3Mbps

There are a couple of them out there. smile

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 09:37:09
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

"Supplied and managed", if definitive at all, to me could easily mean the opposite of owned. Why doesn't it say "owned"? It's poor wording. (Please stutter when reading that sentence tongue).

Similarly re your underlining of the word "Openreach". In the context, no different from the "BT" that accompanies the words "Home Hub".

Similar queries throughout the post.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Sun 06-Jan-13 10:06:34
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
There are a couple of them out there. smile

During the 11 months I experienced very poor connection stability, I was quick to complain that some engineers didn't get to the root cause(s) of the (various) problems.

However, I was equally quick to praise (officially) those who did tick each problem off as fixed.

It wasn't always the engineer's fault that he was the wrong type of engineer - sent by his employer to deal with the wrong type of fault, despite Plusnet specifically requesting SFI engineers on some occasions.

So, I would say there are far more than "a couple" of them out there smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to