General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 16-Jan-13 18:17:53
Print Post

Re: Downstream speed deteriorates during daytime

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

You're probably right. The graphs are certainly different.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Wed 16-Jan-13 18:21:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The majority of the information in those graphs only changes when a re sync occurs. One of the suggestions I've put forward to the Bald Eagle was to automatically run current stats when the connection has re-synced.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Wed 16-Jan-13 18:57:44
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
The majority of the information in those graphs only changes when a re sync occurs. One of the suggestions I've put forward to the Bald Eagle was to automatically run current stats when the connection has re-synced.

Which I haven't yet implemented, but it is still on the "things to do" list smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(committed) Wed 16-Jan-13 19:13:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I know what's where, don't know what it all means though wink

I might be wrong but I'm sure there is other useful information in the current stats, like the bits loading, quiet line noise, SNR, attenuation graphs etc, which is not recorded in the modem_stats_log.

Either way he might as well store the data, it doesn't take much space and it's there if needed smile

PS I'm sure the Bald Eagle will confirm, which reminds me I need to test some scripts he sent me.

The current stats log (Plink log) contains all the details needed for the snapshot/current stats graph generation.

Hlog & QLN data is static from the resync until the next resync, when it is refreshed.

Bit-loading & SNR data is dynamic & is updated throught the lifetime of a connection, so it can look very different when graphed at say 02:00 in the morning & again at 14:00 the same afternoon.

The Plink log also contains xdslcmd info --stats data (includes all sorts of useful information such as sync speeds, Interleaving depth, delay, Impulse Noise Protection level, various error counts, bit swapping etc. etc. etc.)

that data is also used for the ongoing stats script/program to log & graph minute by minute changes in any of the stats.
Quite often a lot can be deduced by seeing patterns of increased error counts, SNRM, attainable rates etc. at certain times of day or as sudden bursts of "interference" activity.

It is in a very similar format to that obtained from most Broadcom chipped ADSL modem/routers & a lot of information can be interpreted bay many of this and other forums' users.

xdslcmd info pbParams is also included that shows attenuation & SNRM for each band plan within a VDSL2 connection & so on.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to