General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mikejp
(newbie) Sat 19-Jan-13 10:01:23
Print Post

Re: Any hope for long fttc lines ?

[re: izools] [link to this post]

You could have a second phone line installed and a second FTTC connection installed,
- ho ho ho! Many cabinets are already maxed out on connection capability with 1 per house.

Re ADSL2+/VDSL the graphs I have seen (for good local loop) put the meeting point at around 2400m so, yes, I go for a rubbish local loop.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-13 11:10:58
Print Post

[re: mikejp] [link to this post]

ho ho ho! Many cabinets are already maxed out on connection capability with 1 per house.

What do you base that info on ? THE busiest cab round here, PCP40 off of Reading South, has been in use for over two years, and still isn't full.

Standard User mikejp
(learned) Sat 19-Jan-13 11:43:54
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Not Reading South

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User eckiedoo
(regular) Sat 19-Jan-13 12:16:08
Print Post

[re: jjpearce] [link to this post]

Regarding cable distances, has anyone any idea of how accurate the BE site is?

http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker

It gives my distance as 1,286 metres, which ties in very well with the likely road distance and local cabinet distance.

Typically 24 db Downstream Attenuation, comparing well with 23 db measured around 1988.

The cabinet is literally "just across the road", say 25 metres directly north-west; but I know that my connection goes north-eastwards to a small, pavement jointing box, about 60 metres away, before heading westwards for about 65 metres (although there may be further wandering!) to the cabinet.

The pavement jointing box came to light when I had my line checked for noise around 1990, dial-up use then, when the source of the noise was traced to the joints in that little box.
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 19-Jan-13 12:37:16
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

It gives me 1263 metres. I am 664 metres straight line distance from the exchange, and the cabinet is 170 metres away (measured by pacing the cable route, not straight line distance)... so either it takes the scenic route between the exchange and the cabinet, or the distance is a bit overestimated.
Standard User eckiedoo
(regular) Sat 19-Jan-13 12:42:28
Print Post

[re: jjpearce] [link to this post]

I omitted Speed etc.

Downloads are generally about 14.8 Mbps.

Uploads are around 0.9 Mbps.

Bright Box Statistics-

Earliest Latest Elapsed Days
22-Jun-12 to 19-Jan-13 211
11:00:00 12:30:00
"Extracted from :-
Advanced Setup
System
adsl status"
"Automatic
G992.5 (ADSL2+)"
SHOWTIME
Fast Path

Best Average Worst Median
5.9 6.4 9.3 6.3 Down Noise margin (dB) :
24.0 24.3 25.0 24.5 Down Attenuation (dB) :
6.1 7.2 10.8 7.1 Up Noise margin (dB) :
11.3 11.5 11.7 11.5 Up Attenuation (dB) :

1,286 Line Length Metres

Best Average Worst Median
Downstream Actual Data Rate
18,247 17,888 15,968 18,032 Rate (kbps)
16,100 16,100 16,100 16,100 BT IP Profile
Upstream
1,195 1,159 888 1,171 Rate (kbps)

Uptime from Last Break (Misleading as highly dependent on when data recorded, relative to Last Break)
Max/Good Average Min/Bad Median
23 15:43:23 04 11:52:29 00 00:02:20 01 12:00:00
dd hh:mm:ss dd hh:mm:ss dd hh:mm:ss dd hh:mm:ss

10/01/2013 Most Recent Reboot

(Must investigate formatting from EXCEL!)
Standard User eckiedoo
(regular) Sat 19-Jan-13 12:46:52
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

Is that "as the crow flies" or is it (likely) road distance?

I am fortunate in that over about 500 metres, there is no choice, the other half having only two likely choices, with little difference between them.
Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sat 19-Jan-13 13:13:31
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Is that "as the crow flies" or is it (likely) road distance?

The 664 metres is as the crow flies. The distance to the cabinet is measured along the (mostly visible) cable route. From there, the road distance is not very different from the straight line distance: essentially, head due west for 200 metres, then north-west to the exchange. Both roads are straight, so I'd estimate road distance at about 700-800 metres from cabinet to exchange and 850-1000 metres for total phone line length if it goes that way. But BT may have used different roads so the 1263 metres could reflect that. There are a few choices where a pointless detour can be taken.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Sat 19-Jan-13 13:15:10
Print Post

[re: Uilebheist] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Uilebheist:
It gives me 1263 metres. I am 664 metres straight line distance from the exchange, and the cabinet is 170 metres away (measured by pacing the cable route, not straight line distance)... so either it takes the scenic route between the exchange and the cabinet, or the distance is a bit overestimated.

My parent's place is about 30m as the crow flies from the exchange and it gives a length of 1276m which it probabaly in the ball park. Being all overhead lines you quite easily work out where the line runs.

In their case it runs from the exchange to the PCP which is about 500m then doubles back on itself for about 400m, then up the road for about 300m or so to a pole on the opposite side of the road just beyond their house.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 19-Jan-13 15:30:31
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Even when/if profile 30 is rolled out it will not offer very much extra (if any) to those far away from the cabinet.
I doubt if profle 30 will be around for a very long time.

The specification by Openreach for ISP-supplied modems says they must be 17a and vectoring capable. No mention of 30.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to