General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bobbyboyuk
(member) Sat 19-Jan-13 16:39:40
Print Post

Re: Any hope for long fttc lines ?

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

im 1100 metres from the cab and sync at 12mb , id happily pay £500-£1000 for a fttp install.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Sat 19-Jan-13 17:26:58
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Sadly ADSL 2+ performance isn't a guide to FTTC.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Sat 19-Jan-13 17:30:28
Print Post

[re: bobbyboyuk] [link to this post]

1.1km and after 3 weeks my connection iscurrently sitting at 22MB down and 6.5mb up. Annoyingly connected at 26.9MB initially but has slowed over a few weeks and ping has gone from 10 to 30 frown

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...

Edited by Richeh (Sat 19-Jan-13 17:30:42)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bobbyboyuk
(member) Sat 19-Jan-13 17:34:44
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

ADSL2+ ? Im on FTTC , Hence the fibre forum wink
Standard User izools
(experienced) Sat 19-Jan-13 20:52:55
Print Post

[re: bobbyboyuk] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by bobbyboyuk:
In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:

ADSL2+ ? Im on FTTC , Hence the fibre forum wink

I think his comment was in relation to this post:

In reply to a post by arfster:
There was talk that a full implementation of vectoring might allow 50mbit at 1000 metres, and 100mbit with bonding.

Your line clearly isn't very good though - I am on adsl2+ at 1150 metres from the exchange and get about the same as you.

Have you done all the usual test stuff, disconnecting extension wiring etc?

(experienced) Sun 20-Jan-13 01:10:56
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
How good are you at changing the laws of physics?

Even when/if profile 30 is rolled out it will not offer very much extra (if any) to those far away from the cabinet. Maybe a power increase or a new modem front end might improve the reception of low power signals but that is unlikely and even if it did the increase obtained would be small.

No need for sarcastic remarks, obviously the OP does not wish to bend the laws of physics. If he had posted a few years ago, unable to get adsl due to a long time, you would have no doubt given the same reply of 'How good are you at changing the laws of physics?' Then a few years alter, fttc is released and suddenly he can get broadband without changing the laws of physics.

As to the opening poster, Broadband is indeed improving in terms of fiber deployments. Fttc is the first baby step towards everyone getting FTTP in a few years. It's simply inevitable that this will happen given the broadband race so many countries are involved in.

Just wait it out and you will get a FTTP connection in the next few years. Even the most rural of locations will eventually have it too, it's simply a matter of time. Lets hope its within 5-10 years rather than 20 though laugh

My Broadband Speed Test
60db Attenuation
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 20-Jan-13 01:16:39
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

I must admit I thought the same as you, I remember 56k modems, and people saying you can't go faster it's just not possible, roll forward 20 years and here we are.

Standard User Uilebheist
(legend) Sun 20-Jan-13 10:06:07
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I must admit I thought the same as you, I remember 56k modems, and people saying you can't go faster it's just not possible, roll forward 20 years and here we are.

Ah, when we had a 2Mbps leased line installed in the office (about 13 years ago IIRC), BT showed up with a bit of copper and everybody said, not possible, you need a fibre, 2Mbps over copper just doesn't happen. Well, it seemed to work... and of course not long after 2Mbps SDSL was available if anybody wanted the bandwidth without the cost of a leased line.
I must admit I was surprised at the time.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 20-Jan-13 12:35:01
Print Post

[re: dave2150] [link to this post]

my guess is mass market FTTP is at least 5 years away in this country unless a killer app suddenly surfaces.

Given BT's investment record, I dont think they would have invested in FTTC equipment with just a few years life span.

Of course we have FTTP on demand coming soon but that isnt mass market it will have very low takeup. Also that openreach say for FTTP on demand a survery is done before each order? is it possible they will routinely reject orders when distance is large from the aggregation point?

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 20-Jan-13 13:06:46
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I think they would give an estimate based on the distance and known factors, if this is acceptable then a site survey would be done.

I think they will be inundated with requests, the majority which of course won't be progressed.

I'll certainly get a price.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to