General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Timalay
(experienced) Sun 20-Jan-13 16:33:29
Print Post

Re: How long from cabinet installed to accepting orders?

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 5km:
Anyone know how long it normally takes for a cabinet to go live after installation?

How long is a piece of string?

It was delayed by just over 6 months here. Though when got just past the 2nd quarter, and was supposedly delayed by another 3 months, it was announced activated just over 16 days later via Openreaches twitter page.

Best thing to do IMO to keep an eye Openreaches twitter page.
Standard User Sy5gtt
(learned) Sun 20-Jan-13 17:15:07
Print Post

We're in the same position. March 31st availability date but no new cab. Their going to have to pull their finger out to meet the date :-/

Not in a conservation area and exchange has been FTTC live for years.

I'm not very hopeful frown
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Jan-13 17:18:43
Print Post

[re: Timalay] [link to this post]

On an already enabled exchange, so as far a Openreach care it's enabled and therefore has already been announced. They don't care about cabinet level and just fob off the government and the public with incorrect figures based on enables exchanges not actual lines that can get the service.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 17:29:33
Print Post

?
They publish "homes passed" figures, which logically can only be based on enabled cabinets, in their quarterly, half-year and annual accounts. Are you saying they are lying, and they are in fact giving the number of lines connected to enabled exchanges?

If so, some evidence of that is necessary, as the shareholders and Stock Exchange would be very interested.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 17:31:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I wonder how many exchanges have a single working FTTC cabinet to count as "enabled" smile

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Jan-13 17:39:59
Print Post

Hard to say. The only figures we have are ones that BT themselves have constructed.

Homes passes doesn't necessarily mean the service is available. There could be other reasons for a line not being compatible or able to order service. Errors like that probably only add up to a few hundred and are not significant in the scheme of things.

What is the problem is the dates that keep slipping and all the uncertainty of where and when/if. This is where the figures are really open to debate, as after all they are just estimates.

I wonder how the figures compare if you were to add up the lines on all enabled exchanges? Then compare that with the number BT say can get it. Would either be a shock as they'd match and therefore BT is lying or reveal just how few cabinets per exchange are getting enabled.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 17:46:33
Print Post

Well it's you making the assertion that they are lying. So do that calculation and see. Reasonably accurate figures for lines per exchange are available from samknows, and probably elsewhere.

As far as I'm concerned that post of yours was just a rant with no facts. Which is why I queried it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Sun 20-Jan-13 17:48:38
Print Post

Can't be bothered... lol

[/rant]

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 20-Jan-13 18:07:39
Print Post

smile

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 21-Jan-13 12:53:41
Print Post

Can't be bothered... lol

[/rant]

It isn't surprising. Rants are often illogical, without reference to the facts. In this case, I agree that the facts are limited to those supplied by BT themselves, but they do seem to be sensible...

Homes passes doesn't necessarily mean the service is available. T

I wonder how the figures compare if you were to add up the lines on all enabled exchanges? Then compare that with the number BT say can get it. Would either be a shock as they'd match and therefore BT is lying or reveal just how few cabinets per exchange are getting enabled.

Prepare to be unshocked...

In our area (North Yorkshire) there are so few exchanges being enabled (pre-BDUK) that makes the figures easy to spot: BT tend to do "regional" press releases that mention, say, a batch of 3 or 4 exchanges - either when they have been included in the rollout plans, or when they are available. Those releases tend to have total of "number of homes" figures that are about 75%-90% of the numbers that can gleaned from SamKnows.

And the rollout plan spreadsheet (the Dec 2011 one, showing postcode coverage) itself tended to show the same kind of results - coverage of the majority. It was especially interesting to combine the data from that document with the "batchgeo.com" website, to create maps of coverage.

What is the problem is the dates that keep slipping and all the uncertainty of where and when/if. This is where the figures are really open to debate, as after all they are just estimates.

That's they key problem - getting the right information, reliably and deemed trustworthy. I agree that BT are pretty poor at this on an individual level - and absurdly bad for those who get repeatedly put back.

Unfortunately the scale works against us here, as we humans find it too easy to focus on the one delayed cabinet, and too hard to see the big picture. It is, unfortunately, too easy to extrapolate wrongly, and to start to rant in protest when we see 10 or 20 delays.

However, with BT managing to pass between a million and 1.5 million homes each quarter, that's between 2,500 and 3,750 cabinets (or 200-300 cabinets each week). We barely hear from the people on those cabinets that *are* enabled.

In our heads, the emotional response only cares about 1 cabinet - our own. The rational response over the other 2499 doesn't get a look in.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to