General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Jan-13 04:31:40
Print Post

Re: Worht reporting to Sky? (Ongoing issue)

[re: Richeh] [link to this post]

It might just be that line management is settling down.

When I had a line fault which brought my speeds down from 80Mbps to 30Mbps I had lots of disconnections as line management kicked in.
When the line was fixed the modem was changing sync sometimes 3 times a day. This kind of behaviour continued for around a week when it settled back at a full 80Mbps down. Now no further drop outs.

In the past I have had sky investigating just one or two drop outs per day.

It should be stable though. Mine doesn't drop out at all now the line fault's resolved.

I would definitely get them onto this. I had a fault Sky Hub initially which dropped the connection even when the modem wasn't dropping out.

Do you often see the "oops your connection has dropped frown?" It looks just like this.
http://i46.tinypic.com/rlamoh.jpg

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 24-Jan-13 04:35:57)

Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Thu 24-Jan-13 10:18:57
Print Post

You might be in for a long wait, mine still fluctuates 6 months on......

Standard User Richeh
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 15:12:53
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Hmm, well my DLM was reset on the line fix over 3 weeks ago now. Surely I shouldn't still be getting daily disconnections and re-syncs this far in? If it was early morning I wouldn't mind but as I get maybe a couple of hours every day max to play a game the last 2 times i've played its disconnected right in the middle!

Although I see someone mentions 6 months its still fluctuating I can't see that being normal. Wish I had gone with BT as opposed to Sky!

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...

Edited by Richeh (Thu 24-Jan-13 15:22:59)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Jan-13 15:16:34
Print Post

DLM never stops on fibre optic. It's more aggressive at the start but that's about it.
If your line randomly improves DLM kicks in. Same if it gets worse.

You shouldn't expect disconnections at this stage though.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 15:28:25
Print Post

Just did a Sky router reboot back down to:

DownStream Connection Speed 20000
UpStream Connection Speed 6668

For the last week one odd thing I have noticed is with the Sky hub when I access the web panel every time I click a page I get '400 Bad Request No request found.' I just need to refresh the page for it to work but would this indicate a possible problem with the hub?

I told the last engineer I wasn't sure if the BT box possibly needed replacing as when it was first installed the engineer dropped it twice and dropped a big screwdriver on it 3 times. Now the Sky Hub is having weird issues as well i'm wondering if Sky would let me just say 'Can you just send me 2 new boxes, save the engineer visit for now and let me see if that fixes it' but am sure they have their protocols etc

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Jan-13 15:38:54
Print Post

Sky dont have any modems. No fibre provider has these. The only way to get a replacement is to get a engineer out.

The Sky Hub they will replace very easily.

If you have tried a full reset by holding the reset button for 10 seconds
& also
You have also tried turning it off. Holding reset for 30 seconds with it off.
Turn it in and hold reset for 30 seconds.
Turn it off again and help reset for a further 30.

If that doesn't help you should get a new one.

I have never seen that error page once whilst browsing admin interface. My sky hub hasn't skipped a beat even after months of being on constantly.

It's very odd that the admin page is showing errors it shouldn't ever do that. These pages should work fine.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Thu 24-Jan-13 15:39:32)

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Jan-13 15:40:15
Print Post

When the Internet drops does the openreach modem DSL light go off or stay green?
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Thu 24-Jan-13 20:12:35
Print Post

Both I 'think'. Last night for instance the DSL light went off on the BT modem but then there have been other times when i'm looking at my torrents or the net and suddenly no connection, look at my torrent client which has speed monitoring etc and can see that it has dropped to 0 for 30 seconds or so but all the lights stay on from the BT modem and the lights don't shift on the Sky Hub either.

Sky Hub doesn't surprise me as its useless, even if the DSL light drops on the BT modem it still shows the godamn stupid smiley face on the front! tongue

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 24-Jan-13 20:47:09
Print Post

This is all really odd behaviour!

The lights staying on indicates the line hasn't dropped out generally.

My sky hub isn't useless. Works perfect and the smiley face on mine goes off within half a second of my connection dropping.

I think the equipment might be faulty as the lights are staying green etc yet the connections appearing to drop out. I also think there's a definite line issue as at other points the openreach modems obviously dropping.

Get someone out as it should just work 100%
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Fri 25-Jan-13 16:56:57
Print Post

Cheers for your help.

I'll probably give them a call tomorrow, this will be my 5th engineer visit hence the hesitance phoning again as if they can't sort it by now I don't think they have any idea where to go. The last engineer even said after he replaced the broken cables that he honestly has no idea what is wrong if that didn't fix it but as it connected at 26.9MB straight away it appeared problem solved. Now 3 weeks later down to 20MB and around one daily disconnection!

Am I right in thinking that only BT engineers will authorise a new BT box?

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to