General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Jan-13 17:43:02
Print Post

Re: Worht reporting to Sky? (Ongoing issue)

[re: Richeh] [link to this post]

Sky authorise the new sky hub. This is definitely giving you trouble so 100% get it swapped out. It's giving all kinds of errors on admin pages etc that it shouldn't be doing.

Out of interest if you pull out the ethernet cable between the modem and the router does the smiley face go off? It should do this pretty much instantly.

The openreach modem that's an interesting one. I'm not sure who makes the decision. I would assume the engineer although if it broke eg. kept turning off randomly sky would send an engineer to replace it.

I understand your frustration. The only trouble is that line issues like this are not usually ISP dependant. It's generally a fault somewhere which would just transfer to another ISP if you switched.
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Mon 28-Jan-13 16:10:39
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

Just phoned up today (first time I could bare it). Have been forwarded to the 'Customer Resolution Team' who will contact me within 3 days. Last time I was told this had an engineer turn up at 7:40am the next day knocking on our door! He didn't fix anything either. So will see how this turns out.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get a new Sky Hub, I explained the problems but he could either send me a new hub OR refer up so I chose to be referred up as the Hub has nothing to do with the DSL losing sync.

Now I have to wait for a text with a reference number (and supposedly a direct line number as well) and then wait 3 days.

So exciting!

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Jan-13 16:15:53
Print Post

That's good.

When the openreach modem DSL light goes off that is a loss of sync.

If the openreach light is green and you cannot get online. The Sky hub is to blame here.
The Sky hub actually authenticates you onto the network via MER.
If you constantly unplug the Sky hub and not the openreach modem Sky will still register this as a disconnection at their end.
It does more than just pump wireless around the house.

I think you said earlier that the connection drops when the modem has a green light? & you have problems with the admin pages. So here the router is looking faulty.

Anyho not to worry. When the engineer comes out do not list any issues with the sky hub. Say it's been perfect. Then it points to their modem or the line.

If they can blame your equipment e.g. sky hub, computer etc I find they do.

Once the engineer goes on his way get a new hub sent out just to be safe smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Jan-13 17:30:01
Print Post

On standard broadband before fibre did you get any drop outs?

Can you describe your internal setup to me please? Even a cable just being slightly crushed causes my fibre to drop out all the time. I had my RJ11 cable hidden behind the skirting board and this caused it to drop as it pressed the cable. Sounds daft but it would be good to know every detail of your setup.

1) Does the house have any extension sockets? So e.g. another socket upstairs
2) Do the extensions run from the master socket or are they wired in before it?
Very often the line goes in at the loft, the line then splits to all of the extensions in the loft. One of these extensions is made the master socket. In truth the master isn't filtering the extensions. Is this anything like you?
3) What other devices connect to your phone line, e.g. sky boxes, fax machines etc
4) Are any cables crushed
5) Does the fibre modem connect directly to the master socket with the short provided rj11 cable or is this extended?
6) Does the fibre socket look like this http://tinyurl.com/aswzwns
7) Has any of the equipment been dropped - if so it's probably faulty. My openreach modem fell around 30cm and although it worked still it caused drop outs all the time.
8) If the house has extensions. Is anything connected to the extensions?

Can't think of much more right now.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Mon 28-Jan-13 17:35:40)

Standard User Richeh
(committed) Mon 28-Jan-13 21:06:02
Print Post

[re: ukhardy07] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ukhardy07:
1) Does the house have any extension sockets? - Nope, new master socket wired directly to the room with the hub/computer in it.
2) Do the extensions run from the master socket or are they wired in before it? - N/A
3) What other devices connect to your phone line - Cordless phone, happens without it plugged in as well.
4) Are any cables crushed - No all free and hanging!
5) Does the fibre modem connect directly to the master socket with the short provided rj11 cable or is this extended? - Cable that came with
6) Does the fibre socket look like this http://tinyurl.com/aswzwns - Yep
7) Has any of the equipment been dropped - if so it's probably faulty. My openreach modem fell around 30cm and although it worked still it caused drop outs all the time. - Yep as mentioned in my posts above, Openreach modem was dropped and had things dropped on it. Will obviously tell the engineer AGAIN should one come.
8) If the house has extensions. Is anything connected to the extensions? - N/A

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...
Standard User Richeh
(committed) Fri 01-Feb-13 16:07:46
Print Post

Sky phoned today (another 24 hours later than promised).

First the guy tried to explain that the speed has been locked at 20Mbps as the next step is 25Mbps and my line 'must' (as in knowone has even checked) have produced too many errors so its dropped to 20Mbps. Ok I said but what about the disconnections? Well it looks like the line hasn't disconnected here....

Absolutely useless, after explaining in every single godamn phone call I have had with them you would think some bright spark would realise 'hang on, we're not seeing everything from our modem reports, we should do something about that'. After I assured him the DSL was losing sync daily (and in my opinion the likely cause of the drop to 20mb, if its disconnecting for whatever the reason the DLM will think its unstable and drop the speed) he told me that he would need to refer it for an engineer but unfortunately they can't get one for me tomorrow as once you reach the afternoon you cant book for the following day, ok although if they had rung me when they were supposed to then it would of been yesterday. We arranged it for thursday as i'm off work and explained I simply could not take more annual leave for more engineer visits.

I then asked him about the BT modem being replaced, wasn't noted anywhere of course and he said he would add a note to make sure BT bring a new one. I then said about the Sky box and he 'wasn't convinced' the box is broken, I explained about the 400 Bad request errors to which he said he hadn't heard about AND couldn't understand how I had seen it on the Sky help forums as it had never been mentioned before....I told him to enter '400 bad request' into the search box on the forums. But alas cannot replace the Sky Hub as we're going the BT route first.

Unfortunately, I can no longer cancel with Sky, as you can cancel within 3 months if you receive below 15Mbps but they fixed that so I get 5 more but daily disconnects. I would rather go with BT just so when you do phone them they will actually have access to real helpful information.

Sorry for the rant but I am fully expecting more calls, more visits and likely the engineer turns up thursday but didn't know he had to bring a new BT modem!

Back at parents:

Sky Broadband Unlimited:
4mb down 768k up frown

Waiting on fibre...

Edited by Richeh (Fri 01-Feb-13 16:09:23)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 01-Feb-13 18:05:00
Print Post

declaire your sky router as broken. You may have to switch it off, say at night, go to bed and then ring up the next morning. See if they will send a new one. wait another 2 hrs then off you go again...

IanD
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to