General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User omgFTTC
(regular) Sun 03-Feb-13 22:55:18
Print Post

Finallly getting TalkTalk Fibre

[link to this post]

As per subject,

Getting installed Tuesday, seems like forever, last June at least.

fingers crossed for a smooth install will update thread with speed test when done, pre install estimate 32mb down.
Standard User omgFTTC
(regular) Tue 05-Feb-13 10:24:48
Print Post

Re: Finallly getting TalkTalk Fibre

[re: omgFTTC] [link to this post]

up and running now yay smile

only strange thing, guy had his box connected said I was getting 40meg down, my estimated speed was 32.7 so pleased at that for sure

but every test I have run cant emulate that speed, any ideas?

downloaded a large file via torrent to see speed and it maxed out at 3.1MB/s

My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by omgFTTC (Tue 05-Feb-13 10:26:56)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Feb-13 13:13:07
Print Post

His 40Mbps will be the sync speed. IP Profile on that will be 38.7Mbps.

Th original estimate is usually exceeded at first, but can fall for three reasons.

I'm afraid that in the first few days it can drop significantly as the DLM kicks in frown. Longer term you can lose some because of cross-talk as more people get connected to the same cabinet. And if interleaving is added you get a nasty drop.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 05-Feb-13 13:17:50
Print Post

Try more than one file being downloaded at the same time e.g. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/download.html and monitor using a tool like tbbmeter

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Tue 05-Feb-13 13:17:55
Print Post

Sometimes the ISP needs to update their records, otherwise they cap your connection at your old ADSL speeds, this has happened a few times with Plusnet.

Standard User omgFTTC
(member) Tue 05-Feb-13 13:25:32
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

thanks for replies guys, will keep an eye on it,

did another test hard wired

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2487601847.png
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Feb-13 13:31:49
Print Post

Ah right smile. As you know, wireless speed testing always was dodgy on ADSLx, but on VDSL2 it really is unreliable. Unless you have a superb WAP in your router and a good card in your PC.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Tue 05-Feb-13 16:51:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
And if interleaving is added you get a nasty drop.

My connection switched back to fastpath for the first time since it was installed back in December (the interleaving depth was 1063 before the resync) and the sync has gone from 65 Mbps to 74 Mbps.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 05-Feb-13 22:31:17
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

I wish mine would frown.

Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Feb-13 11:47:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Mine does, about every 3-4 months, for a couple of weeks, then it's back to interleaved. It's a small bonus!

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Feb-13 14:49:18
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

I reckon that we should all get used to the fact that interleaving is going to end up on every line when take-up gets high enough, and that these initial years (or months) are the golden ones.

My own rule of thumb is that the original FTTC on profile 8c gave us one third of the speed, the switch to profile 17a gives us the second third, and the final third comes (or gets restored) from vectoring.

Roll on vectoring then...
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Wed 06-Feb-13 15:12:40
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Some level of interleaving and FEC will probably become more common, though I doubt it will be seen on every line.

In my area, Virgin Media got here first with broadband and the majority of people still seem to be on Virgin, as can be seen from the SSIDs of many of the wireless networks.

This entire side of town (to within around 100m of the exchange) was built in the late seventies and early eighties with decent underground copper D side cabling. I'd think it likely that the E side cabling was an entirely new deployment at that time (which explains why it was always pretty good for ADSL and ADSL2+, though, of course, the E side plays no part in FTTC other than carrying the voice signal from the exchange). As a result, there's none of the junky old line plant many people have to suffer - no old paper insulated cable, no pairs with low twist ratio, no untwisted wiring and no aluminium (so far as I know). All the BT Openreach line plant is underground in ducts - the only overhead stuff is outside the town itself.

There's a relatively high number of PCPs, though the housing is moderately dense - I expect it gives a good balance of relatively short D side cables and a decent number of properties per PCP to make the FTTC roll-out economically viable.

I'd expect this area to be something of a best case scenario for FTTC, though as FTTC is still relatively new and BT Retail are aggressively marketing Infinity, it remains to be seen how high take-up will eventually be. According to the engineer, I was the second FTTC connection on the PCP, and I still have the same latency I had at install, which implies I'm still on fast path. My router keeps RRD graphs of first hop latency and I have thinkbroadband BQM running, so I can keep an eye on those even though I haven't hacked my modem.

As you rightly say, deployment of vectoring offers hope of minimising near-end crosstalk at the DSLAM, which is the majority of crosstalk experienced in a VDSL2 deployment. Hopefully BT Openreach are continuing to work towards deploying vectoring across their FTTC footprint.

The next generation after VDSL2 is likely to require PON - VDSL2 gets pretty much to the limits of copper twisted pairs. Being optical, PON has no issues with crosstalk and REIN. It remains to be seen how the FTTP and FTTB footprint grows in the next few years.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to