General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User radio
(member) Sun 17-Feb-13 15:14:32
Print Post

Will I be enabled?

[link to this post]

The top half of my housing estate has been fibre enabled for some time. The bottom half, where I live, is stuck at 3-3.5 meg.
I found out that a new cabinet was being built a while ago, and confirmed that it was for FTTC. I assumed that once it was up, the BT Infinity website would let me place an order.
I've confirmed that the cabinet is ready, from the email below:
"The new BT cabinet (referred to as Banbury PCP073) is stood and powered. It was stood on 8th November 2012 and powered on 17th January 2013"
Still nothing on the BT site though, do I just need to be patient, or does this mean I'm not likely to be able to get FTTC at all?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 17-Feb-13 15:49:52
Print Post

Re: Will I be enabled?

[re: radio] [link to this post]

Stood and powered, but does it have the fibre installed to it, and copper link to the old cabinet and also being commissioned.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 17-Feb-13 16:43:40
Print Post

The BT wholesale checker is showing an estimated date of September 2013, so eventually yes you will be able to get FTTC. Note that the September date is only estimated and often changes.

If you want to know what speed your should get try the number checker or the address checker.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 17-Feb-13 16:44:17)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User radio
(member) Sun 17-Feb-13 16:55:14
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Wow, thank you for that link! It told me I can get fibre now, which prompted me to check the BT infinity page again, which confirmed it! Now, to decide on a provider!
(I swear, on Friday, the BT infinity page said I couldn't get it!)
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 17-Feb-13 18:43:09
Print Post

Well, you must be on a different cabinet to PCP73, as that still shows September 2013 as an estimated date.

PS. I can recommend Plus Net.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 17-Feb-13 18:43:40)

Standard User radio
(member) Sun 17-Feb-13 19:24:03
Print Post

Nope, 73:
Address xxxx on Exchange BANBURY is served by Cabinet 73

WBC FTTC Up to 40.6 Up to 6.5 -- Available
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sun 17-Feb-13 19:38:08
Print Post

How strange, I picked a postcode from the 2011 leaked spreadsheet which was 100% on cabinet SMBB 73, and then chose a random address from that postcode, and it states September 2013, but no cabinet number.

But I've just tried another house number in the same postcode and it shows FTTC as available on PCP 73, probably just a glitch in the database.

Standard User radio
(member) Sun 17-Feb-13 20:04:58
Print Post

Regardless, looking good for me getting fibre, so thanks!
Standard User jonbsbd
(newbie) Fri 22-Feb-13 13:33:32
Print Post

Changing status

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I've linked to this thread as it regards Banbury - sorry if this seems like a hijack.
I have a strange situation - everyone I've talked to doesn't believe me, I'm not even sure I believe myself anymore. I've gone over my history to try and find out when I did this. About a month ago, after getting a new TV and looking at iplayer, i decided to look into Fibre. I am sure I did a test on my line and it suggested that FTTC was available with an estimated speed of about 60 meg. I was really pleased. I've even had a couple of BT 'invites' to join Infinity, which I presumed were only sent to postcodes that were enabled.
Today I decided to go ahead an get it ordered, but now there is no mention of availability. Have spoken to BT and been put through various departments, mainly saying that the exchange is not enabled, however Openreach sites clearly show that Banbury is enabled, and other addresses/phone numbers within 500 to 600m are showing FTTC (I checked my daughters school number, which I presume is on a different cabinet).
Ive searched all the normal links postcode OX16 0BB and my cabinet has 24 printed on it - FTTC Check shows P24, 100%, 5.94, 5b, Part of deployment, FTTC on Exchnage SMBB Accepting orders. BT Wholesale indicate that the cabinet has ADSL2+ Annex M, but no FTTC.
O2 have emailed my saying that my service my be knocked out on Friday next week (I was then hopeful this might mean Fibre) but BT seemed to think any Fibre upgrade wouldn't affect the service at all, and that this was more likely a switch to ADSL 2+ (even though it is already showing on my cabinet)
Is there anyone who might be able to shed any more light on this please? I know it sounds like I was mistaken on the original test, but I am 99.999% sure that I saw it, just doubting my sanity now!!
Thanks
Jonathan
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Fri 22-Feb-13 14:27:19
Print Post

Re: Changing status

[re: jonbsbd] [link to this post]

When you checked the BT wholesale asdl checker did you just use the Postcode checker?

As is very inaccurate as areas can be covered by multiple cabinets, its best to use the telephone number if your phone is with BT, if on a llu number use the address checker.

Thats cab 24 below, does it have a FTTC twin next to it (green cabinet- be one of the two below)

http://goo.gl/maps/Cv01b

http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/bt_furniture_4.html
or
http://www.robertos.me.uk/html/bt_furniture_2.html

If you can post back to say if the FTTC cab is installed- (can hear the fans near the vent though they are quiet) and what the wholesale checker says for number/adddress.

Either cab 24 is not installed/ive or its currently full and awaiting increased capacity from Openreach is either new cards or a second FTTC cab.

Orange BB 5856/448

Edited by ccxo (Fri 22-Feb-13 14:28:40)

Standard User Spasch
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Feb-13 14:28:09
Print Post

It's possible that the cabinet has no more capacity at the moment.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Feb-13 15:44:36
Print Post

[re: ccxo] [link to this post]

All lines at that postcode are served by cabinet 24.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Feb-13 15:50:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by jonbsbd:
O2 have emailed my saying that my service my be knocked out on Friday next week (I was then hopeful this might mean Fibre) but BT seemed to think any Fibre upgrade wouldn't affect the service at all, and that this was more likely a switch to ADSL 2+ (even though it is already showing on my cabinet)
Your O2 service is LLU and ADSL2+ anyway. Nothing whatsoever to do with the BT Wholesale checker ADSL2+.

If O2 are saying there is going to be disruption to your service it is probably to do with the new O2/Be network rollout.

O2 have no plans for fibre so far as anyone knows. Even if they did it would use the BT Openreach FTTC that BT Wholesale is telling you about.

It is possible to ask Openreach about the cabinet, but I don't have the email address to hand. They seem to take about three weeks to respond.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User jonbsbd
(newbie) Fri 22-Feb-13 17:02:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Wow - thanks everyone for your immediate responses. Its really helpful, and very much appreciated.

OK - so the google street view link that was posted by ccxo is the bottom of my road. There definitely isnt a new box right next to it, but I think that may be because it kind of sits on someones garden (or they have adopted the lawn over time!!). There is, however, a new box over the road on the corner of Burns Road that looks very similar to the Huawei 128 but with a slightly different lock on it (grey instead of green). I couldnt hear any fans, but then I was out on a run and had headphones loosely blocking my ears and it is next to a main road (I was also trying to look as inconspicuous as possible listening to a green box!!!) You cant see the box in this photo, but it is next to the grey post office box pictured. Its about 15 to 20 metres away over the road from Cabinet 24 (which is just behind the VW you can see driving down the main road). Seems a bit pointless (sorry) but I've put the link in just to show the box is new since Google took their photo and to show exactly where it is. Not sure if I can post links as a new member, and it doesnt show up in the preview, but here goes..

if not, here is the text http://goo.gl/maps/BQANO

It was nice to hear the suggestion from spasch and ccxo that perhaps capacity has run out, and that maybe I am not losing my mind. Although having read something before on this forum or the BT forum, wouldnt the status be listed as awaiting capacity or something like that? (I seem to have done alot of reading today)

I did do every search I could. FTTC Check, BT Wholesale postcode, BT Wholesale Address and also BT Wholesale Tel number. SamKnows, and then the BT Retail and Plusnet sites.

If there are any other thoughts, or RobertoS if you find the email address for OpenReach, I would be grateful.

Jonathan
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Feb-13 19:30:55
Print Post

[email protected]

Standard User jonbsbd
(newbie) Fri 22-Feb-13 20:14:47
Print Post

Many thanks.
Jonathan
Standard User jonbsbd
(newbie) Fri 01-Mar-13 16:31:05
Print Post

Hmmm - really frustrated now.

I have just spoken to an engineer working on my cabinet, who is installing BT Infinity for someone just up the road from me, whose line comes from the same telegraph pole as mine. The engineer said there is no reason why i shouldn't be able to get FTTC, as he was installing it right now for someone else.

BT Wholesale shows its not available - SamKnows seems to think it should be available.

BT have just suggested (by phone) that perhaps they opened up orders and have accepted a few to 'test' the cabinet to make sure all is ok. That sounds like a fob off to me, but might be right I suppose. Anyone heard of that happening in reality?

Have sent email to the openreach site a week ago, no reply as yet, but that is expected (less than 10 days so far)

Thanks for you help

Jonathan
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Mar-13 22:23:29
Print Post

What does the Plusnet checker say for your phone number? It could just be BT Retail that is screwed up for you.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to