General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 27-Jan-15 09:50:45
Print Post

Re: Home refurb - how to prepare for FTTH

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Minor point-

Should any pull rope/cord be slightly over twice the length of the duct, so that it can be returned to "storage" within the duct, available if required again in the future?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 27-Jan-15 09:59:37
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by eckiedoo:
Minor point-

Should any pull rope/cord be slightly over twice the length of the duct, so that it can be returned to "storage" within the duct, available if required again in the future?

Can be useful, however can you imagine an underground chamber or manhole with maybe 5 coils or rope each one over 100m long being stored. And will it always start at the correct end?

A better way is to tie a second cord to the first along with the cable, pull both through and then use the new cord to pull the original rope back.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 27-Jan-15 10:57:57
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Or just untie the original from the new as well as from the cable?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Tue 27-Jan-15 11:03:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The new will come off a drum and is much easier to roll it back on and store.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User eckiedoo
(experienced) Tue 27-Jan-15 11:23:45
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks to you both, MHC and Zarjaz.

It was in part to remind the OP that there is this complication, should there be a later need to pull more cables/fibres through the same duct.
Standard User Zarjaz
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Jan-15 18:07:20
Print Post

[re: mattaitken] [link to this post]

I must admit, I suspect you've damned the telephony side of things time-wise. As Mr.S says, try the new sites team. They *may* be able to get some duct out to you in time for it go in to the open trench .... but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Fri 30-Jan-15 09:29:41
Print Post

I would lay duct with a rope in it to the BT standards in the developer guide. Use large radii for future fibre.

http://www.draindepot.co.uk/index.asp?u=107&m=&cat=3...

HTH

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User mattaitken
(newbie) Fri 30-Jan-15 09:40:13
Print Post

Re: Home refurb - how to prepare for FTTH *DELETED*

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Post deleted by mattaitken
Standard User mattaitken
(newbie) Fri 30-Jan-15 09:50:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks everyone! I'm new to this forum and thought I'd get emails if anyone replied, so had assumed inbox silence meant no responses. Delighted to see I was wrong smile

I found a PDF developer guide on one of the links here and it says Duct56 for copper and fibre, but I wasn't 100% sure it meant both in the same duct so thanks for clarifying, MrSaffron!

WWWombat, I've tried New Sites at Openreach and even got as far as sending them an application form last week, but they rejected it when they realised it wasn't a new BUILD and we live in the property that's being developed. I have in no uncertain terms been redirected to make a consumer broadband subscription order in order to trigger the process for a BT site survey. Hence last Fri I signed up with PlusNet who tell me Openreach with be out on 18th Feb, 2 days before the council require the trenches are filled in! crazy thanks nonetheless for the suggestion.

yarwell, that link looks GREAT - thank you. As zarjaz says, it looks like I'm on my own time-wise, so underground prep is where it's at. I think this link along with the confirmation from MrS gives me what I need (duct and rope) to have the underground bit sorted. As long as nothing goes wrong with the pull cord, all should be well.

Having said that, we'll have to see whether they're willing to lay fibre alongside copper in an area where we don't yet have a fibre option. I hope so!

If anyone thinks 50mm duct and a draw-rope is insufficient, please let me know ASAP, but otherwise I shall toddle off and purchase lots of each.

thanks again smile
Standard User ian72
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Jan-15 10:25:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by mattaitken:
Thanks everyone! I'm new to this forum and thought I'd get emails if anyone replied, so had assumed inbox silence meant no responses. Delighted to see I was wrong smile

There is an option when you post to "E-mail all replies to my real e-mail address". Not turned on by default as with the number of posts some people make their inbox would be flooded wink

There is also an option in your user account settings to automatically send replies via email and also for PMs.

Edited by ian72 (Fri 30-Jan-15 10:26:24)

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to