General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Jan-15 10:40:18
Print Post

Re: Home refurb - how to prepare for FTTH

[re: mattaitken] [link to this post]

If you stick to the spec of the developers guide, and maybe put two lots of ducting in to be absolutely safe (compared to the hassle later when doing it yourself it is worthwhile)

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mattaitken
(newbie) Fri 30-Jan-15 11:45:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks Ian. Nice to see "don't flood me with email" as the default setting for a change! smile

presumably even if I want fibre and copper, I'll need two lengths of pull-cord even if I have a single duct? The link to buy the stuff does next day delivery so I may see what mr openreach says and grab a second run in a rush if we need it. I'll get plenty of pull cord to do the distance twice. I presume we should be able to pull a second length of cord up with the first cable run?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Jan-15 11:47:37
Print Post

I've leave those who have played with Openreach duct to explain. My digging around in ducts only goes as far as some limited playtime at wet festivals and that is a blur now

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Fri 30-Jan-15 12:09:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by mattaitken:
thanks Ian. Nice to see "don't flood me with email" as the default setting for a change! smile
The options are at the bottom of the page of the "My Home" tab. Also on that page, the "Favourite forums" a lot of us use instead of the huge Forum Index.
I'll need two lengths of pull-cord even if I have a single duct? The link to buy the stuff does next day delivery so I may see what mr openreach says and grab a second run in a rush if we need it. I'll get plenty of pull cord to do the distance twice. I presume we should be able to pull a second length of cord up with the first cable run?
Three lengths if you lay two ducts.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 30-Jan-15 12:09:34)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 30-Jan-15 12:11:24
Print Post

You can put two lengths in - they do have a habit of twisting around each other though. Just recently it took me about 2 hours to pull 25 metres because cable had been badly run and twisted.

As you say an installed single length can be enough. The cable and another rope are attached and pulled through. The second rope is used to pull the first one back. Just leave a few metres at each end, attached to a block that is too big to be pulled into the duct.

Just check everything with OR when they visit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Fri 30-Jan-15 12:15:16)

Standard User mattaitken
(newbie) Fri 30-Jan-15 14:03:34
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

spot on - thanks smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to