General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 09:47:29
Print Post

Fibre to fibre

[link to this post]

Quick(ish) question.
Why,if I want to change provider, from one fibre product to another, do I need to go back to plain old adsl. Im trying (really trying), to leave sky FU for Plusnet UF

Edited by HiPing (Fri 08-Mar-13 10:04:36)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Fri 08-Mar-13 09:57:58
Print Post

Re: Fibre to fibre

[re: HiPing] [link to this post]

A few more details would be useful. From which service to which and with which providers.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:03:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Whoops, edited for you.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:04:01
Print Post

No

The complication is the return to donor side, where the phone line is going from fully unbundled to a WLR product I suspect.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:10:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Surely in this day and age the transition process could be made a lot simpler.
Plusnet could not take over the line as there was an "incompatible product" on it and they suggested I phone sky, to get them to remove it. I assume the "incompatible product" is the LLU fibre. sky are unable or unwilling (long story) to downgrade me at this time to plain old dsl and even a cancelation of the line would take 2 weeks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:14:18
Print Post

Are you ordering a fibre and telephone service from Plusnet?
Ordering JUST fibre will definetly not work, due to how Sky deliver the telephone part of their service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:17:50
Print Post

No, Im going for Fibre/Phone. Kudos to Plusnet though, they did try and see if they could take over just the broadband and tackle the phone side later, no luck on that though.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Mar-13 10:25:36
Print Post

Plusnet should have known better, it is not a secret that Sky use full LLU rather than a WLR product for the telephone service usually.

The procedure should not be very different from moving from a standard ADSL2+ and phone via full LLU to plusnet phone and broadband i.e. http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/migration.html#s...

Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 11:26:02
Print Post

I take it that this is what Plusnet have tried to do, but for some reason it being fibre not adsl (god knows why) it cant get passed over. I have asked sky to put me on to adsl but their systems "were unavailable" at the time, so it could not be completed. I have to wait 48hrs for a callback. Things did get a bit heated and I said just cancel the whole line but even that takes 2 weeks.
Plusnet should have known better, it is not a secret that Sky use full LLU rather than a WLR product for the telephone service usually.

Plusnet were quick enough to take my money (£29.99) and I am surprised they did not know about this as well.
So now I have an account with both sky and Plusnet, seems Im stuck between a rock and a hard place.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 08-Mar-13 12:05:57
Print Post

Sky moving you onto ADSL would probably mean a new contract as requires physical changes that they will be charged for

Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 19:01:23
Print Post

Just got off the phone with Plusnet. They said there is a problem (going on two weeks), trying to get people over from any Fibre LLU service. BT are aware of this and admit there is a "bug" which is causing the "incompatible product" info to show up.
Plusnet said that BT are working on a fix but dont know a timescale for completion.
If this is the case, surely this must be happening all over the network, regardless of provider.

Never rains but it pours.

Edited by HiPing (Fri 08-Mar-13 19:11:19)

Standard User simon194
(committed) Fri 08-Mar-13 21:28:33
Print Post

I've found the best way to switch ISP's when LLU is involved is to have a new line installed. Costs a bit more but you have backup in case anything goes wrong.
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 21:39:12
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

If I had the spare cash I would.
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 21:57:03
Print Post

Re: Fibre to fibre *DELETED*

Post deleted by HiPing
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Fri 08-Mar-13 22:00:34
Print Post

Well here is the info from the Plusnet Support horses mouth:

We are currently having difficulties transferring customers across to us when their line in in the LLU network and the customer currently has fibre services.

I advised that we and our suppliers are aware of this issue are we are working with our suppliers for a resolution.

I advised that I cannot provide you any set time scales as to when this issue will be rectified. You may wish to cancel because of this and I provided the number for our customer options team and the opening times.

We appreciate your patience throughout this process. Once we have any updates we shall be in contact to advise

It would be interesting to know how many TB users who are in the same situation whoever the provider.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 09-Mar-13 05:44:06
Print Post

I agree with mrsaffron.

It may well be the case either plusnet or BT systems have script errors that block the order progressing.

But there is the likelyhood of a manual overide process that will be possible which I assume could be done if plusnet manually escalated it within BTw, I be surprised if someone like aaisp got stopped by this.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Sat 09-Mar-13 12:09:05
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

i did post a link to an Openreach process update on this, it requires a few orders to be placed in a particular order and then linked together within a time period of the first one being placed.

It was something like :-

LLU MPF return to donor
FTTC cease
Sim provide WLR and FTTC

from memory, and it was scattered with permutations of 1,2 or 3 CPs.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User simon194
(committed) Sat 09-Mar-13 21:58:47
Print Post

If you went with BT I think a new line is still free.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 10-Mar-13 22:15:06
Print Post

In reply to a post by HiPing:
Well here is the info from the Plusnet Support horses mouth: ....
All very odd. See this thread, with three successful transfers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User HiPing
(learned) Sun 10-Mar-13 23:34:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Looking at that thread, I don't see any mention of them moving from a Sky Fibre product, just Sky LLU, which I may wrongly assume to be plain old ADSL2/2+. If indeed they are moving from Fibre, yes indeed, all very odd.

Edited by HiPing (Mon 11-Mar-13 09:47:26)

Standard User HiPing
(learned) Mon 11-Mar-13 14:56:23
Print Post

Just a wee update:
Openreach rolled out a fix but this did not have any effect. They are currently assessing other solutions.
unfortunately there isn't a fix for the problem we are having migrating your services across to Plusnet. The last update we received from our suppliers indicated that they may be redesigning an entire system as the fix that was rolled out last week has not yet resolved the issue.
The only way of overcoming this problem is by carrying out a line installation at a cost of £49.99 which currently you would need to pay for. Our managers are currently investigating this to see if it is an alternative route we can take however as explained, the cost implications to the business need to be discussed with senior management before we can offer this.

I might just be tempted to get a new line, considering its half the cost of what I thought it would be. If I did go for a new line, could I just "cease" my line with Sky, once my new one is up and running? I'm still free to leave at no cost. Plusnet did say I could reserve current my phone number so it could eventually replace the new one allocated to my new line, without too much disruption.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 11-Mar-13 14:57:41
Print Post

A cease via Sky may well generate an extra cost too in the £30 to £40 region

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to