General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Apr-13 19:20:47
Print Post

Re: Will the engineer let me have fibre though I moved socke

[re: worldofadsl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by worldofadsl:
You should run a loose piece of cat5e cable and re-sync to see what speed you get.

Once the system sets you sync speed it is going to be a pain to get it reconfigured.

You want to get this sorted out ASAP. The first 10 days after you get it installed are crucial.
FTTC only has a 10-day period in the minds of BT Wholesale. Their DLM does not affect the sync speed. Only the Openreach DLM does that, operating from the moment of connection.

I agree with you about trying a loose length of CAT5 before doing any major works smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Computerman142
(newbie) Wed 03-Apr-13 21:18:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK thanks for the info on the DLM, I though it changed the sync speed just like ADSL if there were errors but I guess not. I will try some CAT5e at some point but probably not anytime in next couple of months.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Apr-13 21:51:25
Print Post

[re: Computerman142] [link to this post]

The Openreach DLM does alter speeds. But not by adjusting the noise margin. It uses "banding" giving a range of speeds to be used - that's if it decides not to let it just do its own thing, which most lines do.

The exception is Interleaving. That is the OR DLM's most common intervention, and it does it quite drastically. A typical speed drop is 10Mbps or so, with a latency increase of approximately 8ms. It can also revert back to Fast Path if it later decides the problem was temporary.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Wed 03-Apr-13 23:03:55
Print Post

So does interleaving occur when there are errors on the line, I not quite sure what it means but I right in thinking it helps determine the best speed for your line along with the DLM or have I completely missed it?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 03-Apr-13 23:26:48
Print Post

Interleaving is a way of correcting small data errors in the packets transmitted, it adds some latency

Generally not of concenrn unless you are a super twitchy gamer

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 03-Apr-13 23:55:51
Print Post

I like this explanation of interleaving.

It doesn't have much effect on ADSLx connection speeds, but seems to have a dramatic effect on FTTC. This could well be that on ASLx you normally only see depths of under 100. (Depth is the number of packets "whole" ones are split across). On FTTC it seems to be several hundred or even into four figures.

My guess is that as the modem has to re-assemble stuff back to the original packets as it comes in, that's a lot of work for it to do on FTTC.

(newbie) Thu 04-Apr-13 09:40:15
Print Post

Now I know what interleaving is, I wasn't quite sure, but thank you for yours and the people on this forums help on all of master socket moving and all the other things to do with fibre optic and telephone cable, etc.
(newbie) Mon 08-Apr-13 20:46:19
Print Post

I think I have found out why me and my friend a couple of doors away is only getting 25 Mbps is because 0.6 miles equals 1000m. Which is how far the cabinet I am connected to is away from the house, that explains why I and my friend are getting 25 Mbps. Because according to thinkbroaband FTTC guide 1000m = 24 Mbps I am around that speed now, so If I did change the cable I Dont think it would make that much of a difference according to the information I found out about how far my cabinet is away and thinbroadband's guide.
(newbie) Thu 02-May-13 20:52:14
Print Post

Hi again

As my fibre speed have now dropped to 10 - 12 Mbps ish, I think I need to replace the alarm wire. What cable do guys recommend for fibre from the line coming in from outside to the master socket? As well as the cable for my extension?

Thanks

Edited by Computerman142 (Thu 02-May-13 20:52:51)

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Thu 02-May-13 21:00:20
Print Post

Either twisted pair phone cable to cw1308 sprcification or cat 5 network cable. Either can be purchased from some DIY stores or places like Screwfix/Toolstation
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to