General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 02-May-13 21:12:35
Print Post

Re: Will the engineer let me have fibre though I moved socke

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

http://www.tandyonline.co.uk/telephone-cable-cw1308-...

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 02-May-13 22:06:11
Print Post

[re: Computerman142] [link to this post]

Note that some of the cheaper cables labelled CW1308 and Cat5 are not "twisted pair". Particularly suspect are flat ones for easy hiding under carpet or going under the corners of doors.

You must get twisted pair, and when using them you must use matched pairs.

For instance, with blue or blue/white you must use white/blue. With orange you must use orange/white. They are coloured this way to identify the wires that are twisted round each other, to help counteract any external electromagnetic interference.

You must not use blue with orange as they are not twisted round each other and the interference effect is magnified not reduced.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Computerman142
(newbie) Fri 03-May-13 21:21:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thank you for you help on telephone cable I will look into twisted pair CW1308 cable like the one Mr Saffron linked me to.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Computerman142
(newbie) Sat 11-May-13 12:40:09
Print Post

Hi

I guess its ok to use cat5e cable to back of my master socket where the line comes on terminal A and B, but I just wanted to make sure it will work with FTTC Fibre Optic? I have found this one which looks like it will be good as it is Belkin, the plan is I will cut the two plugs off the end and cut the wire to the required length. Also will the wires inside this Belkin cable be copper, not copper clad like I have had in the past? I hope they are as they are made by Belkin.

Thanks
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Sat 11-May-13 14:19:27
Print Post

You need solid core cables, or it will not make proper contact in the krone connectors.

If the cable has plugs on it, then it is highly likely to be multi-strand cables, so it's more flexible.

Standard User lewisskinner
(newbie) Wed 15-May-13 00:42:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Computerman142:
Doesn't FTTC have a 10 day training period?, if so is it best to wait until after the 10 days before I fit the telephone cable?

ADSL has a ten day training period. Ten days is normally quoted for FTTC, but in practice it's commonly more like three days

I am a Plusnet Employee, but my opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent the views of Plusnet Technologies or the wider BT Group plc.

Plusnet FTTC Ping
Virgin Media 100Mbps Ping
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-May-13 07:39:13
Print Post

[re: lewisskinner] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lewisskinner:
ADSL has a ten day training period. Ten days is normally quoted for FTTC, but in practice it's commonly more like three days

"training period" ? is "A semi-myth. All this does is set one figure from which a second is calculated"

I think you should read this:
http://robertos.me.uk/html/10-day_training.html

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to