General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Dec-13 18:08:14
Print Post

Re: Cuckoo Oak Urgent Users

[re: Spud2003] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Spud2003:
The forum rules bar inappropriate or offensive language(in this case name calling in the last two sentences)... tongue

Feel free to report me, Spud smile
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Dec-13 18:10:03
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
I be very surprise if it was only me to order FTTC 1 out of 288 max at the cabinet. If that happen and still only me till a year time, does Openreach willing to removed FTTC if not enough money fund by the peoples?

No. That would cost more money than just leaving it there. They reduce their costs on low take up by only putting line cards in one at a time.

Each card holds 48 connections. In the case of the cabinet I successfully campaigned for it now has 4 cards in it, having filled 2 and being a good way through the 3rd after less than 3 weeks.

Not bad for a non-viable cabinet serving too few premises...
Standard User Spud2003
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 20-Dec-13 18:14:56
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

I'm not going to report you but your point was undermined by losing your temper and using insults.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Dec-13 18:17:01
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
No. That would cost more money than just leaving it there. They reduce their costs on low take up by only putting line cards in one at a time.

Each card holds 48 connections. In the case of the cabinet I successfully campaigned for it now has 4 cards in it, having filled 2 and being a good way through the 3rd after less than 3 weeks.

Not bad for a non-viable cabinet serving too few premises...

how can you tell how many cards had been installed in the cabinet? I thought 288 cards already on the cabinet as BT just flick the switch on to customer's end?

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Fri 20-Dec-13 18:48:17
Print Post

how can you tell how many cards had been installed in the cabinet?

You can't unless you have inside information
I thought 288 cards already on the cabinet as BT just flick the switch on to customer's end?

That would result in thousands of unused cards sitting idle for years costing millions. Typically install 1 or 2 cards when the cabinet is 1st installed. A large Hauwei can take 6 cards.

Edited by Ribble (Fri 20-Dec-13 18:50:10)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 20-Dec-13 18:56:22
Print Post

I don't know what the current standard is, and the line cards I believe have changed, but at the time ours was installed I believe it was normal to provide 100 ports initially in the 288-capable FTTC cabinet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User simon194
(committed) Fri 20-Dec-13 19:33:13
Print Post

IIRC the big Huawei cabinets hold up to 3 DSLAMs' each with up to 96 ports and they are usually provisioned with 96 ports to start with.
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Dec-13 20:35:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
how can you tell how many cards had been installed in the cabinet? I thought 288 cards already on the cabinet as BT just flick the switch on to customer's end?

Those of us who did actually campaign for our cabinets to be enabled and hence obtained contacts within Openreach during those campaigns are kept informed of these things when they become an 'issue'.
(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Dec-13 20:36:28
Print Post

[re: simon194] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by simon194:
IIRC the big Huawei cabinets hold up to 3 DSLAMs' each with up to 96 ports and they are usually provisioned with 96 ports to start with.

It's 1 DSLAM with 6 ports available for line cards; they are provisioned with tie pairs for 100 connections and a single line card to start. Sometimes a second line card is in their ready if take up is expected to justify it.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Fri 20-Dec-13 20:38:28)

(knowledge is power) Fri 20-Dec-13 20:37:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I don't know what the current standard is, and the line cards I believe have changed, but at the time ours was installed I believe it was normal to provide 100 ports initially in the 288-capable FTTC cabinet.

100 tie pairs and a single 48 port card, Bob. When that card hits 75%, if I remember rightly, it triggers provisioning of another card. When that hits 75% it triggers provisioning of another 100 tie pairs and a 3rd card.

I imagine there are cases where a second line card is installed ready to go, depending on expected demand.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Fri 20-Dec-13 20:39:13)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to