General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 08-Jan-14 08:50:40
Print Post

Re: Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex Fibre progress

[re: tbailey2] [link to this post]

Just an update. There is some one way poly duct work scheduled for a couple of days next week that looks like it's trying to clear the problem of continuing the feed eastwards along the High Street.

Also, an NGA enquiry from the village of Sayers Common (also on Hurstpierpoint exchange) regardng Cab 9 has indicated an early-mid March RFS date if all goes well.

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex SDHRSTP, Cab 4
My Live Router Stats, Ping, Speed etc

ZeN Active 39dB 2.9Km ~10Mb/s
Billion Bipac 7800 @ 1 - 5dB
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 14-Feb-14 13:49:55
Print Post

Well it's available at last as of this morning in Hurstpierpoint and Sayers Common and at least three people have managed to order for installation next week!

I see FTTP is shown on the BT spreadsheet for the exchange but not listed as available. Anyone actually have this and if so what was the cost for the distance you are. I see it's £500 plus cost of works etc possibly in excess of £1500. I'm 800m from the cabinet.

Tony

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Feb-14 13:56:35
Print Post

When lists say fttp they mean native so same rental and install for 40 and 80 Meg products

Will say FoD if its referring to fibre on demand

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 21-Feb-14 12:57:32
Print Post

Well I'm up and running now with Plusnet close to estimate with actual of 36/8.5 @ 10ms so well pleased (at 800m from Cab 4). Quinn contractor but seemed pretty knowledgeable, took about 5 minutes from arrival to running a speedtest.

I'm also the first install off the Cab so don't expect these speeds to last long

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Fri 21-Feb-14 15:23:45)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sun 23-Feb-14 11:17:38
Print Post

Actual Speed Results in Hurstpierpoint

One of the things the engineer said was he had expecting a higher d/l rate then I have - the BT estimates were 30-50Mbps for a clean line which this one should be and my ADSL2+ estimate of 7.5 max was always in excess of 9 and up to 10 in practice and hardly ever dropped out.

So I took off the supplied ECI modem and put on an unlocked HG612 - with the results below from the web interface (I have yet to set up a stats package which I will do later)

Mode VDSL2   
Traffic type PTM   
DSL synchronization status Up   
DSL up time 2954   

Line Status
Downstream Upstream 
Attainable rate (kbit/s) 61964 15205
SNR margin (dB)          16.8  9.8 
Line attenuation (dB)    0     0 
Output power (dBmV)      11.7  6 

Statistics  
Path 0  Path 1  
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream 
Line rate (kbit/s) 39973  9995  0  0  
CRC errors 0  0  0  0  
FEC errors 45  0  0  0  
HEC errors 270  0  0  0

I get the impression that the IP Profile (BT Checker says it's 38.71/10 and not available on Plusnet yet ) has been set to just above the Plusnet estimate of 35Mbps for the line as I'm getting around 36Mbps? I'm on unlimited. As the attainables are so much higher, will this sort itself via the DLM eventually (only two days running so far) or should I request it be upped? Or have Plusnet mistakingly set me up for their limited rate Fibre? Are the SNRs a bit high?

The actual TBB speed checker results are in my sig,

Tony
My Live Stats, Ping, Speed etc

plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Feb-14 11:27:30
Print Post

Re: Actual Speed Results in Hurstpierpoint

You need to contact Plusnet, you've been put on a 40/10 product by mistake, which used to happen a lot. Either raise a ticket or post on their forums tomorrow morning.

Standard User timl
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-14 11:30:36
Print Post

Hi Tony,

When Plusnet believe that you're going to be lucky to get a sync of 40Mbp they provision you on the 40/10 service not the 80/20 service. It's the product that's most likely wrong... nothing to do with the DLM.

Plusnet also save a bit in the line rental they pay Openreach. You might get this sorted out by ringing Plusnet up. But the Plusnet guys on the Plusnet forums and sometimes on here can provision you on the 80/20 product if you feel it's worth it

Thanks
Tim

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Feb-14 11:35:10
Print Post

[re: timl] [link to this post]

I was going to add what timl has said, as I realised it's not a mistake but intentional, PN save on product charges as the 40/10 is cheaper to them than the 80/20. But what I can't understand is why PN estimate was only 35 if the BT estimate was 50, as PN use the BT Wholesale checker to provide their estimate data I don't know why they used the much lower figure.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 23-Feb-14 11:36:13)

Standard User timl
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-14 11:47:24
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I seem to remember that Plusnet go by the lower estimate... I suppose they reduce support costs?

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sun 23-Feb-14 12:35:45
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I was going to add what timl has said, as I realised it's not a mistake but intentional, PN save on product charges as the 40/10 is cheaper to them than the 80/20. But what I can't understand is why PN estimate was only 35 if the BT estimate was 50, as PN use the BT Wholesale checker to provide their estimate data I don't know why they used the much lower figure.

The 30-50 comes from the BT Wholesale telephone number checker.. When I first used plusnet's likely speed checker, that said 35.

Tony
My Live Stats, Ping, Speed etc

plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to