General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Feb-14 10:22:25
Print Post

Re: Actual Speed Results in Hurstpierpoint

[re: tbailey2] [link to this post]

Glad you've got it sorted, I'm only 450 meters and have only ever got in the mid forties, but it does fluctuate depending on interleaving.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Feb-14 11:26:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by tbailey2:
Well the IP Profile was changed by plusnet at around 01:00 this morning and a test at about 06:00 only showed 36 down still but around 12up (against 8.35). Powered off modem for a while around 06:30 and restarted and now get (BT Wholesale Tester) 55/11!

It is likely that you'd have the improvement from just disconnecting (or power-cycling) the router, rather than the modem.

The BT diagnostics now show an IP Profile of 57.7/ 20. (and I'm 800m from the cab so this is a pretty good result for the distance).

A sync speed of 59Mbps at 800 metres is remarkably good - close to the theoretical best for that distance.

If you look at the DSL Stats in my sig all available data is there and updated every 5 mins. I guess this will all go downhill as other people get connected.

It does seem likely to only go downwards, but on the positive side: you know the best speed you can get back to when/if vectoring gets introduced in the future.

I have to say that your error statistics aren't looking brilliant - right now, you have 1333 ES's in 4:10 (4 hours ish) - that's near 10%. That's probably related to the burst of packet loss in the TBB meter at 10am.

If those numbers continue through today and (especially) tomorrow, you might find that DLM intervenes on Thursday morning.

Can you keep logs of the error data, and copies of the TBB graphs, over the course of the next few days, so we can see what happens?
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 13:33:27
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Yes, I'll keep copies,

I tried the router reboot but didn't have any effect on speed (other than picking my fixed IP I requested earlier). Also the BT Wholesale tester initially reprorted a line problem since running diagnostics it was only getting 35Mbps on a 58Mbps profile and that was after rebooting the router,

Now, there might be something special about the line I am remembering....

I worked from here on contract to a well known telecomms company for 15 years and had a number of Kilostream links into the prpoerty plus the then new landline I am using now for Fibre. The fixed lines went up to YTOW and KRS plus another property in this road via the cab (all services on them ceased 10 years ago except the phone). At the time it wouldn't work well at first and they put and dug in a new, I think 6 or 12 pair, black armoured cable and ran it into the road chamber.

That still wasn't good and they disappeared off up to the cab. I know they had covers off quite a lot of chambers and wondering if they actually ran a new feed down the road to me? It took two days to fix but this was twenty years ago so memory is a bit dim... Got a feeling they also tried paralleling several pairs but not sure. Maybe zarjaz would know?

I noticed the packet errors earlier, they coincide with big uploads (that now take tens of minutes instead of 8 hours or more!).

Thanks. All very interesting.

NB I've added in the CRC error graph, limits at 1000/min. A lot of those were prior to Modem reboot but....

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex SDHRSTP, Cab 4
Full Live Fibre Stats, Speed, Ping etc

plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Tue 25-Feb-14 15:01:12)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User phit03
(newbie) Tue 25-Feb-14 14:49:17
Print Post

Hi,

I hadn't realised that cabinet 9 in Sayers Common had gone live for fibre so I didn't get round to ordering an upgrade to fibre until yesterday. Initially I was given a go live date of 7th March but this has now gone out to 12th March. I guess this must be down to the number of people having a fibre install. Anyone any idea how many installs BT can do per day and whether speeds attainable might drop from the the theoretical maximum? Still, hopefully they'll be a lot better than the 5Mb down 800Kb up I currently get with ADSL2.
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 15:08:28
Print Post

[re: phit03] [link to this post]

BT seem to be lax about telling everyone it's live in the area, most people I meet while walking the dog don't know! Someone here can probably answer your other question about installs but there seems to be an OR or contractor van by Cab 4 most of the day at the moment. I was 8-10 down and 900 up on ADSL2+...

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Feb-14 15:32:25
Print Post

NB I've added in the CRC error graph, limits at 1000/min. A lot of those were prior to Modem reboot but....

Ugh. Something horrible has been happening to the CRC errors in the 2 hours since you added that graph!
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 17:06:46
Print Post

Well I could remove the graph but I guess the errors might not go away as well laugh

I dunno, we get lots of interference round here on and off but don't recognise this one from start and duration. Peaking nastily at the moment. Maybe the monitor up the road that caused me grief before has its switched PSU failing again...

BTW the sampling period is 30secs so it won't visually graph all data.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Tue 25-Feb-14 17:17:45)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 26-Feb-14 07:47:22
Print Post

It appears that most of this noise/interference is being picked up internally within this room (not surprising if you see what's in here). At around 22:50 last night I moved the router about two feet away from the modem (mounted right next to it) so it is at the limit of its leads and away from most other stuff. The result speaks for itself on the graph at that time and subsequently - I had to do this with various leads for the ADSL connection originally. Now I have two boxes (rather than just a Billion 7800) to handle it's obviously worse.

I might power off the modem and rearrange it all or leave it until tomorrow and see what the DLM does - what do you think? It's likely I guess that the line just can't handle the current IP Profile with the rubbish that's around? I know that if we lose power to this road, the SNR margin here increases by 4 - 7dB...

I've coded in the hourly Errored Seconds graph now. Doesn't make pleasant viewing when things are bad, much better than it was earlier though.

Yesterday's Errored Seconds graph is horrible.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Wed 26-Feb-14 08:08:06)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Feb-14 10:57:43
Print Post

At around 22:50 last night I moved the router about two feet away from the modem (mounted right next to it)

That's a dramatic effect, but I'm sure it shouldn't be anything like that. I wonder if there is a dodgy power supply as part of the router?

I might power off the modem and rearrange it all or leave it until tomorrow and see what the DLM does - what do you think? It's likely I guess that the line just can't handle the current IP Profile with the rubbish that's around?

The way DLM works is that, yesterday, it ought to merely have been triggered into monitoring, because you were turned on for more than 15 minutes. Today should become the real first day to monitor, and the first decision to intervene should be made early tomorrow morning, based on data from today.

DLM can intervene faster is you are *really* unstable, but I don't think you are there. My first line showed constant 4% packet loss for the entire first 48 hours, and didn't trigger DLM into early intervention.

If you want to play around with it, you should be safe to rearrange into a better organisation... so long as you power off the modem before disconnecting it from the phone line. But it probably isn't the best time to experiment with a variety of setups, some of which might be bad.

I know that if we lose power to this road, the SNR margin here increases by 4 - 7dB...

We had one re-sync, in 2012, where the QLN graph shows suspiciously low noise levels above tone 400. My theory is that the FTTC cabinet dropped all connections, so the QLN measurement has *no* neighbouring VDSL2 modems running. Could have been a power event of some sort.

I've coded in the hourly Errored Seconds graph now. Doesn't make pleasant viewing when things are bad, much better than it was earlier though.

I'm pretty sure that it is the ES rate that DLM monitors. You definitely want that to be looking pleasant!
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 26-Feb-14 11:07:25
Print Post

Thanks. And I turned the inbuilt Wireless off on the router at ~09:00 this morning and now the errored secs have dropped right down.The spikes seem to be on off of switches and the like that I have seen before. Note the dropped packets are much lower as well on TBB graph.

I think I'll leave it for now as I have telephones back on a different wiring route before diving in again.

Chap directly opposite gets his install tomorrow morning hopefully so we'll see what a BT ISP install makes of it - but his estimate is 36Mbps so will he get a matching initial profile? He's asked for 80/20 based on what I am seeing.

Edit:
What that interference was at 11:00-11:30 i don't know but it was there overnight. Likely on the line rather than internal here. Doesn't affect the SNR though.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Wed 26-Feb-14 13:17:40)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to