General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sat 01-Mar-14 08:21:47
Print Post

Re: Actual Speed Results in Hurstpierpoint

[re: tbailey2] [link to this post]

Well much the same this morning as previously but still no DLM intervention. However, despite the high CRC count and no interleaving etc, there is very little packet loss looking at the TBB graph. Unlike yours where you had a very high packet loss. The line doesn't seem to stay connected for more than 24 hours but I think is me causing the resyncs as there are no unaccounted for LOS shown looking back. I'll leave it alone today.

Having said that, I see the uptime is 3 mins currently! Just waiting for stats to come up again.

Yup, DLM has done its work - downstream sync rate has dropped from 60 to 53 and interleaving, delay at 8 and INP are all active downstream only - thus latency has doubled, SNRs are both the same. Actual speeds are now 49/12 - which is fine for me (estimate was 35/7).

Early days but FEC count has rocketed up and CRCs are way down as expected.

Connection speed (kbps):	53091		13579
SNR margin (dB):        	6.6		6.1
Power (dBm):            	11.8		6.8
Interleave depth:       	1039		1
INP:                    	3.00		0

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex SDHRSTP, Cab 4
Full Live Fibre Stats, Speed, Ping etc

plusnet Unlimited Fibre 56/12Mbps @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Sat 01-Mar-14 08:32:02)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sat 01-Mar-14 15:38:48
Print Post

Another slight change 50 mins ago, Interleave depth changed from 1039 to 1033, max d/l speed dropped vy slightly as a result.

Edit:
Prob not good as ES are rising a bit from increased CRC errors.

Edit 20:10
As time passes with this RFI session starting at 16:45, the levels are increasing at an alarming rate - at the moment the FEC count is in excess of 30,000 per minute, wonder what the actual CRC count would be if not being corrected by the DLM? It affected the upstream as well for the first time.. If this is a faulty motor/pump then it should seize up shortly!

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Sat 01-Mar-14 20:15:46)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sun 02-Mar-14 07:38:26
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Another slight DLM change this morning raising the Interleave from 1033 to 1041 (initially 1039) and giving a slight increase in download speed. Errored Seconds are now down in the low 10s per hour over the past day rather than peaks of 400 or more previously during the interference. These are very fine adjustments it seems.

Looking back at ADSL2+ stats, the RFI has been there for a few months but had little effect on the SNR for that line but don't have CRC figures. Since this line was enabled 9 days ago, there have been no unscheduled line drops.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Sun 02-Mar-14 16:39:13)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Mar-14 11:13:34
Print Post

I suspect that DLM is hunting around for the best FEC/Interleaving settings for the kind of interference you are experiencing.

You'll see that by watching the settings for "INP" and "delay" change. If they do, then DLM is amending the requirements to try to get the best fit for your kind of noise.

If interference is random, then almost any setting for FEC and interleaving will solve the problem.

However, if noise is regular, then it probably fits a pattern, with each burst of noise being of a specific length, and the length of the non-noise period being common too.

So DLM changes the INP value to search for different solutions for the length of the noise burst; that part I know reasonably. Then I *think* it amends the "delay" value to give the modem more or less scope to cope with the different lengths of "non-noise" periods. I think it chooses the higher delay values when noise bursts come more often.

The modems respond to DLM setting these two values by choosing appropriate R, D, I and N values.

DLM then gets the feedback in terms of the ES values... and decides whether to change things.
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Mon 03-Mar-14 11:28:25
Print Post

Thanks, I'd come to the same conclusion re the little changes in the settings. Nothing changed this morning so I assume DLM is happy at the moment?

Type of interference is the question.

There are likely two different sources, one morning and not too much of a problem, one late afternoon evening which is the problem.

But the evening one is really strange - it's almost one half of a sine wave in that it rises, peaks and then drops off pretty symmetrically. This FEC graph with a big clip to enhance the area of interest (just after the first DLM intervention) shows it well and the SNR margin follows it as well.

But what equipment would generate such a rsing/falling peak every evening (and weekend)?? The peaks on that FEC count were 80,000! Can't think it's a motor.

Edit
Looking at the Bitswap/tone graphs, the worse interference appears to be around 3.4 - 3.9Mhz. which is an area with a few broadcast stations although most are a long way away (Eastern). As it's not erratic, unlikely to be a local radio amateur transmitting on 3.8Mhz but it might explain the oscillating change rate with propagation affecting the signal over several hours once it's dark. I don't have a receiver for that range so can't easily check but I'll see if I can borrow one. My phone feed to here (direct to the master socket) would make a decent aerial...

Currently there are very few Bitswaps per Tone as all is quiet. Have reset graph and will see what happens later. might be more obvious from a zero start.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Mon 03-Mar-14 16:04:27)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 12-Mar-14 07:51:19
Print Post

Well a week or so has passed since the DLM first intervened - there have been two more interventions since, one to drop the interleave and another to raise it to the highest it's been at 1079. This level has been there for nearly 6 days now and actually raised the effective download speed back up by about 2Mbps to nearly 51Mbps. There have been no unwanted disconnections since install on the 21st Feb.

However, yesterday morning at 11:00 there was big disturbance in the upstream SNR ratio which spiked up and down for a short while by 2db (from 6dB to 4dB) and then 15mins later it dropped by 0.6dB and has been there constantly ever since. Small increase in errors now on upload and attainable speed has dropped a bit. Downstream appears to have also been affected from that time with more errors and a small aditional overall drop in SNR margin to add to the rubbish already experienced in the evening (there are multiple sources for this evening noise) so I imagine another DLM intervention will now occur.

I wonder what caused that drop? Could it be crosstalk from another install (there are about 30 in the lane so far) although would that be constant?

Here is a snapshot of that event.

Tony

plusnet Unlimited Fibre 51/10Mbps @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Wed 12-Mar-14 10:23:36)

Standard User warwickr
(newbie) Mon 07-Apr-14 17:12:53
Print Post

Re: Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex Fibre progress

[re: wheeze2014] [link to this post]

I am another occasional lurker from College Lane, HPP, running at about 4 down and 1 up. Until about 6 weeks ago I was suffering 1.8 down and 0.7 up but a grumble to my ISP Eclipse elicited the news that I had been "limited" in some way at the exchange. Not being a telecoms type I don't know what that might imply. However the exchange connection was reset and the average has climbed back to around 4 down and 0.7 up, which is what it was about 5 years ago. I had blamed the explosion in Internet usage for the reduction I had suffered, as I had gone from seeing only one other wireless router signal locally to about 8 which my system can see.
I then noticed from this discussion that I may have FTTC locally so I had a go at Eclipse again and I now await installation of Fibre on April 15. I will post the result.
As far as the cost goes I have ordered the Fibre Broadband/ Unlimited Phone package at around £39 pm. Although others may be cheaper I will stick with Eclipse because their customer service has been impeccable within the limits of what is under their control.
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 08-Apr-14 18:47:22
Print Post

[re: warwickr] [link to this post]

Hi and glad you are joining the ranks in the lane! How far away from the cabinet are you (it's opposite the entrance to Lynton Close)?

I'm about 800m north and the line has now stabilised for the moment in the 6 weeks it's been connected at around 49/8.5Mbps after an initial session at around 56/12 and against an estimate of below 35/7...

You sound as though you are further away than me as on ADSL2+ I was seeing 9/0.9 Mbps with Zen?

Tony
Full Live Fibre Stats, Speed, ES, Ping etc

plusnet Unlimited Fibre 48/9Mbps @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor
Standard User warwickr
(newbie) Wed 09-Apr-14 20:28:20
Print Post

Hello Tony and other locals. I guess I am only about 300m north of that Cabinet. We have had suspicions of both telecom and mains electric problems just here, but I am shutting off all negative thoughts now until post-installation. May the sun keep shining - after the Eclipse (?)
Warwickr
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 10-Apr-14 18:53:15
Print Post

[re: warwickr] [link to this post]

Well good luck - some people at that distance are seeing 70+ so do keep your fingers crossed and exude positive vibes.....

Tony
Full Live Fibre Stats, Speed, ES, Ping etc

plusnet Unlimited Fibre 48/9Mbps @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to