General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User tbailey2
(regular) Wed 10-Apr-13 10:37:25
Print Post

Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex Fibre progress

[link to this post]

After a long time saying our village would likely never get fibre and hoping that the Government initiative would do something eventually, a couple of months back the BT who's getting what map suddenly started showing Hurstpierpoint (and the adjoining village of Henfield) as Future Exchanges by end of 2014. This doesn't seem connected to the West Sussex County Council initiative as I don't believe that has been agreed yet.

I'm not complaining of course except for the 2014 bit!

However, in the past couple of weeks shiny new fibre cabs have started appearing in the village! There is one fairly close to the exchange at the top of Cuckfield Road (ca BN6 9UY) where there wasn't a previous cab, and spotted another this morning at the top of my own road of College Lane (ca BN6 9AJ) (which would be the furthest cab from the exchange as the road is on the borders of the village) and that has been placed near to an old GPO cab that looked as though it was falling apart but that has been removed (there is another more modern one next to where that was and that is still there, you can just see it in the pic below at the right). The fibre cab has a Danger 240v sticker on but can't hear any fans running (see pic below). There may be others of course. The new cabs have no other markings on them for ID.

Is there any one out there that knows why they are appearing so early please? Is it a good sign, hopefully? I'm about 800m from that new cab and currently on about 8-10Mb/s ADSL2+ so should get a fair increase in speed.

College Lane Fibre Cab

TIA

Tony

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex
My Live Router Stats

ZeN Active 40dB 2.9Km
Billion Bipac 7800 @ 1 - 3dB
My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BattFink
(newbie) Wed 10-Apr-13 12:20:45
Print Post

Re: Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex Fibre progress

[re: tbailey2] [link to this post]

If it's any help they did the same thing in Burgess Hill (e.g. cabinets started appearing 6-7 months before the exchange was due to go live)

I'd keep an eye out on the BT wholesale ADSL checker, you may find that you're line is FTTC "enabled" before the scheduled date (My BT infinity connection was connected 4 months before it was announced as available to order)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 10-Apr-13 12:23:43
Print Post

After complaints about dates changing a lot, BT shuffled a lot of the dates to a long way in the future. So people are getting suprised by earlier than expected deployment in a few places lately.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tbailey2
(regular) Wed 10-Apr-13 13:40:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for both replies. I wondered if the proposed date some 20 months away was a bit pessimistic so will do as suggested and keep an eye on the checker and also put my ear to the cabinet while passing...

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex
My Live Router Stats

ZeN Active 40dB 2.9Km
Billion Bipac 7800 @ 1 - 3dB
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by tbailey2 (Wed 10-Apr-13 13:51:31)

Standard User tbailey2
(regular) Sun 19-May-13 07:20:33
Print Post

For anyone following this, the announcement in Feb 2013 was for the villages of Hurstpierpoint and the adjoining village of Henfield. I've just spotted that Henfield is now marked as Accepting Orders (that was also estimated at End 2014) on the Where and When BT site so hopefully Hurst won't be far behind. There are quite a few FTTC cabs around the village and have been for some weeks, mine apparently has power and fibre according to an OR engineer a week or so ago.

Tony
Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex SDHRSTP, Cab 4
My Live Router Stats, Ping, Speed etc

ZeN Active 39dB 2.9Km ~10Mb/s
Billion Bipac 7800 @ 1 - 5dB

Edited by tbailey2 (Sun 19-May-13 07:23:38)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 19-May-13 11:54:11
Print Post

Maybe you'll have seen that West Sussex has just signed the BDUK contract, so will now start the detailed planning. Your original point is still true - that this must be a decision based on commercial-viability, rather than BDUK.

As Mr Saffron noted earlier, the dates listed on 'Where & When' are now some 3-6 months beyond the actual target date, to reduce complaints when some cabinets get delayed by technical problems.

BT continue to say that the commercial rollout will be complete by Spring 2014. That means that some exchanges will be listed as late 2014, when in reality they are already being worked on.
Standard User tbailey2
(regular) Sun 19-May-13 12:49:24
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Maybe you'll have seen that West Sussex has just signed the BDUK contract, so will now start the detailed planning. Your original point is still true - that this must be a decision based on commercial-viability, rather than BDUK.

As Mr Saffron noted earlier, the dates listed on 'Where & When' are now some 3-6 months beyond the actual target date, to reduce complaints when some cabinets get delayed by technical problems.

BT continue to say that the commercial rollout will be complete by Spring 2014. That means that some exchanges will be listed as late 2014, when in reality they are already being worked on.

Yes, I covered that BDUK announcement elsewhere here as did Andrew on the main site but the original announcement for this exchange (and for Henfield nearby) by BT was back in February some three months ahead of the BDUK decision.

An OR engineer working nearby last week said the twin FTTC cab at the top of the Lane already has fibre and power and can serve up to 200 users. Henfield seems to have gone from FE to AO in less than a week, if not quicker, as I didn't spot it in a CS state at all. The FTTC cab has a telephone line fed from Cab 4 if you look it up by postcode (BN6 9AB). Can't hear any fan noise as of three days ago though,

I have a query in with nga.enquiries on status from the 10th so likely have a while to wait for a response yet.

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Mon 20-May-13 11:07:27
Print Post

An update..

Found a bevy of OR vans and engineers (older, experienced) by the cab at the top of the road this morning. Friendly fortunately.

It seems that the work was originally supposed to have been completed in February but was abandoned as workmen could not locate the ducting/tubing they need to get through the village from Henfield where the fibre feed is actually coming from to a node here (not to the local exchange) and has already been partially routed. So the original OR guy was wrong as there is no fibre here yet.

These guys have been sent up from Eastbourne to try and sort the problem out. They said likely road works involved so nothing is going to happen any time soon. Still, better late than years late or never.

Tony

Standard User timl
(member) Mon 20-May-13 12:40:11
Print Post

How interesting... I'm in Sayers Common and my phone line is fed by the Hurstpierpoint exchange.

I've seen before were one exchange can give you phone and another gives you fibre so I wonder if they're going to run the fiber from Henfield to Sayers Common! That would be an interesting development for me!

Thanks
Tim

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Mon 20-May-13 16:39:07
Print Post

[re: timl] [link to this post]

HI

From what they said, it sounds as though it just isn't going to the exchange itself but to a node nearby from where it is distributed to, presumably, the area served by the exchange so you might be in luck. I'll ask if I see them again but no doubt someone else may have an idea. You'll be covered anyway by the new BDUK West Sussex agreement I guess.

Do you know what Cabinet ID you are on (put your telephone number into HERE and it will tell you).

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Mon 20-May-13 16:43:55
Print Post

Ah, a reasonably quick NGA response, and at least there is a date...

Thank you for your enquiry regarding fibre broadband.

The deployment of Hurstpierpoint PCP4 cabinet is scheduled for early August 2013. This is however dependant on the exchange being fibre enabled by that date.

Please be aware that the engineering work required to commission a Fibre Broadband cabinet is often complex and should conditions on the ground change, there is a small risk that the delivery date may be effected. Please track the date for commissioning through the line checker of your chosen service provider.

Many sites that show Fibre Broadband availability dates only show when the Exchange goes live and not individual cabinets off that particular exchange.

I am unable to say how many customers connected by PCP4 will take up fibre broadband, there is a commercial model that is used but unfortunately I am unable to share the detail.
I suggest you keep an eye the availability checker of the service provider of your choice.

I guess this depends on the status of the fibre feed that they are working on as mentioned earlier.

Tony

Standard User timl
(member) Mon 20-May-13 16:48:04
Print Post

I'm on cabinet 9. It's Fiber twin was put in about 2 months ago.

Until last week it was even reporting expected FTTC speeds but those options seem to have disappeared from the checker now.

And as we are connected to Hurstpierpoint exchange and already have a fiber box fitted I'm guessing Sayers Common is part of the same BT commercial roll-out rather then being BDUK funded.

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Mon 20-May-13 17:01:37
Print Post

Ah didn't realise you already had a Fibre cab! Sounds like they were all put in about the same time. How far away are you from it?

Tony

Standard User timl
(member) Mon 20-May-13 18:26:20
Print Post

When the fibre checker was reporting line speeds BT estimated approx 68Mbps. I'm less than 150m from the cabinet.

Seems like excellent news from Openreach and the planned activation of your PCP. Let's hope they get the fiber to the Exchange sorted out in the next month or so.

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User ccxo
(experienced) Mon 20-May-13 20:14:21
Print Post

If the estimates disappear from the checker then it usually means the cabinet is going to go live and start accepting orders, just keep checking the wholesale checker each day.

Orange BB 5856/448
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 24-May-13 11:33:16
Print Post

Just a note that the new FTTC cab at the junction of Cuckfield Road and Trinity Road (BN6 9UY - I think this is Cab 7 as that's where the building next to it on the same side of the road is fed from and it's next to a PCO on that cab but it isn't marked and doesn't have a phone line listed in the checker yet) now has power on as the fans are running.

Edit: it is actually the twin to Cab 5 that is to the south of it (thanks partial)

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Fri 24-May-13 20:10:27)

Standard User partial
(member) Fri 24-May-13 17:10:52
Print Post

You sure it's a fibre cabinet as there isn't a copper cabinet near that location. Cabinet 7 is in Western Rd.
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 24-May-13 17:25:47
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Well the power and sound of fans is a bit of a giveaway amongst other attributes.... tongue

It may be for whatever cab feeds Cuckfield Road North of St Lawrence School on the even numbered side of the road. I couldn't find a copper cab nearby and I've been walking the area for 22 years (there is an alley across the road that goes to the exchange I need to look at though)! And the school is being expanded, possibly with uprated IT facilities. Maybe there's a 'connection'

Cab corner of Trinity/Cuckfield Road

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Fri 24-May-13 19:28:15)

Standard User partial
(member) Fri 24-May-13 17:37:59
Print Post

That'll be the fibre cab for 5

Cab 7 is here

Cab 6

Edited by partial (Fri 24-May-13 17:45:46)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 24-May-13 17:44:56
Print Post

Thanks! Ah well, must have walked by both more than a few times but never spotted them. Cab 5 on the corner will be the closest to Henfield (that is the road to that village) where the fibre feed is apparently coming from according to a couple of OR guys.

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 24-May-13 17:51:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by partial:
That'll be the fibre cab for 5

Cab 7 is here

Cab 6

Matter of interest how did you find them so quickly?

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 24-May-13 18:01:18
Print Post

Matter of interest, what is this cabinet and manhole collection for anyone? The vent? tube might indicate water/sewage or??

Cabinet and Access Manholes

Tony

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 24-May-13 18:17:28
Print Post

Looks to be a main sewage chamber, and possibly pump associated with it. The cabinet is for monitoring purposes.

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 24-May-13 18:33:34
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Thanks!

Tony

Standard User partial
(member) Fri 24-May-13 18:41:43
Print Post

They are old friends. wink
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 24-May-13 18:47:47
Print Post

Okay - I thought Google walking from Yorkshire was a bit quick!

So where is Cab 11 please - somewhere around Chalkers Lane area I guess (for the College)?

Tony

Standard User partial
(member) Fri 24-May-13 18:51:06
Print Post

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 24-May-13 18:59:23
Print Post

Thanks again. I'll have a look as I drive by it tomorrow as they've rebuilt that whole area over the past couple of years or so.

Tony

Standard User Ribble
(committed) Fri 24-May-13 19:14:43
Print Post

I think thats the one for cab 5, still some way to go yet
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 20-Jun-13 13:41:52
Print Post

Seems to be some activity at last...

BT have planned roadworks for 16th - 29th July in two lots.

1) High impact, delays likely
Description : Install 2m of 1 way poly duct in Footway...

That's right by Cab 5 (see link)

2) High impact, delays likely (you can say that again)
Description : Install 10m of 1 way poly duct in Carriageway,Install 5m of 1 way poly duct in Footway...

Which appears to be then putting ducting towards Cab 5's fibre twin and that has had power on for some weeks....

This view shows Cab 5 on the right against the wall at No 28 and then opposite side of carriageway at the left is No 59 with the fibre twin now erected a little way off down the left HERE against the wall by the Roundabout sign (also the public toilets, I hope it's waterproof as there's a pub nearby).

If anyone knows or can guess more...

The last info I had from Openreach guys was they couldn't get the fibre feed on down the High Street (straight ahead in first view) due to ducting problems. nga enquiries estimated 1st August a few weeks back for Cab 4 but that sounds unlikely now I guess...

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Thu 20-Jun-13 14:33:48)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Jun-13 17:45:36
Print Post

Well at last the Phone Checker is now offering me FTTC info:

WBC FTTC Up to 30.9 Up to 5.9 -- 31-Mar-14

Hopefully the date will be nearer the nga estimate of August 2013 though.

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sun 30-Jun-13 18:00:46
Print Post

The Openreach "Where and When" site at last shows Hurstpierpoint exchange as Coming Soon rather than a Future Exchange... Date is December 2013. Will be interesting to see which of the dates Openreach have given recently is the actual one? Choose from August 2013 (nga enquiries), December 2013 or March 2014 (Telephone Checker)...

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Sun 30-Jun-13 20:14:55)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 30-Jun-13 18:54:20
Print Post

Due to complaints to ASA, Openreach started adding a 6 month additional leadtime onto generic time estimates (ie ones from the checker), to be more sure that they never needed to extend them.

That means you could expect yourself to be 6 months earlier than March 2014, if all goes well and there are no problems with your cabinet.

The exchange date doesn't matter to you personally - because the exchange can, and probably will, go live earlier than your cabinet.

The NGA enquiry desk tend to give you their best, live, estimate from the project plans. You aren't likely to be done any sooner, and it could well happen by this date, but things can still go wrong.
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sun 30-Jun-13 20:06:41
Print Post

Yes, that's exactly how I understood the dates. Let's hope the nga one is the accurate one but i don't think it will be that early judging by the scheduled roadworks.

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Mon 09-Sep-13 16:22:41
Print Post

Not a lot to report - there have been multiple roadworks around the village to install new ducting and sort out collapsed ducting etc. I put in an nga enquiry for my Cab 4 at the top of College lane and received the following this morning (they replied in three working days!):

Work to alleviate the problem of blocked ductwork is ongoing. Because of the extra work involved, the go live date for the cabinet (4) has been moved to late November.

Which is not that far away now.

Anyone who wants to can get a estimate now for their fibre speed via the Openreach telephone number page assuming your cab is being enabled. Mine at about 800m shows 31/6, currently on actual 10/1 via ADLS2+.

Tony

Standard User timl
(committed) Mon 09-Sep-13 16:41:35
Print Post

So Santa may give us superfast broadband this year.

The BT Wholesale When & Where site talks about a December go live date too.

In preparation I've already transferred the line to BT in the expectation that they will be one of the first to offer it... and I'm determined to be first to get it installed, in port 1, on my PCP.

I imagine you are equally eager. smile

Tim

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Mon 09-Sep-13 17:53:58
Print Post

Well you never know!

I am not actually that worried - I don't game or stream much so current speed is fine the majority of the time and it is stable. However, changing to fibre will give me ca three times the speed down and much better up for less than my current cost as I'm currently on a business rated tariff that I don't need any more. And I'll probably go with PlusNet rather than BT for the better customer support but haven't committed yet. Yes, the Wholesale site changed from the 2014 date it had been showing a week or so ago I think. Need to get in early though as 82 extra new houses at the top of the road planned for next year - they will back on to Cab 4.

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 03-Dec-13 10:26:39
Print Post

Or lack of and now postponement of. The last I had heard was live end of Nov 2013 from nga a while back.

The availability date changed overnight from 31-Mar-2014 to 15-Apr-2017 !!!

I've asked nga.enquries what has gone wrong and they usually reply fairly quickly. Anyone else had a big postponement like this? (this is not a BDUK project).

Does anyone know whether the BT Sport offering supplies feeds in the evening? For the past week my line has been heavily congested between ca 20:00 and 23:00 and wondered if this might be the problem. Hopefully fibre would cure this?

If I'm still alive when we get it that is.

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 03-Dec-13 10:36:48
Print Post

Update - I have two telephone lines here (and both off the same cable bundle and cab) - the other one (which has ADLS2+) on it is still showing 31-Mar-2014 so this could be a database error. I've checked some other numbers in the village and they all still show Mar-2014 inc further up the lane....

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 18-Dec-13 16:09:06
Print Post

Seems this was a DB error as the Telephone Number checker it's now reverted to end March 2014 for all the numbers I checked.

Several of us on BT's broadband enquiry list received this on Monday:

Thanks for telling us that you're interested in superfast fibre broadband.
We're really pleased to let you know that your local exchange, Hurstpierpoint, has been added to our rollout plans.

etc etc

Which at least showed that it was likely still going to happen and the BT Where and When status map has now been updated from FE to CS.

For those following this thread here and on the website, an enquiry to nga last week got this response today:

Thank you for your enquiry about Hurstpierpoint exchange cabinet 4. We have been experiencing issues within our own duct network, blocked ducts. I am afraid this has delayed our progress and the scheduled date for the provision of fibre broadband is now early march 2014.

So hope springs eternal...

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 08-Jan-14 08:50:40
Print Post

Just an update. There is some one way poly duct work scheduled for a couple of days next week that looks like it's trying to clear the problem of continuing the feed eastwards along the High Street.

Also, an NGA enquiry from the village of Sayers Common (also on Hurstpierpoint exchange) regardng Cab 9 has indicated an early-mid March RFS date if all goes well.

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 14-Feb-14 13:49:55
Print Post

Well it's available at last as of this morning in Hurstpierpoint and Sayers Common and at least three people have managed to order for installation next week!

I see FTTP is shown on the BT spreadsheet for the exchange but not listed as available. Anyone actually have this and if so what was the cost for the distance you are. I see it's £500 plus cost of works etc possibly in excess of £1500. I'm 800m from the cabinet.

Tony

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Feb-14 13:56:35
Print Post

When lists say fttp they mean native so same rental and install for 40 and 80 Meg products

Will say FoD if its referring to fibre on demand

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 21-Feb-14 12:57:32
Print Post

Well I'm up and running now with Plusnet close to estimate with actual of 36/8.5 @ 10ms so well pleased (at 800m from Cab 4). Quinn contractor but seemed pretty knowledgeable, took about 5 minutes from arrival to running a speedtest.

I'm also the first install off the Cab so don't expect these speeds to last long

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Fri 21-Feb-14 15:23:45)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sun 23-Feb-14 11:17:38
Print Post

Actual Speed Results in Hurstpierpoint

One of the things the engineer said was he had expecting a higher d/l rate then I have - the BT estimates were 30-50Mbps for a clean line which this one should be and my ADSL2+ estimate of 7.5 max was always in excess of 9 and up to 10 in practice and hardly ever dropped out.

So I took off the supplied ECI modem and put on an unlocked HG612 - with the results below from the web interface (I have yet to set up a stats package which I will do later)

Mode VDSL2   
Traffic type PTM   
DSL synchronization status Up   
DSL up time 2954   

Line Status
Downstream Upstream 
Attainable rate (kbit/s) 61964 15205
SNR margin (dB)          16.8  9.8 
Line attenuation (dB)    0     0 
Output power (dBmV)      11.7  6 

Statistics  
Path 0  Path 1  
Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream 
Line rate (kbit/s) 39973  9995  0  0  
CRC errors 0  0  0  0  
FEC errors 45  0  0  0  
HEC errors 270  0  0  0

I get the impression that the IP Profile (BT Checker says it's 38.71/10 and not available on Plusnet yet ) has been set to just above the Plusnet estimate of 35Mbps for the line as I'm getting around 36Mbps? I'm on unlimited. As the attainables are so much higher, will this sort itself via the DLM eventually (only two days running so far) or should I request it be upped? Or have Plusnet mistakingly set me up for their limited rate Fibre? Are the SNRs a bit high?

The actual TBB speed checker results are in my sig,

Tony
My Live Stats, Ping, Speed etc

plusnet Unlimited Fibre @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Feb-14 11:27:30
Print Post

Re: Actual Speed Results in Hurstpierpoint

You need to contact Plusnet, you've been put on a 40/10 product by mistake, which used to happen a lot. Either raise a ticket or post on their forums tomorrow morning.

Standard User timl
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-14 11:30:36
Print Post

Hi Tony,

When Plusnet believe that you're going to be lucky to get a sync of 40Mbp they provision you on the 40/10 service not the 80/20 service. It's the product that's most likely wrong... nothing to do with the DLM.

Plusnet also save a bit in the line rental they pay Openreach. You might get this sorted out by ringing Plusnet up. But the Plusnet guys on the Plusnet forums and sometimes on here can provision you on the 80/20 product if you feel it's worth it

Thanks
Tim

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 23-Feb-14 11:35:10
Print Post

I was going to add what timl has said, as I realised it's not a mistake but intentional, PN save on product charges as the 40/10 is cheaper to them than the 80/20. But what I can't understand is why PN estimate was only 35 if the BT estimate was 50, as PN use the BT Wholesale checker to provide their estimate data I don't know why they used the much lower figure.

Edited by R0NSKI (Sun 23-Feb-14 11:36:13)

Standard User timl
(committed) Sun 23-Feb-14 11:47:24
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I seem to remember that Plusnet go by the lower estimate... I suppose they reduce support costs?

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sun 23-Feb-14 12:35:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
I was going to add what timl has said, as I realised it's not a mistake but intentional, PN save on product charges as the 40/10 is cheaper to them than the 80/20. But what I can't understand is why PN estimate was only 35 if the BT estimate was 50, as PN use the BT Wholesale checker to provide their estimate data I don't know why they used the much lower figure.

The 30-50 comes from the BT Wholesale telephone number checker.. When I first used plusnet's likely speed checker, that said 35.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sun 23-Feb-14 12:38:39
Print Post

Well I'm paying for 80/20! And it certainly looks like it's capable of a lot more (currently anyway). There is someone else a bit further (about 200yds) up the road with BT getting an actual of 57Mbps...

Thanks - I'll post on the Plusnet forum in the morning.

Got some Telnet stats now from DSL Stats - comments welcomed:

Retrain Reason:	0
Max:	Upstream rate = 15178 Kbps, Downstream rate = 61964 Kbps
Path:	0, Upstream rate = 9995 Kbps, Downstream rate = 39973 Kbps

Link Power State:	L0
Mode:			VDSL2 Annex B
VDSL2 Profile:		Profile 17a
TPS-TC:			PTM Mode
Trellis:		U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:		No Defect
Training Status:	Showtime
		Down		Up
SNR (dB):	 16.8		 9.8
Attn(dB):	 0.0		 0.0
Pwr(dBm):	 11.7		 6.0
			VDSL2 framing
			Path 0
B:		239		235
M:		1		1
T:		64		7
R:		0		16
S:		0.1911		0.7508
L:		10048		2717
D:		1		1
I:		240		255
N:		240		255
			Counters
			Path 0
OHF:		3002996		779504
OHFErr:		110		0
RS:		0		1854478
RSCorr:		0		0
RSUnCorr:	0		0

Path 0
HEC:		516		0
OCD:		29		0
LCD:		29		0
Total Cells:	707938252		0
Data Cells:	2561356		0
Drop Cells:	0
Bit Errors:	0		0

ES:		64		0
SES:		0		0
UAS:		18		18
AS:		9217

Path 0
INP:		0.00		0.00
PER:		3.05		11.82
delay:		0.00		0.00
OR:		62.80		152.21

Bitswap:	4		0

Total time = 2 hours 34 min 2 sec
FEC:		0		0
CRC:		110		0
LOS:		0		0
LOF:		0		0
Latest 15 minutes time = 4 min 2 sec
CRC:		1		0
ES:		1		0
UAS:		0		0
Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
CRC:		7		0
ES:		5		0
Latest 1 day time = 2 hours 34 min 2 sec
Previous 1 day time = 0 sec
CRC:		0		0
ES:		0		0
Since Link time = 2 hours 33 min 37 sec
#

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Sun 23-Feb-14 12:40:58)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sun 23-Feb-14 12:46:42
Print Post

The actual figures are:
FTTC Range A (Clean) 	        50.3 	35.8 	10.4 	7 	-- 	Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 	43.6 	21.8 	10.4 	6 	-- 	Available

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sun 23-Feb-14 15:38:10
Print Post

Comprehensive live stats via DSL Stats (5 min update) now available via link in my sig.

Tony
Full Live Fibre Stats, Speed etc

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Mon 24-Feb-14 16:48:27
Print Post

Well PN have now agreed to put me on 80/20 from tomorrow so will see what happens and post back.They did agree with what you and timl said - I wonder how many other people have got a lot higher than the estimate? Mind you, there are only a handul of people on the Cab at the moment although there seems to be an Openreach van by it now every time I walk past.

No poster on it though (local council planning guy said they they had not stopped it) so very few people know about the availability currently. The download doesn't worry me too much in practice, it's the upload I speed I need.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 24-Feb-14 17:37:48
Print Post

Thats good, you should see a good speed improvement. Our works connection was put on a 40/10 product, our estimate was 36, we had an attainable of 43 so I never bothered getting it changed, with interleaving we get around 37, so we wouldn't be any better off. I suspect there are loads of people that would be.

Edited by R0NSKI (Mon 24-Feb-14 17:38:25)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 07:50:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Thats good, you should see a good speed improvement. Our works connection was put on a 40/10 product, our estimate was 36, we had an attainable of 43 so I never bothered getting it changed, with interleaving we get around 37, so we wouldn't be any better off. I suspect there are loads of people that would be.

Well the IP Profile was changed by plusnet at around 01:00 this morning and a test at about 06:00 only showed 36 down still but around 12up (against 8.35). Powered off modem for a while around 06:30 and restarted and now get (BT Wholesale Tester) 55/11!

The BT diagnostics now show an IP Profile of 57.7/ 20. Modem data is:

Max:	Upstream rate =    15044 Kbps, Downstream rate = 60292 Kbps
Path:	0, Upstream rate = 14841 Kbps, Downstream rate = 59613 Kbps
                  Up             Down
SNR (dB):	 6.4		 6.2
Attn(dB):	 0.0		 0.0
Pwr(dBm):	 11.8		 6.9

The Down stream SNR has changed from ~16 to 6.3 now.

BT Wholesale checker shows 55.46/11.63 with an indicated profile of 57.7/20, The TBB Speedtest shows 53/58.5 and 12.7/12.7

So well pleased and thanks for the help. If you look at the DSL Stats in my sig all available data is there and updated every 5 mins. I guess this will all go downhill as other people get connected (and I'm 800m from the cab so this is a pretty good result for the distance).

One query - the unlocked HG612 (cab is also Huawei if that matters any more) isn't responding to pings so the TBB Latency tester is nicely red - modem is using the October 2013 firmware and I'd assumed it might now allow pings?

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 25-Feb-14 07:56:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by tbailey2:
One query - the unlocked HG612 (cab is also Huawei if that matters any more) isn't responding to pings so the TBB Latency tester is nicely red - modem is using the October 2013 firmware and I'd assumed it might now allow pings?

Its not the HG612 that responds to pings, but the router you have connected to the LAN 1 port that needs to respond.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 49/8.5 - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 08:06:06
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Sorry, of course. It's a Technicolor TG582n plusnet version.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 08:15:36
Print Post

I've turned ping on now. Thanks

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User brandscill
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 08:48:55
Print Post

I imagine BT will send out flyers soon enough. Generally happens a month after the area goes live
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Feb-14 10:22:25
Print Post

Glad you've got it sorted, I'm only 450 meters and have only ever got in the mid forties, but it does fluctuate depending on interleaving.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Feb-14 11:26:05
Print Post

Well the IP Profile was changed by plusnet at around 01:00 this morning and a test at about 06:00 only showed 36 down still but around 12up (against 8.35). Powered off modem for a while around 06:30 and restarted and now get (BT Wholesale Tester) 55/11!

It is likely that you'd have the improvement from just disconnecting (or power-cycling) the router, rather than the modem.

The BT diagnostics now show an IP Profile of 57.7/ 20. (and I'm 800m from the cab so this is a pretty good result for the distance).

A sync speed of 59Mbps at 800 metres is remarkably good - close to the theoretical best for that distance.

If you look at the DSL Stats in my sig all available data is there and updated every 5 mins. I guess this will all go downhill as other people get connected.

It does seem likely to only go downwards, but on the positive side: you know the best speed you can get back to when/if vectoring gets introduced in the future.

I have to say that your error statistics aren't looking brilliant - right now, you have 1333 ES's in 4:10 (4 hours ish) - that's near 10%. That's probably related to the burst of packet loss in the TBB meter at 10am.

If those numbers continue through today and (especially) tomorrow, you might find that DLM intervenes on Thursday morning.

Can you keep logs of the error data, and copies of the TBB graphs, over the course of the next few days, so we can see what happens?
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 13:33:27
Print Post

Yes, I'll keep copies,

I tried the router reboot but didn't have any effect on speed (other than picking my fixed IP I requested earlier). Also the BT Wholesale tester initially reprorted a line problem since running diagnostics it was only getting 35Mbps on a 58Mbps profile and that was after rebooting the router,

Now, there might be something special about the line I am remembering....

I worked from here on contract to a well known telecomms company for 15 years and had a number of Kilostream links into the prpoerty plus the then new landline I am using now for Fibre. The fixed lines went up to YTOW and KRS plus another property in this road via the cab (all services on them ceased 10 years ago except the phone). At the time it wouldn't work well at first and they put and dug in a new, I think 6 or 12 pair, black armoured cable and ran it into the road chamber.

That still wasn't good and they disappeared off up to the cab. I know they had covers off quite a lot of chambers and wondering if they actually ran a new feed down the road to me? It took two days to fix but this was twenty years ago so memory is a bit dim... Got a feeling they also tried paralleling several pairs but not sure. Maybe zarjaz would know?

I noticed the packet errors earlier, they coincide with big uploads (that now take tens of minutes instead of 8 hours or more!).

Thanks. All very interesting.

NB I've added in the CRC error graph, limits at 1000/min. A lot of those were prior to Modem reboot but....

Tony
Full Live Fibre Stats, Speed, Ping etc

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Tue 25-Feb-14 15:01:12)

Standard User phit03
(newbie) Tue 25-Feb-14 14:49:17
Print Post

Hi,

I hadn't realised that cabinet 9 in Sayers Common had gone live for fibre so I didn't get round to ordering an upgrade to fibre until yesterday. Initially I was given a go live date of 7th March but this has now gone out to 12th March. I guess this must be down to the number of people having a fibre install. Anyone any idea how many installs BT can do per day and whether speeds attainable might drop from the the theoretical maximum? Still, hopefully they'll be a lot better than the 5Mb down 800Kb up I currently get with ADSL2.
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 15:08:28
Print Post

[re: phit03] [link to this post]

BT seem to be lax about telling everyone it's live in the area, most people I meet while walking the dog don't know! Someone here can probably answer your other question about installs but there seems to be an OR or contractor van by Cab 4 most of the day at the moment. I was 8-10 down and 900 up on ADSL2+...

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 25-Feb-14 15:32:25
Print Post

NB I've added in the CRC error graph, limits at 1000/min. A lot of those were prior to Modem reboot but....

Ugh. Something horrible has been happening to the CRC errors in the 2 hours since you added that graph!
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 25-Feb-14 17:06:46
Print Post

Well I could remove the graph but I guess the errors might not go away as well laugh

I dunno, we get lots of interference round here on and off but don't recognise this one from start and duration. Peaking nastily at the moment. Maybe the monitor up the road that caused me grief before has its switched PSU failing again...

BTW the sampling period is 30secs so it won't visually graph all data.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Tue 25-Feb-14 17:17:45)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 26-Feb-14 07:47:22
Print Post

It appears that most of this noise/interference is being picked up internally within this room (not surprising if you see what's in here). At around 22:50 last night I moved the router about two feet away from the modem (mounted right next to it) so it is at the limit of its leads and away from most other stuff. The result speaks for itself on the graph at that time and subsequently - I had to do this with various leads for the ADSL connection originally. Now I have two boxes (rather than just a Billion 7800) to handle it's obviously worse.

I might power off the modem and rearrange it all or leave it until tomorrow and see what the DLM does - what do you think? It's likely I guess that the line just can't handle the current IP Profile with the rubbish that's around? I know that if we lose power to this road, the SNR margin here increases by 4 - 7dB...

I've coded in the hourly Errored Seconds graph now. Doesn't make pleasant viewing when things are bad, much better than it was earlier though.

Yesterday's Errored Seconds graph is horrible.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Wed 26-Feb-14 08:08:06)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Feb-14 10:57:43
Print Post

At around 22:50 last night I moved the router about two feet away from the modem (mounted right next to it)

That's a dramatic effect, but I'm sure it shouldn't be anything like that. I wonder if there is a dodgy power supply as part of the router?

I might power off the modem and rearrange it all or leave it until tomorrow and see what the DLM does - what do you think? It's likely I guess that the line just can't handle the current IP Profile with the rubbish that's around?

The way DLM works is that, yesterday, it ought to merely have been triggered into monitoring, because you were turned on for more than 15 minutes. Today should become the real first day to monitor, and the first decision to intervene should be made early tomorrow morning, based on data from today.

DLM can intervene faster is you are *really* unstable, but I don't think you are there. My first line showed constant 4% packet loss for the entire first 48 hours, and didn't trigger DLM into early intervention.

If you want to play around with it, you should be safe to rearrange into a better organisation... so long as you power off the modem before disconnecting it from the phone line. But it probably isn't the best time to experiment with a variety of setups, some of which might be bad.

I know that if we lose power to this road, the SNR margin here increases by 4 - 7dB...

We had one re-sync, in 2012, where the QLN graph shows suspiciously low noise levels above tone 400. My theory is that the FTTC cabinet dropped all connections, so the QLN measurement has *no* neighbouring VDSL2 modems running. Could have been a power event of some sort.

I've coded in the hourly Errored Seconds graph now. Doesn't make pleasant viewing when things are bad, much better than it was earlier though.

I'm pretty sure that it is the ES rate that DLM monitors. You definitely want that to be looking pleasant!
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 26-Feb-14 11:07:25
Print Post

Thanks. And I turned the inbuilt Wireless off on the router at ~09:00 this morning and now the errored secs have dropped right down.The spikes seem to be on off of switches and the like that I have seen before. Note the dropped packets are much lower as well on TBB graph.

I think I'll leave it for now as I have telephones back on a different wiring route before diving in again.

Chap directly opposite gets his install tomorrow morning hopefully so we'll see what a BT ISP install makes of it - but his estimate is 36Mbps so will he get a matching initial profile? He's asked for 80/20 based on what I am seeing.

Edit:
What that interference was at 11:00-11:30 i don't know but it was there overnight. Likely on the line rather than internal here. Doesn't affect the SNR though.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Wed 26-Feb-14 13:17:40)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 26-Feb-14 14:19:05
Print Post

The times that the blocks of CRC errors come on (just after 11, and just after 1) look strange, don't they - and the SNRM graph is not only good, but at its best at those times!

I note a funny drop in the upstream margin, alongside an increase in FEC at the same time.
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 26-Feb-14 16:25:05
Print Post

Yes, well. When it hit 1500+ errors/min I decided to prove that it's either internal or external... hence the lack of data coming out of here. One of the problems is that I have three APC UPS plus about 11 switch mode PSUs in here so establishing a problem with one is a nightmare. Anyway I got down to running just a laptop on battery and the modem running on several different bricks - don't need the router on as can connect the modem via LAN2 directly to the laptop. No difference in CRC levels.

It's all back up currently but running with around a 1000 errors/min. Very, very odd that the SNR is not affected. On ADSL2 this sort of interference would have dropped the conn and come back with about a 12dB margin from 3dB via the DLM. I had 6 months of this year before last but the people who had the faulty monitor PSU are away. Had everything else in the house off as well with no effect.

It almost seems as though these errors are not real! The modem has been powered down and up again four times in the past two hours with no apparent effect. I expect we'll find out tomorow how real it all is...

The Electricity board are working just up from my cab installing mains into a new house and are digging a lot of road up. Wonder whether there's a generator or somesuch or a faulty modem or the firmware is buggy....

Added in Bitswaps/Min graph.

There is a current QLN graph here.

Edit @ 20:00
Actual speeds are around 55/12 which is pretty well much as it has been, Why are there so few FEC errors?

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Wed 26-Feb-14 20:02:17)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 27-Feb-14 08:28:10
Print Post

Well the DLM may have had an intervention at 05:40 this morning when there was a sync loss - but seems to have done very little if in fact it was that! The downstream SNR has dropped vy slightly and the upstream has risen a bit. Attainable and Max are now very close to each other in both directions and actual speeds are pretty well unchanged.

However, I may have found the cause of this interference but I am not going to count chickens etc. At 07:53 I made a change and it's looking better at the moment....

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 27-Feb-14 17:48:38
Print Post

Can confirm there is no DLM intervention at the moment. But the noise margin has dropped a lot in the last hour.
Standard User wheeze2014
(newbie) Thu 27-Feb-14 20:18:02
Print Post

Long time local lurker in this thread. Big thanks to all contributors here. It's been great for keeping up with developments, and i've learned a few things along the way.

I am in Albourne and have had to tolerate 7mb for the last few years, i had fibre installed today via Zen and am pleased to say I'm achieving consistently high speed, at around 72/15. It makes a world of difference smile
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 27-Feb-14 20:49:22
Print Post

Can confirm there is no DLM intervention at the moment. But the noise margin has dropped a lot in the last hour.

I'm assuming the DLM will add in some interleaving as a first attempt at killing some of these CRCs? The ones there currently are quite bursty and are external to the house. The earlier sustained high levels yesterday and today I found were due to the Devolo Homeplugs I have taking the LAN down to the downstairs TV. Just pulling the LAN cable out at the TV end stopped it. It was being reradiated around the room I'm in from a 30 feet or so extension mains cable that runs round it. Origin is the TV itself.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 27-Feb-14 20:53:22
Print Post

[re: wheeze2014] [link to this post]

Hi and nice to hear from you. It's good to know someone has benefited from the chit-chat here over the past year or so and we got there in the end. Trust you'll make full use of your extra speed - 7Mbps isn't that bad, I have a friiend who is lucky to get 1 on a good day... After all, remember dial-up?

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 28-Feb-14 11:36:01
Print Post

Having looked again at the pattern for the whole evening/morning I'll add that the pattern of the change in noise margin reflects behaviour I used to see on my Mum's ADSL2+ connection in Hull. It would start around 4-5pm, and continue until 9pm.

For that, we could only conclude it was some neighbour(s) turning modems on after school or work. I'm not sure that is quite so likely for FTTC.

Another possibility could be central heating running - especially when we see the burst in the morning too.

I'm assuming the DLM will add in some interleaving as a first attempt at killing some of these CRCs?

Yes. Strictly, it turns on FEC (error correction) to actually get rid of the CRC errors. It turns on interleaving to make FEC more effective at dealing with certain (typical) sizes of noise bursts.

Here's what my line was like without FEC+Interleaving: TBB-BQM Image, on day of activation

And 2 days later, when DLM intervened: TBB-BQM after 48 hours
Origin is the TV itself.

Plasma?
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 28-Feb-14 12:08:03
Print Post

Thanks. The TBB graphs are pretty dramatic changes.

BTW I've been connected a week now almost to the minute so the DLM can't be too unhappy...

I'm reasonably sure I know what it could be - a monitor switched mode PSU a few doors away that went bananas year before last and was 'repaired'. That used to instantly drop the ADSL line due to about a 6db interference level. I reduced the effect a lot after putting on a load of type 43 ferrite cores on the phone lead up the wall outside and in here on the cabling. Took them off after repair. Now have put them all back on about 10:30 this morning but as you say may not have much effect with FTTC. There is no one in there at the moment.

Part of that problem is that we are on overhead three phase power cabling and it rerediates rubbish.

No not plasma. Its a Sony Bravia LED HD. If you look at the CRC graph I plugged it all in again at 07:50 or so just to make sure it was the TV and you can see the effect! It peaks and clips at 1000 (actual is probably 2500 per min) for a few minutes...

Tony

plusnet Unlimited Fibre 56/12Mbps @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Fri 28-Feb-14 17:48:11)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 28-Feb-14 17:44:38
Print Post

It appears the RFI is not sourced where I thought it was as no one arrived home until about 8 minutes after it started at exactly the same time as yesterday so does sound like it might be a timed piece of equipment. See if it ceases at the same time....

23:00
Which it has...

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Fri 28-Feb-14 23:11:25)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sat 01-Mar-14 08:21:47
Print Post

Well much the same this morning as previously but still no DLM intervention. However, despite the high CRC count and no interleaving etc, there is very little packet loss looking at the TBB graph. Unlike yours where you had a very high packet loss. The line doesn't seem to stay connected for more than 24 hours but I think is me causing the resyncs as there are no unaccounted for LOS shown looking back. I'll leave it alone today.

Having said that, I see the uptime is 3 mins currently! Just waiting for stats to come up again.

Yup, DLM has done its work - downstream sync rate has dropped from 60 to 53 and interleaving, delay at 8 and INP are all active downstream only - thus latency has doubled, SNRs are both the same. Actual speeds are now 49/12 - which is fine for me (estimate was 35/7).

Early days but FEC count has rocketed up and CRCs are way down as expected.

Connection speed (kbps):	53091		13579
SNR margin (dB):        	6.6		6.1
Power (dBm):            	11.8		6.8
Interleave depth:       	1039		1
INP:                    	3.00		0

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Sat 01-Mar-14 08:32:02)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sat 01-Mar-14 15:38:48
Print Post

Another slight change 50 mins ago, Interleave depth changed from 1039 to 1033, max d/l speed dropped vy slightly as a result.

Edit:
Prob not good as ES are rising a bit from increased CRC errors.

Edit 20:10
As time passes with this RFI session starting at 16:45, the levels are increasing at an alarming rate - at the moment the FEC count is in excess of 30,000 per minute, wonder what the actual CRC count would be if not being corrected by the DLM? It affected the upstream as well for the first time.. If this is a faulty motor/pump then it should seize up shortly!

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Sat 01-Mar-14 20:15:46)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sun 02-Mar-14 07:38:26
Print Post

Another slight DLM change this morning raising the Interleave from 1033 to 1041 (initially 1039) and giving a slight increase in download speed. Errored Seconds are now down in the low 10s per hour over the past day rather than peaks of 400 or more previously during the interference. These are very fine adjustments it seems.

Looking back at ADSL2+ stats, the RFI has been there for a few months but had little effect on the SNR for that line but don't have CRC figures. Since this line was enabled 9 days ago, there have been no unscheduled line drops.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Sun 02-Mar-14 16:39:13)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Mar-14 11:13:34
Print Post

I suspect that DLM is hunting around for the best FEC/Interleaving settings for the kind of interference you are experiencing.

You'll see that by watching the settings for "INP" and "delay" change. If they do, then DLM is amending the requirements to try to get the best fit for your kind of noise.

If interference is random, then almost any setting for FEC and interleaving will solve the problem.

However, if noise is regular, then it probably fits a pattern, with each burst of noise being of a specific length, and the length of the non-noise period being common too.

So DLM changes the INP value to search for different solutions for the length of the noise burst; that part I know reasonably. Then I *think* it amends the "delay" value to give the modem more or less scope to cope with the different lengths of "non-noise" periods. I think it chooses the higher delay values when noise bursts come more often.

The modems respond to DLM setting these two values by choosing appropriate R, D, I and N values.

DLM then gets the feedback in terms of the ES values... and decides whether to change things.
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Mon 03-Mar-14 11:28:25
Print Post

Thanks, I'd come to the same conclusion re the little changes in the settings. Nothing changed this morning so I assume DLM is happy at the moment?

Type of interference is the question.

There are likely two different sources, one morning and not too much of a problem, one late afternoon evening which is the problem.

But the evening one is really strange - it's almost one half of a sine wave in that it rises, peaks and then drops off pretty symmetrically. This FEC graph with a big clip to enhance the area of interest (just after the first DLM intervention) shows it well and the SNR margin follows it as well.

But what equipment would generate such a rsing/falling peak every evening (and weekend)?? The peaks on that FEC count were 80,000! Can't think it's a motor.

Edit
Looking at the Bitswap/tone graphs, the worse interference appears to be around 3.4 - 3.9Mhz. which is an area with a few broadcast stations although most are a long way away (Eastern). As it's not erratic, unlikely to be a local radio amateur transmitting on 3.8Mhz but it might explain the oscillating change rate with propagation affecting the signal over several hours once it's dark. I don't have a receiver for that range so can't easily check but I'll see if I can borrow one. My phone feed to here (direct to the master socket) would make a decent aerial...

Currently there are very few Bitswaps per Tone as all is quiet. Have reset graph and will see what happens later. might be more obvious from a zero start.

Tony

HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Mon 03-Mar-14 16:04:27)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 12-Mar-14 07:51:19
Print Post

Well a week or so has passed since the DLM first intervened - there have been two more interventions since, one to drop the interleave and another to raise it to the highest it's been at 1079. This level has been there for nearly 6 days now and actually raised the effective download speed back up by about 2Mbps to nearly 51Mbps. There have been no unwanted disconnections since install on the 21st Feb.

However, yesterday morning at 11:00 there was big disturbance in the upstream SNR ratio which spiked up and down for a short while by 2db (from 6dB to 4dB) and then 15mins later it dropped by 0.6dB and has been there constantly ever since. Small increase in errors now on upload and attainable speed has dropped a bit. Downstream appears to have also been affected from that time with more errors and a small aditional overall drop in SNR margin to add to the rubbish already experienced in the evening (there are multiple sources for this evening noise) so I imagine another DLM intervention will now occur.

I wonder what caused that drop? Could it be crosstalk from another install (there are about 30 in the lane so far) although would that be constant?

Here is a snapshot of that event.

Tony

plusnet Unlimited Fibre 51/10Mbps @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor

Edited by tbailey2 (Wed 12-Mar-14 10:23:36)

Standard User warwickr
(newbie) Mon 07-Apr-14 17:12:53
Print Post

[re: wheeze2014] [link to this post]

I am another occasional lurker from College Lane, HPP, running at about 4 down and 1 up. Until about 6 weeks ago I was suffering 1.8 down and 0.7 up but a grumble to my ISP Eclipse elicited the news that I had been "limited" in some way at the exchange. Not being a telecoms type I don't know what that might imply. However the exchange connection was reset and the average has climbed back to around 4 down and 0.7 up, which is what it was about 5 years ago. I had blamed the explosion in Internet usage for the reduction I had suffered, as I had gone from seeing only one other wireless router signal locally to about 8 which my system can see.
I then noticed from this discussion that I may have FTTC locally so I had a go at Eclipse again and I now await installation of Fibre on April 15. I will post the result.
As far as the cost goes I have ordered the Fibre Broadband/ Unlimited Phone package at around £39 pm. Although others may be cheaper I will stick with Eclipse because their customer service has been impeccable within the limits of what is under their control.
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 08-Apr-14 18:47:22
Print Post

[re: warwickr] [link to this post]

Hi and glad you are joining the ranks in the lane! How far away from the cabinet are you (it's opposite the entrance to Lynton Close)?

I'm about 800m north and the line has now stabilised for the moment in the 6 weeks it's been connected at around 49/8.5Mbps after an initial session at around 56/12 and against an estimate of below 35/7...

You sound as though you are further away than me as on ADSL2+ I was seeing 9/0.9 Mbps with Zen?

Tony
Full Live Fibre Stats, Speed, ES, Ping etc

plusnet Unlimited Fibre 48/9Mbps @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor
Standard User warwickr
(newbie) Wed 09-Apr-14 20:28:20
Print Post

Hello Tony and other locals. I guess I am only about 300m north of that Cabinet. We have had suspicions of both telecom and mains electric problems just here, but I am shutting off all negative thoughts now until post-installation. May the sun keep shining - after the Eclipse (?)
Warwickr
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 10-Apr-14 18:53:15
Print Post

Well good luck - some people at that distance are seeing 70+ so do keep your fingers crossed and exude positive vibes.....

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 15-Apr-14 23:47:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by warwickr:
I then noticed from this discussion that I may have FTTC locally so I had a go at Eclipse again and I now await installation of Fibre on April 15. I will post the result.

Did it go okay??

Tony

HG612/Technicolor
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 06-May-14 09:46:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by warwickr:

A problem with the install?

Tony

plusnet Unlimited Fibre 42 / 10Mbps @ 800m
HG612/Technicolor - All Homeplugs Exorcised
Standard User slowAlbourne
(newbie) Thu 22-May-14 10:56:26
Print Post

Hi All,
Im in Albourne and about to order Fibre - anyone mind if i drop into this discussion?

Currently with talk talk,, but possible going to change, not sure I believe any of the quoted speed. Normally get about 4MB / 1MB on standard BB, so slow
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 22-May-14 13:03:43
Print Post

[re: slowAlbourne] [link to this post]

Hi

Have you checked your speed estimate HERE ? Make sure you use this one with your own telephone number rather than an address or postcode checker. Paste the results if you can, less your telephone number, as it will help others looking for speed estimates.

3 months exactly now from install. I started at 56Mbps download and that seems to have stabilised currently at 42/10 after the effects of crosstalk and some standing interference. My original BT estimate was 35/8 but that has been revised - UPWARDS to 42/10 which is what it is currently. Others immediately locally to me are much the same and I'm about 800m from the cabinet.

TalkTalk don't have a very good reputation, I think they were voted the worst ISP?? I'm with Plusnet and haven't had any problems (so far anyway), At least they have UK support who seem to know what they are doing most of the time, although others will disagree. Was with Zen.

Good luck!

Tony

Standard User timl
(committed) Thu 22-May-14 13:19:40
Print Post

Hi Tony,

I don't think the OP is going to be able to put his number into the checker because he's on LLU with Talktalk and that checker only deals with BT wholesale ISPs. The address checker (NOT postcode) should give a good indication, though.

Thanks
Tim

Edited to correct assumptions

Plusnet unlimited FTTC

Edited by timl (Thu 22-May-14 13:20:43)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 22-May-14 13:30:15
Print Post

Okay, good point. There is a link to the Address checker on the Telephone checker page as it happens... For me, it gives a very marginally higher speed for the address checker vs telephone no.

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 28-May-14 16:06:16
Print Post

For those in College Lane and around in the nearby Hurst Wickham area / Highfield Drive and its offshoots fed by PCP4 directly opposite Lynton Close..

Talking to an Openreach engineer earlier, he says the cab is now about 50% full with 60 fibre installations. PCP4 itself has some 600 lines which seems a pretty low takeup since live day on the 14th Feb?

My own line has now stabilised for the past few weeks moment at around 42/10 after starting at 56/12 3 months ago. A lot of cross talk and high error seconds dropped it pretty quickly as installs came on.

The BT Telephone Checker initially had the line at 35/7 at best on a clean line - however that estimate has now been revised to 43/10 this week, pretty close to what I actually have.

Edit: Also I should mention that one of the BT spreadsheets said FTTC/P for this exchange - just to check I tried to get it via the plusnet trial offer - but they confirm it is NOT currently available unfortunately.

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Wed 28-May-14 16:11:39)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sat 31-May-14 12:53:48
Print Post

Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex Cab 10

Does anyone in the know out there have any FTTC status for Cab 10 in Hurstpierpoint please?

It's not shown for the number I've been asked about as having FTTC and it's on a farm site out in the sticks NW of the college in Danworth Lane. There are a number of businesses there that would like some better speeds... They are at the low end of the estimates I'd guess

Telephone Number ****** on Exchange HURSTPIERPOINT is served by Cabinet 10 
WBC ADSL 2+ 	Up to 7 	-- 	4.5 to 11 	Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M 	Up to 7 	Up to 1 	4.5 to 11 	Available
ADSL Max 	Up to 5.5 	-- 	4 to 8 	Available
WBC Fixed Rate 	2 	-- 	-- 	Available
Fixed Rate 	2 	-- 	-- 	Available

TIA

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Sat 31-May-14 19:29:38)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Sat 31-May-14 19:31:44
Print Post

Re: Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex Cab 10 *DELETED*

Post deleted by tbailey2

Edited by tbailey2 (Sat 31-May-14 19:35:01)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 11-Jun-14 17:22:58
Print Post

Is anyone on Cab 2 in Albourne and do you have FTTC please? Depending where I look BT show the postcode BN6 9DT as not available whereas the alc.im site says it has been Accepting Orders since Feb.

And how many Cabs are there in Albourne? Can't be that many at a guess.

TIA

Tony

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 11-Jun-14 20:28:26
Print Post

Are you checking your phone number or address? Don't use just the postcode as that gives inaccurate results. How far are you from cab 2? Is it possible that you are too far from the cab to benefit from faster speeds in which case that is possibly why FTTC isn't being shown as an option.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 11-Jun-14 20:55:32
Print Post

[re: MCM] [link to this post]

Cab went line 13th Feb this year

The BN6 9DT is 99% connected to cab 2, so some addresses may not be.

Have tried four or five addresses and cab is not showing up enabled, so probably a case of capacity issues, i.e. waiting on new line card

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 11-Jun-14 20:57:10
Print Post

Re: Hurstpierpoint, West Sussex Cab 2

Thanks but I'm not checking my phone number or postcode and I don't know where Cab 2 is. That's what I am trying to find out for someone else who has asked me... I'm on Cab 4.

She may well be too far away as her ADSL speed is only a couple of Mbps. However, the exchange is a long way away and the cab may be nearer - apparently it is FTTC enabled and other people in what is a small village to the west of Hurstpierpoint say they can get 80/20.

Question is where is cab 2 as that may well answer the question. Other phone numbers nearby also say no so long line length is a distinct possibility. There are at least two people on here who know the local cabs and I was hoping one of them might have an idea- partial for instance.

Thanks

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Wed 11-Jun-14 21:01:40
Print Post

Thanks Andrew, my last reply overlapped yours.

Albourne is very small and must be a small cab to have filled already if it is in the village itself.... Mine has 50% take up since live on the same date and for 10% of exchange lines on the PCP itself. Google shows the exchange is 2.8 miles from the location (by road) which likely explains the low ADSL rate.

Edit: the line number she gave shows as on Cab 2 as do other numbers supplied as neighbours.

I'd also like to know where cab 10 is to help someone else (see back a few posts). but that is almost certainly a line length problem...

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Wed 11-Jun-14 22:12:08)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 12-Jun-14 08:13:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Have tried four or five addresses and cab is not showing up enabled, so probably a case of capacity issues, i.e. waiting on new line card

Andrew

I've been given some more telephone numbers and postcodes in Albourne, only one telephone number of which is FTTC enabled at BN6 9BY (Postcode checker shows as not enabled though).

Comparing that postcode with the original request one, it is about 1km away from the original location but also nearer the exchange in an E/W straight line. Looking at the sl better ADSL figures and the poor fibre estimates of the enabled postcode, I'd guess that the cab is on the East (Hurstpierpoint exchange) side of the A23 (this divides the two villages with Albourne on the West side) and thus too far away to provide fibre services to the original location as some guessed. But I could be wrong...

FWIW to visualise it, here is a MAP of the three locations - Green is the Exchange, Yellow is the Enabled location and Red is the original (not enabled) location.

BN6 9BY
Telephone Number ***** on Exchange HURSTPIERPOINT is served by Cabinet 2 
FTTC Range A (Clean) 	        17.8 	11.9 	1.2 	0.8 	-- 	Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 	14.7 	6.3 	1 	0.5 	-- 	Available

WBC ADSL 2+ 	                  Up to 2.5 	-- 	1 to 4 	Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M 	Up to 2.5 	Up to 0.5 	1 to 4 	Available
ADSL Max 	Up to 2 	-- 	1 to 3.5 	Available

BN6 9DT
Telephone Number ***** on Exchange HURSTPIERPOINT is served by Cabinet 2

WBC ADSL 2+ 	         Up to 2 	--      	1 to 3.5 	Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M 	Up to 2 	Up to 0.5 	1 to 3.5 	Available
ADSL Max 	Up to 1.5 	-- 	1 to 2.5 	Available

We still need the actual cab location to confirm this!

Tony

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Jun-14 10:17:11
Print Post

Close to where the old Kings Head pub in Albourne was I believe. Google Maps is not good for buildings that are no longer standing, apparently new development replaced it

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 12-Jun-14 10:35:12
Print Post

Okay that's now the B2118 renamed due to the new A23 running nearby below it but it is at the extremity of Albourne.

The building is still there (notice the copper dome on the roof) but is not a pub. Can't see a cab around though....

GOOGLE MAP

best viewed in Chrome or via new map site

Tony

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 12-Jun-14 10:56:48
Print Post

Cabinet is opposite in Albourne Road by the clear way sign

Edited by Ribble (Thu 12-Jun-14 11:01:04)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 12-Jun-14 11:40:45
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.935619,-0.198815,3...

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 12-Jun-14 12:45:02
Print Post

Thanks both. I looked there but missed it ...

So that I think says why there is no FTTC at the original postcode, it's just too far away. The guy with 80/20 probably lives the other side of the main road or just down the road into the village!

Thanks again

Tony

Standard User partial
(committed) Thu 12-Jun-14 21:49:40
Print Post

Cab 2 at the Kings Head junction does feed Trusslers Hill Lane. The cable goes down Church Lane and across the fields to Trusslers Hill Lane. There was a payphone Kiosk right at the point where it appeared. Post Code checks may be suspect as the lane is also fed by Poynings exchange to the south and may be fed by Henfield Cab 13 to the North, although my memory is hazy on whether the North half is Henfield 13 or Hurst 2 or 9 at Sayers Common.

Edited by partial (Thu 12-Jun-14 21:56:41)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 12-Jun-14 23:21:12
Print Post

Hi and thanks. But we know now that the Trusslers Hill Lane address in question is fed from Cab 2 via their telephone number check... If anyone else queries this area that additional info may well be helpful. It's all pretty well out in the sticks on the western side.

Can you remember where Cab 10 is as well please?

TIA

Tony

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Thu 12-Jun-14 23:27:02
Print Post

Willow way, near cuckfield road
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Thu 12-Jun-14 23:33:03
Print Post

Okay - I did have a tour round there via Google Street View yesterday but couldn't see it, again for someone on cab 10. They are right along north up off Cuckfield road on a farm complex and probably too far away for fibre.

Edit: is THIS it although it doesn't look quite right for a PCP?

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Thu 12-Jun-14 23:55:59)

Standard User MCM
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 13-Jun-14 02:14:42
Print Post

Edit: is THIS it although it doesn't look quite right for a PCP?
PCP10
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 13-Jun-14 08:04:33
Print Post

Okay thanks - I somehow thought it would be at the other (Northern) end of WIllow Way as there is another PCP not that far away up at the junction of Cuckfield Road and Marchants Road. Not sure what its number is though as Googlecam has kindly obliterated the number after the word PCP in the latest shot. However, looking back in time via the Street View Calendar shows it's PCP 6....

The only other cab I pass that I don't know the number of (and there doesn't appear to be a Fibre twin at the moment) is HERE outside the College car park entrance in Chalkers Lane.

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 13-Jun-14 08:17:54
Print Post

Cab 10 does NOT appear to have been upgraded to fibre (yet?). And a postcode check on an address adjacent (BN6 9TG, 2 Willow Way) to it shows no FTTC capability? A phone number 1.3Km away again shows no FTTC. Does anyone know why there is no fibre - the exchange is near the top of the Cuckfield Road.

Thanks

Tony

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Fri 13-Jun-14 08:44:10
Print Post

PCP 11.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Jun-14 09:26:44
Print Post

Cabs 8, 13, 11, 10 and 12 are a good chunk smaller than other cabs in the exchange area, which means effective cost per line is higher and if bigger cabs still to be done elsewhere they will get the priority as the gap funding is a fixed amount and Value For Money is a key driver.

Doubt cab 8 & 13 will get done even for 2017, but 10,11,12 look the sort of size to fall into the 2017 project (don't remember if West Sussex was giving more funding for then)

Of course as later phases of current project roll-out and if they have been careful with money things may change.

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 13-Jun-14 09:52:11
Print Post

Okay although Cab 10 is within a fairly large housing estate that was built donkey's years ago and seemed an obvious one to do... Unless there is a second cab in there somewhere?

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 13-Jun-14 09:56:03
Print Post

Thanks. I guess the College could afford to fund fibre themselves looking at their fees and continual expansion to educate just about every age range (unless they already have some form of leased line?).

Tony

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Fri 13-Jun-14 10:00:43
Print Post

I'd be surprised if they didn't, just about every other school, college, uni, library, etc seems to.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Jun-14 10:14:26
Print Post

Believe cab 3 also serves that estate and is the much larger cabinet. I assume we are talking about the small estate around Willow Way

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Jun-14 10:15:53
Print Post

Dedicated leased line fibre so that they are NOT affected by residents in the area doing a lot with their connection.

In effect rather than the shared backhaul of residential broadband they will have dedicated/reserved capacity on the backhaul in line with the fees they pay

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 13-Jun-14 10:22:41
Print Post

That make's sense. Thanks.

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Mon 16-Jun-14 13:07:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Cabs 8, 13, 11, 10 and 12 are a good chunk smaller than other cabs in the exchange area, which means effective cost per line is higher and if bigger cabs still to be done elsewhere they will get the priority as the gap funding is a fixed amount and Value For Money is a key driver.

Doubt cab 8 & 13 will get done even for 2017, but 10,11,12 look the sort of size to fall into the 2017 project (don't remember if West Sussex was giving more funding for then)

Of course as later phases of current project roll-out and if they have been careful with money things may change.

I'm creating a CabMap I can refer people to and am missing some:

3 8 9 12 13

9 is in Sayers Common and enabled I am told by a resident.

Anyone can help that would be great. I'll post a link to the map when done for corrections / additions and also will try to expand it outwards when I have time.

If anyone wants to offer locations and numbers for Hassocks / Burgess Hill / Henfield that would be helpful.

TIA

Tony

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 17-Jun-14 08:41:15
Print Post

9 is in Sayers Common and enabled I am told by a resident.

Anyone can help that would be great. I'll post a link to the map when done for corrections / additions and also will try to expand it outwards when I have time.

If anyone wants to offer locations and numbers for Hassocks / Burgess Hill / Henfield that would be helpful.

I think I found Cab 9 in Sayers Common smile

Cab 9

Tony

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Jun-14 10:22:01
Print Post

If you move around on street view you can get in a position where you can clearly see 9 on the cabinet.

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 17-Jun-14 13:17:55
Print Post

Yes, that's how I knew it was Cab 9 after I spotted the engineer's yellow jacket first in the distance (although I believe it's the only cab (at all or at that end of the village anyway). Note though that the engineer isn't there on the other views... My remark was really asking what are the chances of catching an engineer at any cab though at the moment a GoogleCam drives by?

I'm trying to find Cab 13 in Henfield at the moment which apparently also feeds remote parts of Albourne.

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Tue 17-Jun-14 14:58:18)

Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 17-Jun-14 14:13:11
Print Post

8 is in Hickstead Arena, not on streetview.
I believe 12 is down here
And this maybe 13
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Tue 17-Jun-14 14:20:03
Print Post

Henfield PCP13
Standard User tbailey2
(member) Tue 17-Jun-14 15:09:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by Ribble:
8 is in Hickstead Arena, not on streetview.
I believe 12 is down here
And this maybe 13

Great, thanks for all those. I walked past 3 yesterday on the other side of the road and didn't see it...

Cab 5 is about 500m north of there on the roundabout in the village so wonder why it's there? Only 11 or so addresses on the cab, mostly at the farm.

Thanks again.

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Tue 17-Jun-14 17:53:05)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 20-Jun-14 08:54:17
Print Post

Hurstpierpoint, Burgess Hill, Hassocks and Henfield Cab Map

Thanks to all for the cab location info.

As a result, I've moved this to a new thread with a more relevant subject as the original purpose of this one has now completed as we've had Fibre now for 4 months in Hurstpierpoint. Thanks to all who contributed smile

The new thread is
Hurstpierpoint, Burgess Hill, Hassocks and Henfield Cab Map

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Fri 20-Jun-14 16:00:22)

Standard User tbailey2
(member) Fri 20-Jun-14 17:35:45
Print Post

Re: Hurstpierpoint, Burgess Hill, Hassocks and Henfield Cab

Of course having said that, just had a major hiccup on my line! I've said in the past that I can often see installs taking place on my cab by the fact that the line SNR margin or Speeds jump up and down momentarily but usually go back to what they were. A couple of you said this is likely due to a bad jelly crimp on the d- or e-side in the cabinet being knocked around by a clumsy contractor!

About an hour ago the line suffered badly from this and in the process lost 10Mbps of d/l speed and the stats show 10 LOS (I've never had any in 4 months 'till then) and the DLM appears to have been at work.There was also a mass of errored seconds for an hour about 10 x normal

These DSLStats graphs show it clearly - it looks like the SNR margin has been upped by 6dB judging from when another disturbance temporariily cleared the bad connection a little later (and the interleave has also been dropped by about 300).

A BT Wholesale Speed Test shows the line as underperforming now (red result) at 32Mbps against a profile of 45Mbps (min should be 35Mbps).

SNR margin
Connection Speed

What's the best way of reporting this to plusnet as a line fault if that is in fact what it is please? Not affecting the telephone AFAIAA. I'm worried that at some point it'll disconnect completely and late on a Friday like now mad

The Live Stats in my sig show it quite well at the moment... Line had been up for 40 days prior to this.

TIA

Tony

Edited by tbailey2 (Fri 20-Jun-14 20:46:11)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to