General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User izools
(experienced) Mon 03-Jun-13 10:46:17
Print Post

Re: DLM and the NTE Modem

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Alexir:
In reply to a post by WWWombat:
I might have to rethink things - when I get back to where my VDSL2 spec is, and have time to peruse.

After six weeks of stable 38meg we decided to test again with another torrent and downloaded around 30gig over a couple of days, leaving it running overnight but stopping during the day. Almost immediately our speed has been reduced to 23.6meg. Basically this looks like a 24meg ceiling has been set by DLM and my guess is I will have to wait again for a few weeks before it resets back to 38meg.

So, any idea what's going on? Is the torrent download causing the speed reduction, the two events always seem to correlate even though the theory says they shouldn't. Is the 24meg ceiling set by BT DLM - TalkTalk tell me it is nothing they are doing, though their CS staff will only be following a script. TT used to traffic manage P2P but even that stopped last month to become 'totally unlimited' even for Essentials, the package I'm on.

I would still put this down to TalkTalk

When I was on BT Infinity Option 2 I absolutely pummeled the connection, to the tune of upto 500GB a month and my HTTP throughput never faltered. Sat steady at 76Mbit/sec throughout.

P2P throughput was sometimes limited but the speedtest results never showed this as they used HTTP traffic to benchmark the connection.

PlusNET - Excellent support!
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Jun-13 11:28:20
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

Like asbo, I'm still very much of the opinion that actually sending user data should NOT make any different to the errors stats seen on the line, so the volume of data should make no difference whatsoever.

But the observed behaviour is indeed strange.

I don't think we'll ever get to the bottom of the behaviour until there is more evidence related specifically to the DSL portion of the link. That means an unlocked modem, and capturing the statistics over time. Nothing else will do the job.

A BQM (or f8lure) would help see where changes happened, and how they related to the volume of data being sent - so would help give an indirect visual indication - but won't help identify any further.

Everything else is going to be speculation. Puzzled, frowning speculation indeed, but still just speculation.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 03-Jun-13 16:15:37
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

the question is does a modem in bridge mode have higher cpu load dealing with say 500 p2p connections than a single http connection even if both same throughput?

we know routers do but does a modem in bridge mode.

if yes then its possible that the extra stress on the device can affect dsl performance, such as bitswapping, error correction and uptime.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User asbokid
(member) Mon 03-Jun-13 16:33:45
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Exactly the same load in (ethernet) bridge mode, whether there's just one p2p connection at layer 3, or 500 of them. Every second, the bridge will forward the same count of ethernet frames (and frames of the same size), whether or not those frames have an empty payload.

cheers, a
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Jun-13 17:46:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
the question is does a modem in bridge mode have higher cpu load dealing with say 500 p2p connections than a single http connection even if both same throughput?
I think we need to be a little careful with terminology here.

A modem in bridge mode? Err - what?

Presumably you mean the Openreach modem/routers which are indeed supplied in bridge mode. As such, the router component is doing a straight pass-through to the user's router.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 03-Jun-13 18:41:01
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

ok thanks.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Mon 03-Jun-13 18:42:19
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The modems supplied by openreach are actually routers, but configured in bridge mode.

I refer as a modem as thats what 99% of people refer to them as, so simply to avoid confusion.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Jun-13 20:26:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
The modems supplied by openreach are actually routers, but configured in bridge mode.
Isn't that what I said? No they are not. They are modem/routers, or alternatively VDSL2 routers.

I refer as a modem as thats what 99% of people refer to them as, so simply to avoid confusion.
I fail to see how using incorrect terminology when discussing a reasonably complex technical issue is going to do anything but increase the chances of confusion.

Hence the explanation by myself and asbokid that a modem doesn't know about P2P streams.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Alexir
(regular) Tue 04-Jun-13 06:08:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As of last night, a week after the torrent download, speed has recovered from 24meg to around 33meg. This matches previous patterns when it moved up in steps to my normal 37ish. Does DLM have a series of set threshold ceilings?

Thanks all for your input on this, I realise it would be better if I had proper stats from the modem, if it's not too difficult I'll have a go at unlocking it

Edited by Alexir (Tue 04-Jun-13 06:14:21)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Jun-13 09:14:29
Print Post

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

Unlocking the HG612 is easy. Unlocking the ECI is not for the faint-hearted - best to get an HG612 off eBay and unlock that instead.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to