General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 04-Jun-13 10:19:43
Print Post

Re: DLM and the NTE Modem

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

DLM has different levels of FEC that it can request, which alters the amount of overhead used by the error-correction process, and therefore affects the remaining speed available to the end-user. It can roughly eat between 10 and 30% of your bandwidth.

DLM also has banding levels that can set absolute maximum speeds - but we don't often see these. The bands are probably further apart than you are seeing, and almost certainly don't change very often.

If DLM is causing this, then it is probably the former.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 04-Jun-13 18:00:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

you are the only one claiming to be confused by what I said.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Jun-13 23:29:01
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Errr wrong again. (That's three so far).

Asbokid (politely) explained you were talking nonsense and everyone else has ignored your "The question is ...."

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 04-Jun-13 23:45:24
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

no he just said there is no extra load on the device, he didnt moan about me calling it a modem.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User Alexir
(regular) Thu 13-Jun-13 15:30:22
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
If you can unlock the modem, then we can get the FEC and interleaving data, to see what is happening there too. We'll also be able to see the number of errors and (with multiple well-timed readings) be able to see the rate of errors.

Taken a while but have today unlocked the hg612 Should I be able to see more stats than these within admin http://goo.gl/hcxy3 or do I need to delve deeper
Standard User ryant704
(member) Thu 13-Jun-13 15:37:12
Print Post

The errors reported in the Web GUI are wrong, you should try Bald_eagles scripts or DSLStats.

I would provide links but I don't have one for balds but here is DSLStats.

http://www.s446074245.websitehome.co.uk/
Standard User Alexir
(regular) Thu 13-Jun-13 15:56:07
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ryant704:
I would provide links but I don't have one for balds

Is this it http://www.freewarefiles.com/HG612-Modem-Stats_progr... ?

Forgive the stupid question, do I need to put this on a PC and keep the computer running 24/7 to collect stats? With LAN2 from the modem connected to the router?
Standard User ryant704
(member) Thu 13-Jun-13 16:13:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alexir:
Is this it http://www.freewarefiles.com/HG612-Modem-Stats_progr... ?

Forgive the stupid question, do I need to put this on a PC and keep the computer running 24/7 to collect stats? With LAN2 from the modem connected to the router?

It certainly looks like it, though whether it has been *edited* is another question.

Yes you do, but you will be able to recover the total FEC at any given time.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jun-13 18:39:55
Print Post

If you can use telnet (or PuTTY in telnet mode) manually, then that will be enough to get a "feel".

I don't run the program 24/7. Instead, I just get it to gather a snapshot every now and again. That is done by manually running one of the batch files in BaldEagles package.

However, to track behaviour when you are performing P2P, you will want to the 24/7 monitoring running. Just to check...

BTW - you have a strange sync speed (35/2) given that the attainable is 84/25 - which could suggest some form of banding. Are you suffering after-effects from the last P2P still?

Edited by WWWombat (Thu 13-Jun-13 18:42:59)

Standard User Alexir
(regular) Thu 13-Jun-13 20:01:07
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
Are you suffering after-effects from the last P2P still?

Yes speedtests still show a ceiling of 24meg compared to around 38meg normally (not saying it's caused by P2P but it seems to correlate). Last time it took about six weeks I think before speed returned to normal.

How can I find out about telnet, is it complicated for an idiot? I've downloaded BE's package but not sure where to start with it
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to