General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Alexir
(regular) Sat 15-Jun-13 07:49:15
Print Post

Re: DLM and the NTE Modem

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Login in to the modem and change the IP to 192.168.2.254

Do I make this change via Basic>LAN? As you can see from screenshot I started doing that but it didn't like it and highlighted the Start IP address within DHCP (even though DHCP is disabled)

http://goo.gl/GNboR

BTW overnight my max downstream has dropped to 65656 which seems very low as the cabinet is about 100m away?

xdslcmd info --stats
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 25712 Kbps, Downstream rate = 65656 Kbps
Path: 0, Upstream rate = 1999 Kbps, Downstream rate = 34995 Kbps
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 15-Jun-13 09:23:02
Print Post

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

It's highly unlikely that IP address is in use, but before you make these changes it would be a good idea to check anyway, you need to login to your modem to do that. You should be able to find something similar to the DHCP section you see in the modem in your router settings. The range should go from 192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.253 THIS IS IN YOUR ROUTER (Belkin)

In your screen shot change the top IP address (make sure it is correct), and then click the top Submit button. After clicking submit you will lose access to the modem, just connect it to your router, connect your PC to your network and you then should be able to access it via the new IP address from any PC on the network.

Leave DHCP in the modem as it is, you don't want the modem giving out IP addresses, the router will be doing that.

During in these troubles you really need to be logging stats 24/7

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 15-Jun-13 09:56:12
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

I see the DHCP server on the modem is not enabled anyway, as you don't want it to be - you already have one on the Belkin and you don't want 2 on the same LAN.

So the entry for Start IP address and End IP address just have to have the same first 3 octets as the modem's IP address 192.168.2.1 and 192.168.2.254 as they won't be used anyway.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 17-Jun-13 21:48:05
Print Post

A couple of interesting things about the FEC and interleaving settings...

In reply to a post by Alexir:
INP:		0.00		0.00
delay:		0.00		0.00

These values indicate that DLM has specified that neither interleaving nor FEC are required, and that no additional delay can be allowed.

However, these figures...
In reply to a post by Alexir:
R:		16		16
D:		1		1
I:		254		80
N:		254		80

... show that FEC has been turned on, even though interleaving has not.

Downstream is currently using 16/254 bytes for FEC protection, or about 6%. Upstream is 16/80 bytes, or about 20%.

The modems should be safe to have chosen this FEC protection because they have so much leeway in SNRM that they can afford to do it.

While I note that they have done this, I don't think the reduction in sync speed (from 40Mbps to 35Mbps, or a 12.5% reduction) is a consequence. It looks more like banding.
Standard User Alexir
(regular) Tue 18-Jun-13 08:35:48
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
It looks more like banding.

When you say banding is that a series of set levels that DLM can choose?
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 18-Jun-13 10:24:08
Print Post

As we understand it, yes. But there are insufficient cases for us to have a definitive list of the various levels.

We do know that a band has an upper level that it won't sync above, and a lower level where it won't sync below. The lower level is usually half of the upper.

However, when banding is applied, you'd expect the sync speed to tend to end up at the upper level, and for it to be some "nice" number - a round figure near a power of 10, or a power of 2. Unless you can see evidence that the sync happened under more trying circumstances.
Standard User zom22
(learned) Tue 18-Jun-13 10:33:10
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

FTTC Banding levels as pinched from a plusnet staff reply to a question and reposted on the Kitz forum.......

FTTC bands
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 18-Jun-13 11:54:00
Print Post

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

You mean this? http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=dla...

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User Alexir
(regular) Thu 20-Jun-13 11:11:01
Print Post

Current plans to monitor the connection hoping for a recovery to full speed not going well due to someone in the house doing a massive P2P again. Anyway here's another snapshot http://goo.gl/lhhvV system uptime is 6 days 20 hours which I think is when I flashed the new firmware, what does DSL uptime 22 hours mean? The modem wasn't switched off as I guess that wouldn't allow a system uptime of 6 days, so the signal was interrupted yesterday? Also now on Interleave 1123
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 20-Jun-13 11:19:25
Print Post

DSL uptime is the time since the last resync, while system uptime is the time since the modem rebooted.

I can see that there was a change to the FEC settings (because R is now 10), but can't work out the rest as they fall into the next screenful. It'd be good to see all 6 parameters I mention in a previous post.

As some P2P has been running, it'd be good to see the set of FEC/CRC/ES values too.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | [7] | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to