General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Apr-13 14:59:52
Print Post

Re: FTTV - Fibre To The Village (really FTTdp)

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

BDUK isn't, strictly, for rural. It is merely to go from 67% coverage to 90% coverage.

The funding, from a central government perspective, certainly favoured the counties with rural areas over the suburban counties and metropolitan cities. No question about that part.

But those counties have plenty of city & town coverage that is needed, as well as their rural areas.

The local council now gets to choose where the coverage happens. They *might* favour rural over the incomplete parts of towns - but it'll cost more, and they'll hit less of their overall 90% target. Subsidising the in-fill of a town will (probably) need a little less money, and get more bang for the buck.

Different councils will follow different strategies, so it is hard to say where it will go.

My gut feel, right now (especially after watching Cioffi's lecture), is that councils should edge towards getting fibre to as many villages & hamlets as possible (ie concentrate on getting rural backhaul as ubiquitous as possible). This will give more opportunity for small groups & communities to buy themselves onto the network in the future, even if they're left off for now.

In favouring rural, they'd be leaving the in-fill out - Town/city groups missing from the rollout will not be far off the fibre network, and the financial picture will probably balance in their favour eventually.

Its all speculation though...
Standard User ryant704
(member) Sun 21-Apr-13 15:05:11
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

The BDUK is aimed at improving rural area's, seeing some Information about BDUK Norfolk I know they're marketing the lower market exchange areas which is good.

Edited by ryant704 (Sun 21-Apr-13 15:08:44)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 21-Apr-13 16:14:15
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

Generically, yes, BDUK is aimed at rural areas.

But each county as a whole includes the towns and cities, has a 90% target, and has a limited budget.

It also has the 2Mbps target for the remainder, from the same budget, but I'm leaving that part out - I'm only talking the SFBB portion.

The only realistic way it can hit the 90% target, with the budget it has, is to target the cheapest, easiest 90% - and, like the commercial rollout, this means it favours infill in the towns, *still*, over the deepest, darkest hamlets in the most out-of-the-way rural spots.

I've seen stats for the UK that say that 90.1% of the population live in urban areas. A coincidence that the numbers match, but using that definition of urban, you can see that BDUK SFBB is not for rural. It is just for the the un-commercial urban areas.

North Yorkshire's BDUK plan (pretty rural, like Norfolk) has taken the 13 exchanges of the commercial rollout, and added 110 exchanges or so (mostly market 1), leaving out only 5ish. But the 10% of population that gets left out is still going to be the most rural 10%, not the urban area.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ryant704
(member) Sun 21-Apr-13 16:33:44
Print Post

I know BDUK Norfolk (BBfN) is going to-do well as it's aimed at 80% Superfast 24Mbps+ then the remaining having access to at least 2Mbps.

This is what is planned though personally I can see the 80% being a bit lower and areas being missed out. The majority of big exchanges are planned or have been rolled out so there is only the rural areas to-do. None of this came from the BBfN so it the majority of the funds will be focused at the rural areas.

Edited by ryant704 (Sun 21-Apr-13 16:36:59)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 21-Apr-13 16:59:06
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

In December 2012 Norfolk County Council and BT signed a deal that means that over 80% of Norfolk’s homes and businesses are expected to be able to access superfast broadband (24 Megabits per second plus) by the end of 2015. In addition to this, the Better Broadband for Norfolk programme intends to make minimum broadband speeds of 2Mbps available to all Norfolk premises by the end of 2015.

The first services are expected to be available by the end of this year.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Sun 21-Apr-13 17:00:32)

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 22-Apr-13 11:45:42
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Ha, sounds ideal for small blocks of flats.
Just put a DSLAM in a rack in the basement / comms room or similar, that's the standard FTTB with VDSL approach.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 22-Apr-13 11:47:50
Print Post

I think the power is trivial TBH. A fair proportion of the final 10% will have overhead power (often on the same poles as the phone line) and electricity is pretty universal for a modest connection fee.

So is the "hard bit" getting the fibre to the locality ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 22-Apr-13 19:34:48
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Ha, sounds ideal for small blocks of flats.
Just put a DSLAM in a rack in the basement / comms room or similar, that's the standard FTTB with VDSL approach.

Yes if you have a high rise no problem, but I'm talking about small blocks. No basement, no comms room, no lift shaft, and in many cases no communal walkway areas.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Apr-13 00:10:32
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
I think the power is trivial TBH. A fair proportion of the final 10% will have overhead power (often on the same poles as the phone line) and electricity is pretty universal for a modest connection fee.

Access to power might be quite trivial, but not always so cheap.

On the other hand, while power probably exists at each house, it might not exist at the central point where the DP is.

So is the "hard bit" getting the fibre to the locality ?

I suspect it is, but it is a lot cheaper running fibre through agricultural landscape than through the towns.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 23-Apr-13 09:18:01
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

not even a common electrical distribution cupboard ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL diagnostics
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to