General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 23-Apr-13 09:38:07
Print Post

Re: FTTV - Fibre To The Village (really FTTdp)

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Access to power might be quite trivial, but not always so cheap.

£1200 ? I would feel more comfortable with a proper supply rather than a back-feed with the risk of householders turning off their kit etc.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Apr-13 12:54:14
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

That price is the basic starting level, if the cable is nearby, and there is capacity in the transformer.

Unfortunately, they don't average the actual cost over a number of subscribers, so if the transformer needs an upgrade, you get to pay in the entirety. The cost can suddenly jump to £50k instead, sometimes. It could explain why some cabinets become suddenly unviable, even after installation.

My main point was really that, while the houses will almost certainly have good access to power, the DP might not. And that would mean additional build costs, even in the normal case without transformer updates.

I agree at the potential for the aggravation when any amount of "other users" can cause your broadband to be lost.

But if that's the only way you're going to get connected?
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 23-Apr-13 13:03:11
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
But if that's the only way you're going to get connected?

Yeah, if that was the deciding factor. You do see the odd generator powered mobile base station where presumably costs were excessive but the vast majority are hooked up to the public supply.

The power load has to be supplied either way, be it adding on to households or a dedicated unmetered supply, so I would be challenging any "extra load" based charge concept.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 23-Apr-13 13:11:53
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
The power load has to be supplied either way, be it adding on to households or a dedicated unmetered supply, so I would be challenging any "extra load" based charge concept.

The transformer (and cable) capacity isn't based on how much you (and all other connections) actually do use. It is based on how much you *could* use, ever.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to