General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:23:35
Print Post

Re: BTOR Flat modem cable

[re: underzone] [link to this post]

Very naughty. smile I hope you can put it back the way it should be if ever you need to get OR to investigate a fault.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:27:23
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Can anyone suggest a good supplier of suitable madeup cable for us non-crimpers?

The item below looks appropriate, even though it says ADSL2+ in the description. (I think I'm allowed to post vendor items on this forum? Apologies if I've misread the FAQ)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3m-ADSL2-High-Speed-Broadb...

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User mikehiow
(committed) Thu 25-Apr-13 10:39:30
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

That looks fine smile

ZeN > plusnet > entanet > <aaisp.net> > Sky LLU > WightWireless > Plusnet FTTC 73/17

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 12:39:54
Print Post

[re: underzone] [link to this post]

IDIOT.

You are interfering with a part of te service the you should not touch. Crimping the connector on breaks the Ts & Cs you contractually agreed to. When you line finally fails - don't run off crying when BT turn round and ignore their part of the contract. Also, in doing so you introduced a short circuit across the line which can harm both the DSLAM and voice circuit. You also have no surge arrestor in the circuit which open you up to other faults and when 250v comes down the line and destroys your modem - hard luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 12:46:34
Print Post

Looks OK, but it use infrastructure cable rather than patch cable. However on te plus side the cable is probably only 2 pair rather than four pair cut back.

Infrastructure cable is solid conductor and is designed to stay in place and not be flexed too much or it will break and should go into the Krone type IDC terminals. Patch cable is multi stranded and will take plenty of movement and flexing and works well with the penetrating pins of an RJ plug.

Using multi-strand in an IDC will often result in failure and the inner conductors move and the blades do not cut the insulation or if they do contact can be iffy. Using solid conductor in an RJ plug will result in te blade sitting to one side of teh conductor and little pressure on the side and again an iffy connection can occur - or at worst no connection at all.

M H C

Standard User mikehiow
(committed) Thu 25-Apr-13 13:34:09
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I know you're not *supposed* to use infrastructure cable in RJ plugs, but I've never had any real problems doing so. I have had issues using stranded cable in IDC terminals, though.

What I've just done was done using infrastructure stuff as I had no stranded cable left.

Of course, I wouldn't do it for a customer, but in real world conditions I don't really see an issue with it.

ZeN > plusnet > entanet > <aaisp.net> > Sky LLU > WightWireless > Plusnet FTTC 73/17
Standard User asbokid
(member) Thu 25-Apr-13 13:35:08
Print Post

Good advice as ever. There is a type of RJ11/RJ45 plug for solid core cable. Instead of using blades that press into the multistrands, it has 'cup' style connectors that wrap around the solid cores.

cheers, a
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Thu 25-Apr-13 13:37:13
Print Post

Thanks for the comments. I ordered the cable when I got an earlier reply (indeed, it is already marked as dispatched) so I'll see how it goes.
I'll report back on any speed changes that result.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 13:57:42
Print Post

It will be fine provided you install it and leave it there. If you unplug it or it gets nudged by your feet or teh vacuum cleaner every week then that is what can cause failure.

I actually have used infrastructure cable for one of mine but it is plugged in and fixed in place - does not get nudged or moved.

M H C

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 25-Apr-13 14:19:35
Print Post

[re: mikehiow] [link to this post]

If anyone has their modem close to the master socket and would like to try a short twisted pair cable, I have an 18inch one made from a pair removed from an old cat6 patch cable, RJ45 (for the faceplate) to RJ11

Free to the first one to pm their address.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to