General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 14:53:02
Print Post

Re: BTOR Flat modem cable

[re: systemx] [link to this post]

I already use a short cable - 50cm long. The difference I see is minimal between the twisted pair and flat - measurable in kbps or 10s kbps However, mine is a special situation: all my comms equipment is situated in a small purpose built roof space. The roof above is copper, the ceiling below is foiled backed plasterboard, some of my floors are steel plates and the only equipment in there is comms related - modem, router, switch &c with the PSUs blocks located as far as possible away from the modem. so everything is fairly well shielded or remote from external or house generated interference.

I have at times tried long (10m or more) flat and twisted pair cables and certainly the improvement with twisted pairs can be significant.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 25-Apr-13 14:59:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
I already use a short cable - 50cm long. The difference I see is minimal between the twisted pair and flat - measurable in kbps or 10s kbps However, mine is a special situation: all my comms equipment is situated in a small purpose built roof space. The roof above is copper, the ceiling below is foiled backed plasterboard, some of my floors are steel plates and the only equipment in there is comms related - modem, router, switch &c with the PSUs blocks located as far as possible away from the modem. so everything is fairly well shielded or remote from external or house generated interference.

I have at times tried long (10m or more) flat and twisted pair cables and certainly the improvement with twisted pairs can be significant.

Oh I say!! You are not one of those people I see on Discovery preparing for the end of the world are you? Lots of tinned food laid in. (between you and me i'm a bit like that I found my Tilley lamp repair kit the other day, left over from the three day week and power cuts)

Edited by systemx (Thu 25-Apr-13 15:06:34)

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 15:08:13
Print Post

In reply to a post by systemx:
Oh I say!! You are not one of those people I see on Discovery preparing for the end of the world are you? Lots of tinned food laid in.

No, just planned it that way when I built a large extension. Put 600m of Cat5e in the extension - all terminating in this attic which is above an upstairs hallway. Then had lines moved to there - PSTN, ADSL and ISDN. Plenty of sockets, and it is on a separate RCBO so that if something else trips the power this room will stay up. So it houses all the comms, networking and alarms easy to work on and te BT Techs have all commented how nice it us to have space and easy access.

I also put in a wine store - fairly stable temperature wise.

M H C

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Thu 25-Apr-13 15:13:01
Print Post

On a serious note yes it does sound just the job.
Standard User StephenTodd
(committed) Thu 25-Apr-13 16:50:18
Print Post

Sounds the opposite of mine. Mains box with several fuse boxes and a meter, ancient old bell with mains transformer, wireless phone base station, master socket, modem fairly all huddled together. Maybe I should neaten/separate that a bit as well as trying the new cable?

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 25-Apr-13 17:09:01
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
Sounds the opposite of mine. Mains box with several fuse boxes and a meter, ancient old bell with mains transformer, wireless phone base station, master socket, modem fairly all huddled together. Maybe I should neaten/separate that a bit as well as trying the new cable?

As it was when I had ADSL

And now with VDSL

The patch leads are normally tidier than that, and I now have 2 VDSL modems installed, ECI & Huawei, one above the other.

The red and black wire disappearing off the top goes to a small extractor fan powered from a clean 12v supply - on really hot days it keeps the temperature down.

M H C

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 18:52:46
Print Post

Your loft looks like one of the training set up boards you get to practice on before you can wreak havoc in the real world. smile

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 25-Apr-13 18:57:02
Print Post

[re: underzone] [link to this post]

So when you have to report a fault with the VDSL, they run a line test, it comes back as dis in network, and you get some hairy ar**d jointer with no knowledge of VDSL to fix it.

Oh, and you'll get a hefty bill.

Buffoon.

Standard User systemx
(experienced) Fri 26-Apr-13 01:32:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by systemx:
If anyone has their modem close to the master socket and would like to try a short twisted pair cable, I have an 18inch one made from a pair removed from an old cat6 patch cable, RJ45 (for the faceplate) to RJ11

Free to the first one to pm their address.

Now gone to a good home
Standard User underzone
(member) Fri 26-Apr-13 08:56:04
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Takes 2 seconds to put the socket back on, unless you are retarded. Are you?

Jump to