General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Tue 14-May-13 17:06:12
Print Post

Re: Huawei HG622 VDSL2 FTTC modem router on Ebay, 7 Left

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

DLM if lucky can remove FEC overheads pretty fast, but banding seems to take longer.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 14-May-13 17:51:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
If you can explain easily, or point me at something that does:
what is the difference between N: and I: ?
what does INP: actually measure?

Try this post for more help about I, N, R and D and how they work within interleaving and FEC.

There is a relationship between I and N in the spec - one has to be a multiple of the other, but I can never remember which way around. They always seem to be the same in practice.
Standard User Bald_Eagle1
(experienced) Tue 14-May-13 21:43:49
Print Post

I'm not choosing the refund, but hanging onto it (at least for now). I like to have spares; and it acts as a spare if either the HG612 or the HomeHub collapses. Also, it may well be that we get improved firmware, or somebody discovers and posts a configuration detail I had missed. And I like experimenting; though it is a shame that with DLM the way it is, unsuccessful experiments can take quite a time to undo.

I noticed you used the HG622 as a combined modem/router.

FWIW, I tried the HG622 in bridge mode as a modem only, still using my Netgear WNR1000v3 as the router.

My speeds did drop to their current low level whilst using the HG622, but unlike your connection, didn't return on reinstalling the HG612.

My findings therefore may just be down to the crosstalk (or whatever it is) as being discussed in another thread.
(unless DLM disliked the HG622 that much that it's now making me play the waiting game before it decides to let me have a go at some more speed again).

TBH, the graphed stats in the few days I tried the HG622 didn't really look much different to those using data obtained from a HG612.

If/when my connection settles properly again, I'll give the HG622 a proper prolonged test, now that my amended programs work properly with it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Fri 24-May-13 11:21:17
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

You said My speeds did drop to their current low level whilst using the HG622, but unlike your connection, didn't return on reinstalling the HG612.

Mine didn't return; you probably misinterpreted what I (ambiguously) said. After reinstalling the HG612 I said Currently on exactly the same sync etc as before, as I would expect from DLM. What I meant by that was that I was still on the same low sync as with the HG622 immediately before, not on the same high sync as previously on the 612.

DLM has behaved more or less as expected and I am now getting back to previous HG612 sync speeds (76179), but still not there.
14 May 53289 (with HG622, and then with HG612)
17 May 59998 (upload back to full)
22 May 63263
23 May 66998

Are your sync speeds similarly recovering?

As I mentioned before, with HG622 I was seeing RSCorr average rates of 1000's per second, with HG612 currently seeing under 10 per second.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
(experienced) Fri 24-May-13 17:50:21
Print Post

Are your sync speeds similarly recovering?

Nope!

Currently DS 20667 Kbps, US 4774 Kbps

I do think I also have other issues at the moment though such as possibly increased crosstalk or more or less permanent REIN as my QLN graph has deteriorated since December, following 7 months of around 30Mb, even with the occasional resync.

EDIT:

Just to confirm, I now think it was pure coincidence that I started using the HG622 just at the time my connection was 'suffering'/acting a little strangely e.g. Interleaving being turned off unexpectedly & sync speeds already dropping while noting deteriorated QLN data.

Edited by Bald_Eagle1 (Fri 24-May-13 22:26:39)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 27-May-13 22:39:02
Print Post

[re: Bald_Eagle1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Bald_Eagle1:
It seems that we have sussed it now (thanks asbokid), using just the one set of programs for both the HG612 & HG622 on VDSL2 connections, automatically detecting which modem is in use.

I'll continue testing for another couple of days before asking RONSKI to upload the amended programs (also including a few other minor 'improvements/additions').
Has there been any progress on this please? I downloaded from RONSKI's site yesterday (Sun 26) and it doesn't seem to want to play.

A couple of other issues I have:-

1) I can't find where to enable pings on the 622, so my BQM doesn't work.

2) More importantly I can't find any way of disconnecting the PPP session and re-starting it. This matters because I seem to have something odd on my connection to Plusnet, even with the TG582n. On initial connection after a factory reset the TR069 never completes the connection, and the same with the 622. I rang support about it and they couldn't even see attempts to connect. Disconnecting the session and reconnecting twice, through the 582n GUI, fixed it. So I need to try the same with the 622. Any ideas anyone please?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User asbokid
(member) Mon 27-May-13 22:54:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
1) I can't find where to enable pings on the 622, so my BQM doesn't work.

Would a DMZ suit your configuration?
2) More importantly I can't find any way of disconnecting the PPP session and re-starting it. This matters because I seem to have something odd on my connection to Plusnet, even with the TG582n. On initial connection after a factory reset the TR069 never completes the connection, and the same with the 622. I rang support about it and they couldn't even see attempts to connect. Disconnecting the session and reconnecting twice, through the 582n GUI, fixed it. So I need to try the same with the 622. Any ideas anyone please?

In IP_Router (PPP) mode, maybe try [Basic] -> [WAN] -> [Connection Trigger] (switching it from Always On to Manual, to allow manual dis/connections) Or does that drop the DSL sync as well though?

cheers, a
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 27-May-13 23:01:02
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

DMZ - pass! (I assume others have pings/BQM working, maybe that's how, but not something I have ever touched).

Connection trigger - I did wonder about that and the same thought occurred about the sync. Maybe I'll give it a try in a couple of days. Tomorrow is busy, and I wouldn't be suprprised if the DLM doesn't hit me overnight after all the messing I did today between the 582 and 622.

It does seem to connect a little faster than the 582, both down and up smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 28-May-13 07:16:54
Print Post

[re: asbokid] [link to this post]

It's on it's way, I believe the 622 problem has been fixed, and some other alterations/improvements are currently being tested.

(experienced) Tue 28-May-13 07:18:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Has there been any progress on this please? I downloaded from RONSKI's site yesterday (Sun 26) and it doesn't seem to want to play.

The HG622 compatible programs haven't been uploaded yet as they are still being tweaked here & there.

Let me know if you wish me to directly send you a working 'test' version though.

The programs have only been tested on a HG622 working as a modem only (in bridge mode), but I imagine they will also work when it is used as a combined modem/router.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to