General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 29-Apr-13 08:52:08
Print Post

Anyone Offering FTTP on Demand?

[link to this post]

Openreach were due to launch the FTTPoD product today - has any ISP started offering it? Is there any way to find out the actual installation charge (or at least an estimate based on how far from the fibre aggregation point you are)?

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Apr-13 09:30:58
Print Post

Re: Anyone Offering FTTP on Demand?

[re: deleted] [link to this post]

If looking for an estimate, look for your existing FTTC fibre twin.

Before you worry about the ISP, they need to announce which bits of the UK are to get it first.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 29-Apr-13 09:51:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you. I thought it was going to be available to any line connected to a FTCC enabled cabinet? I am on an FTTC enabled cabinet and 0.3miles from the cabinet (if the line runs along the road) but BT reports a max speed of 13mb/s which is eh I am keen to look at FTTPoD.

Why is the FTTC fibre twin?

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 29-Apr-13 10:16:30
Print Post

It will be to any FTTC cabinet in time, but the word is that a limited availability as Openreach train up more engineers and then a wider coverage.

FTTC fibre twin - I mean the cabinet with the air vents housing the FTTC hardware, next door to the older telephone cabinet. The Aggregation Node will usually be fairly close to the new cabinet.

13 Mbps estimate suggests a distance more like 1km rather than 300m. So how sure are you the number of the cabinet you have seen corresponds to the one your telephone connects to.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User robertcrowther
(regular) Mon 29-Apr-13 10:55:17
Print Post

In reply to a post by bdo21:
Openreach were due to launch the FTTPoD product today - has any ISP started offering it? Is there any way to find out the actual installation charge (or at least an estimate based on how far from the fibre aggregation point you are)?

Thanks

Most likely won't be available from retail ISP's until Late May/June
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 29-Apr-13 11:14:26
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the responses. The fibre twin cabinet is a couple of metres from the other cabinet so 0.3miles or 500m from the house and I'm not aware of any other possible cabinet. I was keen to see what openreach say about the distance using their database but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

Thanks,

Brian
Standard User deleted
(deleted) Mon 29-Apr-13 16:53:23
Print Post

I see openreach have released the initial areas where it will be available. I am in the Watford postcode but connected to the Elstree exchange so I assume I'm not covered by the reference to "Watford" in the list. frown

Hopefully the national rollout will follow soon
  Print Thread

Jump to