General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User GorillaWheels
(newbie) Tue 07-May-13 09:43:09
Print Post

Re: Fibre availability at a specific cabinet.

[re: zom22] [link to this post]

Thanks zom22,

I would agree that 244 line cabs would make sense, but i'd imagine BTOR will say that is not economically viable as they can't be sure what the take up will be and they don't want to pay the extra cost involved. I think your right they will provision for a certain percentage and then place another cab if necessary. I just think it would be more sensible to put the bigger cab in first. All about cost I suppose.
I haven't seen a big cab in my town.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 07-May-13 09:45:09
Print Post

[re: GorillaWheels] [link to this post]

70% of households have broadband approx, so 50% switch to FTTC is still only 35% of lines.

Where cable is available potentially lower takeup too ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Tue 07-May-13 10:08:00
Print Post

All the cabs on our three local exchange's are the smaller 128 line ECI cabinets.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-May-13 10:34:53
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/05/take-up...

Various flaws, but even a report commissioned by a competitor suggests 2020 for take-up to take off. So the current not installing capacity to serve 100% of a cabinet seems sensible, rather than installing larger cab that remains unused.

Who knows by 2020 FoD may have come down in price.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-May-13 11:12:06
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Interesting report that one.

The report gives a lifetime of 8 years for DSLAM electronics within the cabinet, but 20 years for the cabinets themselves and for the fibre, then 40 years for the ducting.

That suggests that one possible future upgrade (with a 2020 timescale) would be to replace the DSLAM with higher density linecards - which would work if the cabinet could be fitted with enough copper connection strips.

I agree that the power users will have started to move out of the FTTC cabinets by 2020, and started drifting into full fibre solutions. That is a factor that increases availability of ports in the DSLAM.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Tue 07-May-13 12:56:43
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
All the cabs on our three local exchange's are the smaller 128 line ECI cabinets.

I was under the impression that all ECI CABs were the same size and it is simply the number of cards inside which determined the capacity?

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User R0NSKI
(experienced) Tue 07-May-13 13:16:24
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Yes, I think you are correct, the bigger cabinets are Huawei cabs.

(newbie) Tue 07-May-13 16:19:58
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Thanks for all your recent posts guys RONSKI, greenglide, yarwell, WWWombat and thanks for the link MrSaffron, interesting reading.

On a slightly different topic, I thought BTOR might have put stickers on enabled cabs saying SFBB now available for people served by this cab. That ever happen?
Standard User Crusiux
(learned) Tue 07-May-13 16:45:19
Print Post

They usually do, though it seems to vary from place to place. We were enabled a month ago but no stickers have been placed yet, though others areas around us who were enabled a while back have stickers on every fibre cab.

Unlimited BT Infinity 2 Down 73.6 Up 9.7
(newbie) Tue 07-May-13 18:06:58
Print Post

[re: Crusiux] [link to this post]

Thanks Crusiux,
I wasn't too sure if all would get them, I just remember seeing a photo of the SFBB in Cornwall, big purpley advert if memory serves me right, plastered across a Huawei 244 cab. I realise they are a slightly different kettle of fish a there scheme is a massive thing I think with EU money (?) something of an Openreach flagship affair.

Maybe advertising stickers come along in time if takeup is at a snails pace?

Going back to earlier posts about cab capacity and extra cabs for demand, if you haven't already seen this page, makes interesting reading/viewing. His village did get more cabs to keep up with demand. Diary of an FTTC Install
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to