General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Sat 18-May-13 11:52:12
Print Post

Re: 30.9Mb estimated, worth going for bt infinity 2?

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I would suggest to the OP dont tell BE cancel That should reduce the risk of being without broadband if there were problems.

Isn't there a risk that will create a 'forced cancellation' which would mean that BE was within its rights to make the cancellation charge. (The charge they so often make anyway and then admit they were wrong.) It would certainly increase the cost to the OP because of maximum overlap period where he has paying for both.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 18-May-13 11:58:27
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

charge better then the hassle I seen on the plusnet forum, someone now has no internet and lost their phone number.

To me its simple, never ever ever cancel old isp until new one is online. If you pay extra month subs or whatever during that period so be it.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 18-May-13 12:07:46
Print Post

What seems to have happened is that the poster got a MAC without agreeing a cancellation date so that when the MAC was used, this initiated the Express cancellation.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Dinnerty
(newbie) Sat 18-May-13 12:17:15
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
You can't have BE and Infinity at the same time.

But sometimes you order Infinity and get an install date; but the installer doesn't turn up. (See lots on the BT forums)
They then reschedule, often for a couple of weeks later or more.
If you have arranged for your BE contract to end exactly on the Infinity install date, you can end up with no broadband for a while.
You might be able to arrange BT ADSL pretty sharpish in that case; but with complications because the BE LLU might mean work at the exchange to arrange that.
Also, BE are apparently helpful about short extensions to end of contract, but there can be details (line cease or ???) which can mean they can't help even if they want to.
Luckily, this sort of problem is fairly rare, but as I said, not as rare as it should be ....

I think my Infinity install was around 3 weeks after order: I can't remember now.
They do sometimes install at weekends; I don't know how difficult it is to get a weekend appointment, and whether it might mean a longer wait.

Cheers everyone, espically you StephenTodd, been very helpful indeed
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-May-13 14:44:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
I would suggest to the OP dont tell BE cancel, as they then cease the line which can cause issues. I would only cancel after new service is live.
This cannot happen if the line rental is not with Be. So far as I now we don't know about the OP's.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-May-13 16:38:01
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ryant704:
I believe a MAC Code isn't required when swapping from a LLU provider to BTW.
A MAC is always required, to be requested from old ISP and then presented to new ISP, if you want to avoid hassle and charges when you migrate any BB, ADSL or Fibre, which is hosted over a BTw WLR phone line.

Be is a Partial LLU ISP so the line is WLR, whether OP has rental with Be or someone else.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 18-May-13 16:53:07
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

And to add with Full LLU providers (the majority of TalkTalk and Sky customers (and some Tesco ones)) there is no need for a MAC, and one cannot be generated.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 18-May-13 17:01:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

And to add when migrating to Full LLU providers a MAC can't be accepted just as when migrating from Full LLU providers a MAC can't be generated.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 18-May-13 17:05:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

BE can still cease broadband, cancelling before new service is live is too big a risk as far as I am concerned.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 18-May-13 17:14:46
Print Post

I agree there is that risk, though not many people would want to pay a full month after migration. That wasn't what you said though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to