General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User majika2007
(regular) Thu 23-May-13 14:38:40
Print Post

Re: BTW Diag. IP Profile slower than PN my current profile

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

update:

I posted a new thread on the PN members forum to outline the above situation.

I have checked if the actual support ticket raised regarding this issue has changed status - Nothing there yet.

Considering that its nearly been 14hrs since my initial support concern shall I attempt to power down my connection to see if I can force a change in my IP profile without triggering DLM (as WWWombat suggested)

Or just hang tight a little longer.. ?

Plusnet Awaiting a new router PN Also PN IP Profile Half
Standard User ryant704
(member) Thu 23-May-13 16:18:22
Print Post

[re: majika2007] [link to this post]

Personally I would just wait for a reply from PN, then if they're no use do as Wombat Suggested.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-May-13 16:32:48
Print Post

DLM will be monitoring all the time - it usually stays quiet for the first 2 days, and then intervenes (if it is going to) overnight after that.

With FTTC, it seems that it mainly responds to the errors on the line (that you can't see while the modem is locked), and very infrequently on the number of re-syncs.

It is also probably smart enough to identify a power-related resync from a quality-related resync. Probably...

All in all, it is probably reasonable to power down the modem once, without ill-effect (I did mine a couple of days ago, but that is a different story). There's no certainty, but you are probably OK.

[Aside: If you want to be sure you haven't had any resyncs, the best tool (without having an unlocked modem) is to run the BT speedtest, and check the downstream IP profile hasn't changed. If the line is getting resyncs, this value is likely to change each time.]

OR...

Ring Plusnet again. There's likely to be someone who can do the change within minutes.

Note your post on the PN forum doesn't show the "current line speed" value from PN's portal - and your mention of being on a 40/10 profile might be confusing - that makes it look like a problem with the order on the BT side of things, whereas your problem is definitely on the PN side.

So, just mention that the PN portal says your "current line speed" is 38 (or whatever) while BT says it is 76 (or whatever) - either on the phone, or on an extra post on the forum thread - and that will clarify things.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User majika2007
(regular) Thu 23-May-13 17:21:12
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

Update:

PN have just bumped up my IP Profile to 80/20.

- My PPPoE Session dropped out.
- Modem lights flashed but no activity my side on the line.
- Modem lights stopped flashing then solid Green.
- PPPoE Dial-up window popped up but wouldn't let me sign back in immediately so I waited for 6mins
** As I read somewhere on the PN forums this is how long PN have configured their systems to hold on to PPP sessions. ***
- There was No Reboot of Server required, kept power to modem (no modem power-down)
- I just got my PPPoE session 'kicked' off
- Reconnected after short waiting time just to be sure it was PN re-configuring my Profile.
(which it was, lol makes sense)
- Re authenticated
- Authenticated first time (unlike the old 56k dial-up days)
- IP profile 80/20 (or there about)

Plus net have sorted things out - Fair play smile smile

According to BTW Tests results now show:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 66.48 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-73.15 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 73.15 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 15.07Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

I think this is a job well done.

From one VERY happy little bunny...

What do you guys think ?

P.S. What is the MTU size for PPPoE Sessions 1500 or 1440 or 1480

Plusnet Awaiting a new router PN Also PN IP Profile Half
Standard User ryant704
(member) Thu 23-May-13 17:39:53
Print Post

1500 (1492) 8 for overheads.
Standard User majika2007
(regular) Thu 23-May-13 18:20:46
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

MTU 1500 Thought so..
Thanks.

As you can imagine I am well chuffed.
See my speedtest results: http://www.speedtest.net/result/2727143598.png

plusnet FTTC 80/20
speedtest Result

Edited by majika2007 (Thu 23-May-13 18:49:48)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-May-13 18:52:49
Print Post

Definitely gives you a buzz when it gets sorted wink
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Thu 23-May-13 19:31:03
Print Post

Excellent. Just for a little more, if your use the Thinkbroadband speed test you will probably find your upload is really 17Mbps; the BT speedtesters tend to underestimate a little. If in future you feel like unlocking the modem and removing QoS, it may go to around 18.5.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-May-13 20:05:26
Print Post

Those speed test results are making me jealous, glad it's sorted wink

Standard User majika2007
(regular) Fri 24-May-13 10:02:09
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Yeah,
cheers guys it a definite buzz..
like I said over on the PN Forum if I were to ask my old ISP to reprofile my line it would have been like getting blood out of a stone.!

If in future you feel like unlocking the modem and removing QoS, it may go to around 18.5.

I was in fact checking out the Kitz forum thread by RONSKI (and others) about their experience unlocking the ECI FOCuS v-2FUB/r Rev.2 also the ECI Modem Plotter Project looks promising.

Its seems a task I am willing to keep until another day.. I am happy for a while now. Keeping in mind I haven't even got my PN Router yet. Connection is PC > Modem (PPPoE Session)

Lol, You never know, I may get that "itch" to just take a little peek inside the ECI and crack that sucker open.. wink

P.S As I was just about to post this what just dropped on my matt... drum roll please.
My router has arrived.!
no wonder my first router was RMA'ed the Postman just dropped it through my letter box. landed like a brick.
I just asked him "Umm.. Why not give me a knock before posting it and then if no answer dont just chuck it through (in a friendly kind of way) ?

He laughed and said to me "hey mate you want to see how they throw them around in the office".

Dear Postman, I know is Friday and the bank holiday is here but come on. show me some love..

Cheers all smile
Majika

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to