General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ashmo
(newbie) Fri 31-May-13 15:20:12
Print Post

Fibre fault between home and cabinet?

[link to this post]

Had the engineer over today to install my TT fibre but with no luck he said everything was working fine at the cabinet but the modem was not picking up the signal, the modem said DSL on it which was a bit odd anyway he said there is an issue and he would have to request to get a BT copper engineer out!? He said he was not with BT but a contractor is this normal? How long do I wait now as he didnít give me much information frown
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Fri 31-May-13 16:02:16
Print Post

Re: Fibre fault between home and cabinet?

[re: ashmo] [link to this post]

You need to talk to your ISP who is providing the service.

If there is truly ADSL at your house then I presume he either hasn't put the link in to the FTTC CAB, possibly because he has been given the wrong details.

Maybe he can't identify your line at the PCP.

A "copper" OpenReach engineer would tend to have done this right in the first place.

As a contractor he will only work on "copper" as well - certainly doesnt have access to the FTTC CAB!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 16:17:31
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

He did have access to the cab as he was testing loads of stuff I even asked him if I was the first in the street to get fibre and he said I was the 3rd his van did have a contractor sticker on it with his name then a smaller BT Open reach sticker, he said he was getting sync at the cab but not at the modem, my ADSL is working fine even though its slow the main reason for the upgrade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-May-13 16:22:51
Print Post

ADSL should stop working as soon as they do the changes at the cabinet

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 16:29:47
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
ADSL should stop working as soon as they do the changes at the cabinet

Everything did go off after the switch but no fibre so he put everything back and the ADSL was back he said he will get a copper engineer next week sometime and left at that 2mins later I drove down the road and at the next cab a real BT engineer was there why couldn't he have done my installation been stuck with 2mb for 5 years now frown I'll try and give TT a ring but 99% of the time they have no idea what your on about.
Standard User greenglide
(experienced) Fri 31-May-13 16:31:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by ashmo:
He did have access to the cab as he was testing loads of stuff I even asked him if I was the first in the street to get fibre and he said I was the 3rd his van did have a contractor sticker on it with his name then a smaller BT Open reach sticker, he said he was getting sync at the cab but not at the modem, my ADSL is working fine even though its slow the main reason for the upgrade.

The installers have access to the PCP but not the FTTC CAB.

The install a link from your line to the cable going to the FTTC CAB.

It still sounds like he couldnt find your pair - normally they would use a test tone if this was the case.

You need to get in touch with your FTTC ISP to see whether anything is happening otherwise it may go down a black holefrown

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 16:37:46
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by greenglide:

The installers have access to the PCP but not the FTTC CAB.

The install a link from your line to the cable going to the FTTC CAB.

It still sounds like he couldnt find your pair - normally they would use a test tone if this was the case.

You need to get in touch with your FTTC ISP to see whether anything is happening otherwise it may go down a black holefrown

He was using a test tone thing he even phoned me to ask if the lights were on it he did not put a lot of confidence in me 2 weeks waiting for this :/
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 17:26:00
Print Post

Called up TT and OMG the worst customer support ever!

The first time got cut off after 20 minutes!

Called up again the guy on the phone kept saying he could not see any fault! And he could see that I was calling from my landline!? Funny as I was calling from my mobile in work!

I said how can you see a fault if my phone and ADSL is working fine? And the fibre equipment is off?

3rd time someone in the UK maybe?

No a happy bunny.

Edited by ashmo (Fri 31-May-13 17:28:16)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-May-13 17:39:41
Print Post

Called up TT and OMG the worst customer support ever!

And there end the lesson in why I'd never recommend, or even suggest TT

That said, persevere and I hope you get it sorted quickly, the contractors are known for their poor installations, hopefully when you get a BT guy you'll get a better job done as well.

Edited by R0NSKI (Fri 31-May-13 17:40:41)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-May-13 18:30:23
Print Post

If the contractor has done the right thing with your install task, then they will have raised a 'dis D side' activity, hopefully the engineer who comes to do this (I'll bet there is nothing wrong with your line) ail be able to do the cab jumper for you, and get you in service. Even if the Openreach bod isn't FTTC trained, once they prove the pair as good, the install will be reappointed.

Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 18:32:29
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
If the contractor has done the right thing with your install task, then they will have raised a 'dis D side' activity, hopefully the engineer who comes to do this (I'll bet there is nothing wrong with your line) ail be able to do the cab jumper for you, and get you in service. Even if the Openreach bod isn't FTTC trained, once they prove the pair as good, the install will be reappointed.

All sounds so simple all I want is a date frown

Called up TT again for the 4th time!

30 minutes on the phone transferred from Customer service to technical support then to some other department could not understand the person sounded like cancelation department ??? spoke to someone there they put me on hold then after 5mins just transferred me back to customer service!

One person said my fibre was not active and the engineer should have contacted them before leaving!?

One person said my line is not even active!?

One person said I have not even ordered fibre!?

TT all good untill you have an issue, funny how there sales team is in the UK but everything else elsehwhere.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-May-13 18:35:11
Print Post

All sounds so simple all I want is a date

The dis D will be non-appointed.

Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 18:37:33
Print Post

All sounds so simple all I want is a date

The dis D will be non-appointed.

So could be any day frown is there a way I can contact open reach for a date or something as I'm more likely not to be in, I might just drive around looking for a open reach egnineer ha.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-May-13 18:47:44
Print Post

is there a way I can contact open reach for a date or something as I'm more likely not to be in, I might just drive around looking for a open reach egnineer ha.

That will get you nowhere I'm afraid. The vehicles are all tracked, the engineers have to be where they are supposed to be.

Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 18:49:44
Print Post

is there a way I can contact open reach for a date or something as I'm more likely not to be in, I might just drive around looking for a open reach egnineer ha.

That will get you nowhere I'm afraid. The vehicles are all tracked, the engineers have to be where they are supposed to be.

hmmm do they work on saturdays?
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-May-13 19:00:44
Print Post

So, does that mean he'll come home one day and his broadband won't work, but FTTC will once he plugs the modem in?

If that is the case he won't need to worry about being at home, but of course it does still leave him worrying about whether any further action is going to be taken or not.

Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 19:07:24
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
So, does that mean he'll come home one day and his broadband won't work, but FTTC will once he plugs the modem in?

If that is the case he won't need to worry about being at home, but of course it does still leave him worrying about whether any further action is going to be taken or not.

Yes that is one of the main reasons I would like to know the engineer today just left everything and I had to put back my old ADSL router still working now but after calling talktalk they keep doing stupid line tests and my connection keeps going off even know I've not actuality been told by anyone these tests will get done as I get cut off every time.

I've tried to get in contact with the enigneer from today asking for more informaion or a number or anything but nothing yet.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-May-13 19:07:57
Print Post

hmmm do they work on saturdays?

Oh yes.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-May-13 19:16:46
Print Post

The dis D doesn't actually mean the FTTC stuff will be connected. You have to get an amenable engineer. The engineer will be unable to get the FTTC install 'pinned' to themselves (trust me). So no obligation to do this.

Could be also that the contractor hadn't got the set up right in the house, or maybe a faulty port, sync in the cab, but not under load, needs a lift and shift, lots of options. Still bank on the contractor being a plonker.
but of course it does still leave him worrying about whether any further action is going to be taken or not.

Yes, you have to hope the contractor has done the right thing with the unfinished task. Good job the OP has a top ISP fighting his corner ! frown

Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 19:51:22
Print Post

The dis D doesn't actually mean the FTTC stuff will be connected. You have to get an amenable engineer. The engineer will be unable to get the FTTC install 'pinned' to themselves (trust me). So no obligation to do this.

Could be also that the contractor hadn't got the set up right in the house, or maybe a faulty port, sync in the cab, but not under load, needs a lift and shift, lots of options. Still bank on the contractor being a plonker.
but of course it does still leave him worrying about whether any further action is going to be taken or not.

Yes, you have to hope the contractor has done the right thing with the unfinished task. Good job the OP has a top ISP fighting his corner ! frown

Finally managed to get a fault logged with TT but still have to wait 24 hours before I can even arrange an engineer, the engineer sent me a message with openreach number and ref but they only open mon Ė fri :/
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 19:59:20
Print Post

Spoke to soon

"Your reported problem is now resolved. Please reply to the latest text message from us on your mobile phone"

this is a joke.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-May-13 20:10:36
Print Post

Oh dear. Good luck, keep us posted.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 31-May-13 20:13:13
Print Post

Perhaps as you've received a message from the engineer this means that things are in hand, even if you have to wait until Monday to phone them.

Although I'd recommend a move to Plus Net, they have UK call centre staff and a great forum with very helpful support staff on it.

Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 20:26:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Perhaps as you've received a message from the engineer this means that things are in hand, even if you have to wait until Monday to phone them.

Although I'd recommend a move to Plus Net, they have UK call centre staff and a great forum with very helpful support staff on it.

I would be that means an extra £50 + 2-3 weeks waiting for my service to be set up.
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Fri 31-May-13 22:46:55
Print Post

hmmmm just checked my TT account now seems they didn't add fiber to my account could this have casued the issue?

Package name:Essentials with Fibre
Download allowance: Unlimited*

An hour ago it just said: Essentials
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Sat 01-Jun-13 19:37:52
Print Post

Update: Openreach engineer to attend tomorrow on a Sunday that's a first smile
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jun-13 20:51:31
Print Post

Update: Openreach engineer to attend tomorrow on a Sunday that's a first

No appointments Sunday. Guess you have been given the date for the 'required by' fault.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 01-Jun-13 21:29:30
Print Post

I have had a sunday engineer before. But it wasnt planned for that day and was for a voice fault. (fault was reported on the friday just 2 days before).

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jun-13 22:02:25
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Yes, they work Sundays, but there are no appointed faults.

Standard User ashmo
(learned) Sat 01-Jun-13 22:39:07
Print Post

No appointments Sunday. Guess you have been given the date for the 'required by' fault.

This was from the UK networks team she said we will send a BT open reach egnineer and "we actually have weekend slots available" and I've been booked for the 8 - 1 slot
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 01-Jun-13 23:41:01
Print Post

OK .... I'll not argue. Hope they fix it.

Standard User ashmo
(learned) Sun 02-Jun-13 09:48:39
Print Post

OK .... I'll not argue. Hope they fix it.

He just been and everything working good, first speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2747118197.png

He said I he was getting 70mb download and 20mb upload when using his machine will have to do some further testing
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Sun 02-Jun-13 10:12:53
Print Post

But they do visit though. I was given a Saturday appointment a couple of months ago and the engineer came round Sunday morning.

---
Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Jun-13 10:37:41
Print Post

A BT Wholesale Speedtest, with the "Further Diagnostics" helps - the IP Profile value (downstream) will be 3% lower than the sync speed. That's the starting point...
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Sun 02-Jun-13 10:44:05
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Engineer test was bang on 700000k download and 200000k upload

Via Wireless (Excellent signal)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2747118197.png

Via cat5e (via router)
http://www.speedtest.net/result/2747176031.png

BT Estimate was 54.7 Download and 15.7mb upload

More confusion

BT Wholesale Broadband Performance Test

Download 73.29
Upload 13.86

Edited by ashmo (Sun 02-Jun-13 10:48:36)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Jun-13 10:53:02
Print Post

More confusion

Download 73.29
Upload 13.86

It isn't the speed that's important - it is the IP profile value, at least the downstream one. Upstream will be set to you package maximum - which is bound to be 20Mbps.

Speed tests alone just tell you something is going slow somewhere, but they rarely help you identify where the problem lies - and so add to the confusion, rather than help solve it.
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Sun 02-Jun-13 11:01:08
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
More confusion

Download 73.29
Upload 13.86

It isn't the speed that's important - it is the IP profile value, at least the downstream one. Upstream will be set to you package maximum - which is bound to be 20Mbps.

Speed tests alone just tell you something is going slow somewhere, but they rarely help you identify where the problem lies - and so add to the confusion, rather than help solve it.

hmmmm is it normal to have that much of a different between wired and wireless thus the wired test was over a 25m cat5e and wireless over n with excellent signal
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 02-Jun-13 11:26:31
Print Post

Don't think so! No way can current VDSL technology deliver those speeds - 700/200 Mbps !

FTTP could though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Edited by MHC (Sun 02-Jun-13 12:18:29)

Standard User ashmo
(learned) Sun 02-Jun-13 11:47:33
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

kb then ha
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 02-Jun-13 12:16:28
Print Post

still as bad.

M H C

Standard User ashmo
(learned) Sun 02-Jun-13 12:34:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
still as bad.

What do you mean?
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Sun 02-Jun-13 12:49:27
Print Post

700 000 k & 200 000 k assuming you mean kb ... and using 1000 to convert from kb to Mb

gives 700 M and 200 M

M H C

Standard User ashmo
(learned) Sun 02-Jun-13 13:01:02
Print Post

70mb download 20up then
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jun-13 13:11:53
Print Post

The poster is another one that is on TT - see the speed test.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 02-Jun-13 13:16:29
Print Post

hmmmm is it normal to have that much of a different between wired and wireless thus the wired test was over a 25m cat5e and wireless over n with excellent signal
Check what speed your wireless link actually is. Easiest way is probably right-click on the signal strength in your System Tray, select Network and Sharing Center, and click on it there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Jun-13 14:08:35
Print Post

Try the speed test on here, I find it works well lately.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

Register and it will even store your results.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 02-Jun-13 14:11:44
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Right - didn't realise (until the other thread) that you can't see the extra diagnostics from a TT line.

In hindsight, that makes sense, but it means that TT subscribers are even more in the dark than WBC-based subscribers.

Same with Sky, I guess.
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Sun 02-Jun-13 14:28:07
Print Post

Wireless connected via N I even changed the router settings to N only 84% signal strength and connected at 160mbps still always under 50mb download so I've installed the 25m cat5e now so will keep that
Standard User timl
(member) Sun 02-Jun-13 14:53:22
Print Post

I think Sky FTTC customers have the stats on there fiber router... so much better than Talktalk.

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User ryant704
(member) Sun 02-Jun-13 15:50:43
Print Post

[re: timl] [link to this post]

You can see the sync speed with the HG533 from TalkTalk.
Standard User ashmo
(learned) Sun 02-Jun-13 16:35:04
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ryant704:
You can see the sync speed with the HG533 from TalkTalk.

Any idea where this is been in every setting on the router can't see anything.

Funny thing is with speedtest.net I get 54mb download

Downloading from microsoft servers I get 9.5 MB/s which is at the top of 76mb?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to