General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jun-13 10:27:16
Print Post

Re: HG612 Firmware

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

I'm using the latest firmware without problem's, it may even be responsible for my connection going back on fast path - no inter leaving.

Flashing is pretty straight forward really, just follow the instructions. If using a laptop turn wifi off first, to save any possible problems.

Standard User Alexir
(regular) Thu 13-Jun-13 10:51:25
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
If using a laptop turn wifi off first, to save any possible problems.

Ta, that's the sort of thing I would have forgotten. To save any schoolboy errors could you link to the firmware version you're using (I save a local copy then upload that I believe)

BTW what does "Configure the ethernet NIC of your PC with IP address 192.168.1.100." mean? Is this necessary, I sometimes connect direct to the modem via ethernet when I don't need the router and I don't need to configure anything to get internet access

Edited by Alexir (Thu 13-Jun-13 13:17:27)

Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Thu 13-Jun-13 13:20:05
Print Post

I'm using the one BatBoy referenced in post 2 and it's working fine.
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B6wW18mYskvBNWZLWV...

If you are updating firmware rather than unlocking for the first time, you still need to go through the full reset/power on process.
There is an Update Firmware button in the Maintenance section of the modem page, but if you use it it goes through the motions but doesn't actually update the firmware.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jun-13 13:32:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alexir:
In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
If using a laptop turn wifi off first, to save any possible problems.

Ta, that's the sort of thing I would have forgotten. To save any schoolboy errors could you link to the firmware version you're using (I save a local copy then upload that I believe)

BTW what does "Configure the ethernet NIC of your PC with IP address 192.168.1.100." mean? Is this necessary, I sometimes connect direct to the modem via ethernet when I don't need the router and I don't need to configure anything to get internet access

I'm using the one from here.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4229257-any...

You may also find this thread useful

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4216317-hua...

Normally your PC will be issued with an IP address by the router,, so you don't normally worry about.

But when you connect to something else on the network the first 3 numbers need to be the same, otherwise you won't see the item. So because the modems IP adress is already set you need to make your PC match that preset range. Once you've unlocked the modem you can change it's IP address to match your network.

As to how to set it, just google how to set an IP address for your operating system.

Standard User Alexir
(regular) Thu 13-Jun-13 15:15:53
Print Post

Thanks, I didn't really understand the NIC IP stuff but I found this http://linuxsat-support.com/routers/20981-how-unlock... and followed it and everything else worked so I am now unlocked! The stats & graphing thread looks pretty complicated, I'll take another look when I have more time.

I have a question about cabling, the notes say: "Different cable configurations can be selected through the web interface."

Does this mean I could get internet access via LAN2 at the same time as LAN1? Eg LAN1 goes to the router for general internet distribution, LAN2 simultaneously goes direct to the laptop so I can see the modem admin page when necessary and get internet access via this connection?
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jun-13 15:38:01
Print Post

No, you can't get internet access through lan2.

I changed the modms IP to match my network, then lan 1 goes to your wan port and lan 2 goes to any other port on your router, then you can access the stats/admin page from any computer on your network.

Edited by R0NSKI (Thu 13-Jun-13 15:40:54)

Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Thu 13-Jun-13 16:24:14
Print Post

unlocking the hg612 when used with bt hub 3 is actually very easy since the default addresses just play nicely.
just add a second connection from hub to hg612 lan2

you don't need to allocate the fixed address on your computer, since it will already have a 192.168.1.xyz address, and the modem admin 192.168.1.1 is on the local subnet.

then follow all the instructions except cabling, and fixed addresses
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to