General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User snowy44
(newbie) Fri 07-Jun-13 11:30:35
Print Post

HG612 Firmware

[link to this post]

Hello,

I am currently using the unlocked SP10 firmware on my HG612 modem. I have read on these forums that people have said that there is new firmware out for this modem?

I would be grateful if someone could please advise where I can find a link for this.

Thanks,
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 07-Jun-13 12:01:30
Print Post

Re: HG612 Firmware

[re: snowy44] [link to this post]

Same place http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/

[4] https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B6wW18mYskvBNWZLWV...

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________

Edited by BatBoy (Fri 07-Jun-13 12:02:07)

Standard User snowy44
(newbie) Fri 07-Jun-13 12:20:56
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
Same place http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/

[4] https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B6wW18mYskvBNWZLWV...

Hi,
Thanks for the response,

I have tried to update the firmware and on the device information page I am getting the same information as before updating. Does this meant that it did not complete properly or do I need to look elsewhere for the current firmware that is installed?

Product type EchoLife HG612
Hardware version VER.B
Software version V100R001C01B028SP10
Firmware version A2pv6C030b.d22g
System up time 0 days 0 hours 4 minutes 37 seconds

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 07-Jun-13 12:29:36
Print Post

Did you try the upgrade using the webpage GUI upgrade option, or using the same reset procedure as for a locked modem?

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User snowy44
(newbie) Fri 07-Jun-13 12:31:52
Print Post

Hi,

Yes I tried this through the GUI. Is it best to perform the upgrade as if the modem was locked?
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 07-Jun-13 12:35:13
Print Post

Apparently, that's what you have to do.

burakkucat says:
March 27, 2013 at 7:44 pm

I have now attempted the GUI based ‘Firmware Upgrade’ option, twice. In both cases it appeared to occur correctly but upon device reboot the firmware was still shown as the A2pv6C030b.d22g version. frown

My next experiment was to use the ‘Firmware Upgrade’ process as if the device was being unlocked. This was successful. I now see the firmware showing as the A2pv6C035m.d22g version. smile

Standard User snowy44
(newbie) Fri 07-Jun-13 13:13:15
Print Post

Hi,
Thanks for this its now upgraded. The reason I wanted to try the upgrade is that since I bought the Belkin High-Speed Internet Modem Cable RJ11 To RJ11 15ft the attainable downstream speeds have dropped by around 5mb, although the cable does not seem to impact on the throughput speeds that I am receiving. I am just wondering if anyone on here is also using that cable and if they noticed a drop in attainable speeds?

Thanks
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 07-Jun-13 13:17:26
Print Post

I used one on ADSL but it seemed to make the connection worse.

Standard User ryant704
(member) Fri 07-Jun-13 13:29:15
Print Post

I didn't try and update via the webpage, I re-flashed the whole modem and done it like you did originally.
Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 07-Jun-13 13:29:18
Print Post

Ironically I was playing around with a variety of RJ11 cables yesterday and a fairly short shielded RJ45 CAT6 (around 0.5m) which plugs into the VDSL faceplate port and I then plug the other end into an RJ45 to RJ11 converter (about 0.1m of extra wire to the RJ11 port on the HG612). The other RJ11 cables were the shortest one that ADSLNation sells, the supplied ECI one, the supplied HG612 one, and a fairly long (10m or so) shielded 'high speed' cable that I got from eBay a while back. Out of all the cables I couldn't believe the results but the supplied HG612 performed the best attainable rates.

The testing was done at the same time of day, about 4-5 minutes per cable test. DLM doesn't effect me so I was able to do this without any intervention of interleaving or additional speed banding.

P.S. If people would like me to do some other tests that they couldn't otherwise easily do on their own FTTC connection due to the worry of DLM then let me know. I took out the surge arrester in my faceplate and it gave me a slight boost in attainable rate too.
Standard User StephenTodd
(experienced) Fri 07-Jun-13 15:33:43
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

Thanks for the details on installing the new firmware. I had installed mine wrong and not noticed it was wrong.
Replacement HG622 has just arrived: I'm in a quandry now whether to test the new firmware on the 612 first, or test out the 622. I think I'll go for the 622 though.

Any hints on how to make such tests with minimum disruption to DLM are welcome.

@Ixel: You say DLM doesn't effect me. What service do you have? I thought DLM affected all FTTC connections, and it was just the IP/BRAS profile setup that differed between suppliers.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Fri 07-Jun-13 15:34:52)

Standard User ryant704
(member) Fri 07-Jun-13 15:55:34
Print Post

[re: StephenTodd] [link to this post]

I will my experience when swapping modems and what has been the best for me...

If you power up the HG612 ready and just swap the DSL cable over this always reduces my speed by 2/3Mbps. Though if you power them up then turn the current modem off at the wall then swap the DSL cable over I don't get a speedloss the sync is within 0.1/0.2 as the previous sync. (Note SNR was the same at the time of all swaps)
Standard User Ixel
(member) Fri 07-Jun-13 16:07:51
Print Post

The reason DLM doesn't have an effect on me isn't completely clear, only theories. But it dates back to the time last year where I was fiddling around with limiting the maximum sync rate on the Fritz!Box 7390, eventually (weeks) it caused DLM to remove all interleaving in one go but it kept my speed banded at 60Mbps down and but thankfully kept the full 20Mbps up. I'm on an 80/20 FTTC service with BT Business. So, yes, DLM would normally be an issue, but I somehow stopped it working on my line altogether. I don't mind losing 20 megabits on the downstream at a bonus of having no DLM activity and no interleaving (lowest possible ping) smile.
(experienced) Fri 07-Jun-13 17:42:50
Print Post

[re: Ixel] [link to this post]

@Ixel: Most peculiar!

@ryant: Thanks for the suggestion. I had heard it (probably on this forum), with a suggestion that the power down sent a 'last gasp' signal to the cabinet that allowed DLM to distinguish it from any faults. I'm not 100% sure it works; it may be that DLM stores up the fact of change; but only applies the lower speed overnight?

It's a shame the firmware doesn't have a clean 'disconnect' option. I think I'm going to give one modem an 192.168.1.2 address to make switching and experimenting easier.

--
Moved (with trepidation turned relief) to BT Infinity 2 for upload speed. Happy BE user for several years.

Edited by StephenTodd (Fri 07-Jun-13 17:49:38)

(experienced) Fri 07-Jun-13 18:20:00
Print Post

Part 1 of my experiment done, switched to new firmware.
Slight improvement in sync speed; due to slightly reduced FEC overhead.

Text
.                   old firmware                  new firmware
                Down            Up              Down            Upmax:            81348          21752            81099          21662
path:           68816          20000            70147          20000SNR (dB):        6.3             7.0             6.0             7.1
                                          R:              16              16              12              16
N:              80              254             64              254I:              80              127             64              127
                                          INP:            3.00            0.00            3.00            0.00
D:              1091            1               1373            1delay:          8.00            0.00            8.00            0.00

--
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Jun-13 19:08:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by StephenTodd:
the power down sent a 'last gasp' signal to the cabinet that allowed DLM to distinguish it from any faults. I'm not 100% sure it works; it may be that DLM stores up the fact of change; but only applies the lower speed overnight?

DLM always applies its changes overnight. Perhaps, if things were *really* dire, it would intervene sooner, but every change I've ever seen has been between 2AM and 7AM.

The dying gasp signal is a bit to be set in the framing parameters sent out by the modem, and is definitely defined within the VDSL2 specification. You can't be sure that a modem's chipset actually supports it, and you can't be sure that the DLM algorithm pays attention to it.

However, I tend to trust that it works, so always choose to power down the modem in preference to anything else - and especially to just unplugging the DSL cable. I haven't yet triggered anything bad in doing so, no matter how careful or otherwise I am being.
(experienced) Fri 07-Jun-13 19:28:48
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

Thanks for that confirmation, WWWombat.

I have just broken VDSL connection three times, being careful to power down each time first.
* to replace firmware in HG612
* to replace HG612 with HG622
* to replace HG622 with HG612

I'll see where that leaves my sync speed in the morning.

~~~
For some reason the HG622 has not been a success for me.
asbokid couldn't have been more helpful and understanding,
but there is something about my line or the way that I configured it that two different HG622's haven't liked.
Hence the quick swap in and out.

--
Standard User ryant704
(member) Fri 07-Jun-13 20:24:45
Print Post

It could be the case WWWombat but I've always put it down to the SES/UAS errors that it creates when disconnecting the DSL cable. Then the errors are reported to the DLM when re-synced and it sees it as a high number so reduces speed but that's the only reasoning I can think of but whether it actually sends the errors when it wasn't currently synced.
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Jun-13 20:32:16
Print Post

In reply to a post by WWWombat:
DLM always applies its changes overnight. Perhaps, if things were *really* dire, it would intervene sooner, but every change I've ever seen has been between 2AM and 7AM.

Not always, I've seen some at various times of the day, these are the recent ones since we've had the resync log.

15/03/2013 19:10 - RESYNC detected (DS 44694 Kbps, US 11283 Kbps) since the previous ongoing data harvest (DS 41376 Kbps, US 10850 Kbps)
17/04/2013 05:56 - RESYNC detected (DS 42588 Kbps, US 10461 Kbps) since the previous ongoing data harvest (DS 44694 Kbps, US 11283 Kbps)
01/05/2013 06:00 - RESYNC detected (DS 43677 Kbps, US 10551 Kbps) since the previous ongoing data harvest (DS 42340 Kbps, US 10212 Kbps)
01/05/2013 06:57 - RESYNC detected (DS 43622 Kbps, US 10715 Kbps) since the previous ongoing data harvest (DS 43677 Kbps, US 10551 Kbps)
06/05/2013 06:27 - RESYNC detected (DS 47197 Kbps, US 10014 Kbps) since the previous ongoing data harvest (DS 43622 Kbps, US 10715 Kbps)
06/05/2013 23:08 - RESYNC detected (DS 47007 Kbps, US 10641 Kbps) since the previous ongoing data harvest (DS 47197 Kbps, US 10014 Kbps)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Jun-13 22:11:55
Print Post

[re: ryant704] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ryant704:
but I've always put it down to

What is the "it" you have put down to?

DLM intervention after something in particular?

Of course, a power-down of the modem means there aren't any counters for it to report back to the DSLAM when it resyncs, on top of the fact it reported the loss of power on its way down.

I know SES and UAS become apparent when the errors get so bad that the line can't be sustained (An SES occurs when there are > 18 faults within 1 ES. A UAS starts when there is either no sync, or 10 consecutive SES seconds occur). So perhaps these play a part in the DSLAM counting "unexplained resyncs" in a 24 hour period.

However, I think DLM still mostly works on the average CRC count over 24 hours.
Standard User ryant704
(member) Fri 07-Jun-13 23:37:51
Print Post

Imagine when the DSL cable is unplugged, this will create UAS/SES errors and the modem will record them. Once the cable is plugged back in it will send these errors back (Not sure if it does, this is what I believe it does) to the DLM and see that it had a rather long period where it couldn't communicate with the modem and decides to reduce the speed to try and improve stability.

That is my experience and the reason I put it down to it but whether it will report the SES/UAS back to the DLM is another matter all together!

Sorry if you find it difficult to understand smile
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 07-Jun-13 23:55:50
Print Post

You're saying the "it" is "DLM decides to reduce the speed to try and improve stability due to the UAS/SES errors" ?

Standard User ryant704
(member) Sat 08-Jun-13 01:39:53
Print Post

Yes, but the UAS/SES are obtained when the DSL cable is unplugged. I'm not saying it does but is the only really real reason I can think of as the SNR was at 6.2.

I'm not saying it is that but it's what I personally believe and have worked out from my experiences.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jun-13 01:41:45
Print Post

Sorry if you find it difficult to understand

I understand everything you wrote (in the post I'm replying to).

What I didn't originally understand was the "it" that represents the consequences of the link being unplugged, and the counters sent back. But I guess you are talking about DLM making an intervention.

send these errors back [...] to the DLM and see that it had a rather long period where it couldn't communicate with the modem

I can't tell you for sure what DLM makes use of to choose when to intervene, but I can be pretty sure that it *isn't* the UAS value.

If you just leave the modem disconnected from the phone line, but powered up, the UAS counter will be constantly increasing. Why should that circumstance be a thing that DLM cares about? DLM can only intervene by defining the end result of the sync - it can't do anything to make a sync happen, and certainly can't make any change whatsoever if there is no physical path.

To me, it just doesn't make sense to have DLM intervene because of a physical disconnection.

this will create UAS/SES errors and the modem will record them

SES could be a factor in the decision-making, but SES shouldn't be incrementing in the circumstances you describe. When the UAS counter is active, SES should be inhibited anyway... not least because the modem can't be performing CRC checks on a line that isn't in sync.

And remember that UAS, SES and ES aren't "errors" as such. They are "seconds" during which certain events or states were seen.

but whether it will report the SES/UAS back to the DLM is another matter all together

The specification for what gets sent back is included in spec G.997.1, where all the parameters that get sent from modem back to the DSLAM tend to be named something-XFE (for example, UAS-LFE, ES-LFE, SES-LFE, CRC-PFE).

DLM then gets the values from the DSLAM.

Interestingly, the BT SIN that regulates the VDSL2 modems has a definition for the minimum parameters that must be correctly sent back to the [email protected] Take a look at the SIN document, requirement "R.VDSL2.17".

The SIN includes FECS-LFE, ES-LFE, SES-LFE, so you can probably assume that these could well be used by DLM. However, it doesn't include UAS-LFE or CRC-PFE - so these almost certainly aren't included in the DLM calculation!

That last one is a surprise to me, certainly!
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jun-13 01:48:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by ryant704:
is the only really real reason I can think of as the SNR was at 6.2.

I'm not sure what you are saying there.

Are you suggesting that certain SNR values or ranges trigger DLM intervention?
Standard User ryant704
(member) Sat 08-Jun-13 01:59:17
Print Post

It's not really a secret, if you do reset the modem when the SNR is lower than target (6) you are more likely to lose speed. The same applies when the SNR is higher it will increase the speed if it's above target. Of course that is very basic and I know there is more to take into account but on very basic terms this will more than happen 99% of the time (100% in my case and experience for my line).

Edited by ryant704 (Sat 08-Jun-13 02:00:42)

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jun-13 02:16:50
Print Post

But a resync that happens because of a low SNRM is just that - a resync. Yes, it will adjust the speed as you say, but by relatively small amounts, and in proportion to the difference from the target SNRM.

That kind of resync does NOT alter the FEC or interleaving settings, and doesn't band the speeds.

A low SNRM triggering a resync like this is NOT triggering a DLM intervention. That is a different thing.

When DLM does intervene, it will turn on FEC and interleaving, by specifying new settings, or by adjusting those settings. It might also set speed bands (with minimum and maximum speeds).

All of those settings, once in place, will indeed affect the sync speed too, but they are usually considerably bigger changes in speed than that seen during a simple resync.

When DLM has chosen to intervene, and has set the new settings, it causes the changes to take effect by triggering a resync... but this is one that is enforced merely so that the new parameters are used during the new sync.

Edit:
You have unlocked the modem, so use the "xdslcmd info --show" command to view the settings.

The "INP" and "delay" values are the primary parameters set by a DLM intervention. Those wouldn't change over a normal resync.

From those 2 parameters, the modem chooses "R", "I", "D" and "N" parameters during the sync, which are the detailed FEC and interleaving parameters. Those don't normally change during a plain resync either, but they are a little more flexible.

If you aren't seeing a change in these 6 values, then you have a plain resync.

However... note that we discovered that changing the HG612 firmware can result in a sync with different R, I, D and N values for the same INP and delay values. The firmware is definitely making different choices.

Edited by WWWombat (Sat 08-Jun-13 02:25:25)

(experienced) Sat 08-Jun-13 10:47:01
Print Post

Just checking my understanding, and missing bits, and maybe a useful key for others who part understand ...

FEC - forward error correction ~ number of corrected errors == RSCorr
CRC - cyclic redundancy check ~ number of uncorrected errors == OHFErr
ES - errored seconds ~ number of seconds that included any uncorrected errors
SES - severe errored seconds ~ number of seconds that included >18 uncorrected errors
UAS - unavailable seconds ~ number of seconds during which the link was effectively unavailable
LOS - ???
LOF - ???
FECS - forward error correction seconds ~ number of seconds with corrected errors ~ does this appear in modem stats?

LFE - line far end
PFE - ???

RSUnCorr - ??? also the number of uncorrected errors, but measured in a different way from CRC or a different kind of error ???

~~~
Also, does what you said above imply that the FEC/RSCorr rate is not used as part of the DLM calculation?

--
(experienced) Sat 08-Jun-13 10:49:46
Print Post

Just to confirm that three broken modem connections yesterday fairly close together, all done by unplugging the modem first, did not cause DLM to do anything nasty to my sync either immediately or overnight.

--
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Jun-13 11:33:28
Print Post

Loss of Frame
Loss of Signal
Path Far End
"The SIN includes FECS-LFE" implies FEC/RSCorr rate is used.

Edited by BatBoy (Sat 08-Jun-13 11:36:02)

Standard User NormanB
(experienced) Sat 08-Jun-13 12:10:16
Print Post

Loss of Sync not Signal?

plusnet -> entanet -> Andrews & Arnold -> BE -> plusnet Fibre
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Jun-13 12:13:33
Print Post

[re: NormanB] [link to this post]

No I think it's loss of signal, obviously you will lose sync though so it's the same thing wink

Edited by BatBoy (Sat 08-Jun-13 12:16:04)

Standard User ryant704
(member) Sat 08-Jun-13 12:16:09
Print Post

[re: NormanB] [link to this post]

It is Loss of Signal and not Loss of Sync. smile
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jun-13 12:17:14
Print Post

LOS - loss of signal
LOF - loss of framing

These occur when the modem doesn't detect the appropriate bits in the inbound data stream, though I'm not sure exactly which bits these are right now. Certainly it is more to do with the control data that surrounds the blocks of user data, rather than problems in the user data itself.

RSUnCorr is the count of the RS blocks that have uncorrectable errors, which is subtly different from the number of errors themselves. An RS block is the smallest unit that the FEC process works on, and has size "N" (in the modem stats).

RSCorr is therefore the number of RS blocks that had correctable errors.

RS is just the count of RS blocks.

OHFErr is a count of the number of X blocks or frames (can't remember the name of X) where CRC checks fail, but these are considerably larger than the RS blocks (variable, but perhaps up to 100x). A single RS block that is Uncorr is always enough to cause an OHF frame to count an error, but there can be multiple faulty RS blocks within the same OHF frame. Therefore OHFErr is always <= RSUncorr.

PFE = Path Far End (CRC is calculated per path)

FECS - correct, but I've never seen it either.

Your ES, SES, and UAS description are correct (strictly it is a CRC error that triggers these, but an uncorrected RS error always leads to a CRC error), but not quite complete. The counts also increment if LOS and LOF happen, but they're not so important in the grand scheme of things.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 08-Jun-13 12:23:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:
"The SIN includes FECS-LFE" implies FEC/RSCorr rate is used.

Indeed - but perhaps it is used more in the decision whether to reduce intervention, rather than when to add to it.
(experienced) Sat 08-Jun-13 13:16:29
Print Post

Thanks everyone for the very helpful replies.

FECS is clearly closely related to FEC, but not quite the same. Does FECS appear in the modem stats?

Is it effectively the same as ES? Whoops, I can see it isn't as FECS relates to corrected errors and ES uncorrected errors.

--

Edited by StephenTodd (Sat 08-Jun-13 13:20:14)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 08-Jun-13 13:19:19
Print Post

FECS are for corrected errors.
ES are for uncorrected errors.

Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sat 08-Jun-13 15:58:16
Print Post

is it FEC second count?

Forward Error Correction Seconds.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
(experienced) Sat 08-Jun-13 16:00:48
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

Yes, I we think that FECS is FEC second count as you say.
But the modem doesn't seem to report that as part of its statistics (eg from xdslcmd info --stats).

--
Standard User Alexir
(regular) Thu 13-Jun-13 10:12:49
Print Post

Finally getting round to unlocking the HG612 and and wondering if there is a preferred firmware to upload? This is my shipped version http://goo.gl/xAPJf If there are different unlocked versions I'd rather go for the most stable one, I'm not looking for bells and whistles, just an unlocked modem with basic stats. I am slightly nervous about bricking it, hopefully Asbokid's directions are foolproof but if anyone wants to offer any further unlocking tips feel free to throw them at me - if you think you're advice will be too obvious, don't worry it won't be!
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jun-13 10:27:16
Print Post

[re: Alexir] [link to this post]

I'm using the latest firmware without problem's, it may even be responsible for my connection going back on fast path - no inter leaving.

Flashing is pretty straight forward really, just follow the instructions. If using a laptop turn wifi off first, to save any possible problems.

Standard User Alexir
(regular) Thu 13-Jun-13 10:51:25
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
If using a laptop turn wifi off first, to save any possible problems.

Ta, that's the sort of thing I would have forgotten. To save any schoolboy errors could you link to the firmware version you're using (I save a local copy then upload that I believe)

BTW what does "Configure the ethernet NIC of your PC with IP address 192.168.1.100." mean? Is this necessary, I sometimes connect direct to the modem via ethernet when I don't need the router and I don't need to configure anything to get internet access

Edited by Alexir (Thu 13-Jun-13 13:17:27)

(experienced) Thu 13-Jun-13 13:20:05
Print Post

I'm using the one BatBoy referenced in post 2 and it's working fine.
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B6wW18mYskvBNWZLWV...

If you are updating firmware rather than unlocking for the first time, you still need to go through the full reset/power on process.
There is an Update Firmware button in the Maintenance section of the modem page, but if you use it it goes through the motions but doesn't actually update the firmware.

--
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jun-13 13:32:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by Alexir:
In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
If using a laptop turn wifi off first, to save any possible problems.

Ta, that's the sort of thing I would have forgotten. To save any schoolboy errors could you link to the firmware version you're using (I save a local copy then upload that I believe)

BTW what does "Configure the ethernet NIC of your PC with IP address 192.168.1.100." mean? Is this necessary, I sometimes connect direct to the modem via ethernet when I don't need the router and I don't need to configure anything to get internet access

I'm using the one from here.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4229257-any...

You may also find this thread useful

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/f/4216317-hua...

Normally your PC will be issued with an IP address by the router,, so you don't normally worry about.

But when you connect to something else on the network the first 3 numbers need to be the same, otherwise you won't see the item. So because the modems IP adress is already set you need to make your PC match that preset range. Once you've unlocked the modem you can change it's IP address to match your network.

As to how to set it, just google how to set an IP address for your operating system.

Standard User Alexir
(regular) Thu 13-Jun-13 15:15:53
Print Post

Thanks, I didn't really understand the NIC IP stuff but I found this http://linuxsat-support.com/routers/20981-how-unlock... and followed it and everything else worked so I am now unlocked! The stats & graphing thread looks pretty complicated, I'll take another look when I have more time.

I have a question about cabling, the notes say: "Different cable configurations can be selected through the web interface."

Does this mean I could get internet access via LAN2 at the same time as LAN1? Eg LAN1 goes to the router for general internet distribution, LAN2 simultaneously goes direct to the laptop so I can see the modem admin page when necessary and get internet access via this connection?
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 13-Jun-13 15:38:01
Print Post

No, you can't get internet access through lan2.

I changed the modms IP to match my network, then lan 1 goes to your wan port and lan 2 goes to any other port on your router, then you can access the stats/admin page from any computer on your network.

Edited by R0NSKI (Thu 13-Jun-13 15:40:54)

Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Thu 13-Jun-13 16:24:14
Print Post

unlocking the hg612 when used with bt hub 3 is actually very easy since the default addresses just play nicely.
just add a second connection from hub to hg612 lan2

you don't need to allocate the fixed address on your computer, since it will already have a 192.168.1.xyz address, and the modem admin 192.168.1.1 is on the local subnet.

then follow all the instructions except cabling, and fixed addresses
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to