General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User nicomorr
(newbie) Sat 06-Jul-13 11:33:01
Print Post

Where is my nearest fibre cabinet?

[link to this post]

I luve in Wandsworth, London.

My post code is SW18 3RG & I am thinking of ordering fibre to the cabinet FTTC.

How do I find where my nearest fibre-enabled cabinet is?

I have cabinet 40 really near me but do not know if it is fibre-enabled?

Google Map: http://goo.gl/maps/8Ibpn

Thank you in advance,
Nico Morrison
Standard User charles1
(learned) Sat 06-Jul-13 12:41:15
Print Post

Re: Where is my nearest fibre cabinet?

[re: nicomorr] [link to this post]

Wandsworth Cab 40 is enabled for FTTC

Use this checker (phone number or address) to see the estimated speed: BT Wholesale Checker

---------------------------------------------------------------
Andrews & Arnold BTW ADSL2+
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Jul-13 12:43:09
Print Post

Some addresses in that postcode appear to be exchange only others appear to be on cab 40 and getting near full speed estimates.

I suggest putting your phone number in the checker if your not LLU (IE Sky or TT) and see what it says.

If it does not recognise your number try the address checker

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ukhardy07
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Jul-13 15:00:34
Print Post

If you are exchange only it means no fibre to the cabinet Internet for you when enabled so worth checking the post code checker etc posted by the above poster.

Edited by ukhardy07 (Sat 06-Jul-13 15:01:16)

Standard User nicomorr
(newbie) Sun 07-Jul-13 07:07:04
Print Post

[re: charles1] [link to this post]

Thank you all, I am praying that Wandsworth Cabinet 40, which is less than 200m (including wiggles & going up two floors) from my flat, will be the one when the connection is upgraded this Wednesday. My line is not BT & does not show up in the availability checker, but if I put in a local shop line (100m from me) I get good news!

Telephone Number 0208874**** on Exchange WANDSWORTH is served by Cabinet 40
Featured Products
WBC FTTC Up to 75.5 Up to 20 -- Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 8 -- 5.5 to 12.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 8 Up to 1 5.5 to 12.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 5.5 -- 4.5 to 8 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast -- -- -- Available

Now I just have to hope that Talktalk deliver the router before the engineer arrives.

This is a great forum, thank you again.

Nico M
London UK
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 07-Jul-13 08:59:23
Print Post

Now I just have to hope that Talktalk deliver the router before the engineer arrives.

If it's an Openreach installer who visits, then they should be carrying a spare. Depends on what type of task Talk talk have raised, if it has a managed install module on it, if so, they should be happy to leave one with you if yours hasn't arrived.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Jul-13 09:43:06
Print Post

Did you try the address checker that I posted?

Could you try it, enter your postcode, then submit and select your address.

It should say you are on a cabinet as you have managed to order.

Could you post what it says.

If it doesn't say a cabinet number and you're installation goes ok then it will mean that no cabinet number doesn't always mean an exchange only line.

Standard User nicomorr
(newbie) Sun 07-Jul-13 11:46:23
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

When I put my post code into the BT checker it shows Cabinet 40 & as not being fibre-enabled; when I run the phone number checker it says I am not on a BT line.

When I put in the number of my local Londis (100 metres away) it shows cabinet 40 with FTTC, very nice.

Since TT are giving me fibre fast, I think I will get it from C40 as in this link: http://bit.ly/12OrgPA

Dunno what more I can research until the engineer arrives...

Nico M
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Jul-13 12:05:16
Print Post

Strange, I just tried all the flats in your postcode and they either gave an FFTC result on cab 40, or said:

Your address has been successfully matched; however we cannot determine ADSL availability at this address. Please try the Telephone Number or Postcode Checker.

Either way I wouldn't worry, the orders been accepted and your going to be getting a very good speed by the look of things.

Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 07-Jul-13 12:47:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by nicomorr:
When I put my post code into the BT checker it shows Cabinet 40 & as not being fibre-enabled;

Was that using the address checker (but using your postcode only, then selecting your address as an intermediate step), or the postcode checker?

The postcode checker has a tendency to miss out FTTC coverage, while the address checker seems to be more correct.
Standard User nicomorr
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-13 10:02:00
Print Post

Good news from routerland!

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Good news, my HG533 arrived this AM without any tracking reference in my TT account; so don't panic too much peoples, there is not an HG533 drought as I had privately been worrying about.

Wednesday activation & my (MY!) cabinet, which I photographed yesterday for posterity, the wonderful Wandsworth C40, looks like an old copper-wire cabinet but inside...

Hoping for at least 65MBps as I'm less than 200m from this dull inconspicuous green box.

Well done Talktalk, so far, both original ADSL install & now new fibre install, they have been 100% timely. Probably helps that I'm in London.

Reminds me of my first ADSL install in 1999, my little 'bedroom ISP', we had a leased line (64Kbps - £5000/year) & decided to try the new-fangled ADSL, turned out we were the first install in Wandsworth & the BT engineer came with five other BT engineers, he said this was his & their first install so they were all learning; when it sprung into life (after several phone calls to the exchange) we were all amazed, I think it was 128Kbps down, might have been 256Kbps but certainly no more than that; it constantly dropped & reconnected, we kept the leased line which doubled in speed the next year & went down to 'only' £3000/year or so.

Now I'm just one of the crowd at 65MBps+

Nico M
London UK
Standard User Ribble
(experienced) Mon 08-Jul-13 10:43:48
Print Post

Re: Good news from routerland!

There are 2 cabinets here , the one on the right is the copper cabinet, and the one further along to the left is the active FTTC cabinet with all the electronics in it.
I believe there will be another active cabinet later in the year to expansion
Standard User nicomorr
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-13 11:58:33
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Blimey! Off to check right away, I'm shopping in ASDA anyway, will photo heh (incipient blindness??) smile
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Mon 08-Jul-13 12:21:52
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Loads of smaller cabs in London I've noticed.

EDIT: Keeps the planning people happy due to conservation areas and pavement sizes.

Huawei 288s all over the place here. Think I've seen one single ECI in all my travels.

Edited by Ignitionnet (Mon 08-Jul-13 12:22:18)

Standard User nicomorr
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-13 14:39:12
Print Post

Cabinet camo!

@ribble is quite right, there are two cabinets; why did I not see the second on my many walks past?

Reason is the cabinet is camouflaged, really; the brick wall behind has been photographed & a print made & stuck all over the cab; it totally blends into the wall.

I think this is very clever of BT Openreach, after all these new cabs contain expensive high speed optical demultiplexers & much else besides probably; I'd love to see the inside.

You experts here, I have a question; the line from the cab to my house is using the old twisted pair that has been there since a phone was put in, certainly before I moved in 1995.

When I was running a bedroom ISP from my flat, I needed more lines & they ran a thick 16 pair cable from the cab to my flat; the termination box is still in my flat & I am wondering if I can get the Openreach engineer to change the feed to one of the newer pairs? In this case every db of signal to noise will affect performance & the old line is probably a bit wonky in terms of impedance & resistance to ground...

Here;s the camo cab:
http://bit.ly/12y8wVO

And its little notice:
http://bit.ly/18IaCcX

Regards,
NM
London

PS: Looks as if the Google street-view photo was taken before the camo was added??
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Jul-13 14:49:25
Print Post

Re: Cabinet camo!

Old copper lines can be as good as modern if its a twisted pair, in theory if during the install the existing pair is well dodgy they may change the drop wire.

The camouflage is not about protected from theft, but just keeping people happy where there have been objections to the cabinet.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nicomorr
(newbie) Mon 08-Jul-13 17:41:33
Print Post

Re: Cabinet camo - impresses me.

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thank you @MrSaffron,

Anyway I'll ask the engineer what he thinks about the copper routing.

I like the camocabs; it seems there are a few in my part of Wandsworth, this pic here the person says is on Wandsworth Common, must be round the back of my 'toastrack' the houses there backing on to the common go for £2,000,000+

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5745-do-you-have-...

Now my eyes have been opened I'm going to photograph all the ones I see.

Roll on activation...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 08-Jul-13 18:36:17
Print Post

The Openreach advert on it rather destroys the effect LOL.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 08-Jul-13 19:36:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The advert was due to come off but waiting for weather to warm up, when that picture was taken

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nicomorr
(newbie) Tue 09-Jul-13 10:42:39
Print Post

Cannot get on your main site.

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

UPDATE! Found my old email address link & have reset my password, sorry to bother you, all OK smile

Hi @MrSaffron I can not login to your main site as my username nicomorr is registered but with an email address that no longer exists. I have emailed you on this. Forgotten password also so stuck.

Could you either delete my existing main site account or reset so it works with my current email address as registered in these forums?

Once in your main site I can list my meters etc.

TIA smile

Nico Morrison
London UK
Manali India
http://radio.theflowerraj.org
http://theflowerraj.org

Edited by nicomorr (Tue 09-Jul-13 10:56:34)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to