General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Fri 02-Aug-13 07:43:32
Print Post

Re: Plusnet Fibre speed nightmare

[re: JM1301] [link to this post]

so this is a dsl hardware problem not fiber isp problem.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Aug-13 08:14:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by JM1301:
Even when I try and connect wirelessly with the computer next to the router it makes no difference whatsoever with the speeds.

You could buy "WiFi Explorer" from the Mac App Store, and capture a screen shot, and upload it to a free image site and post a link here.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/wifi-explorer/id4948...

(For the PC people, this is better than inSSIDer for Mac, and they're both about the same price).

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Speeds 49 / 8.2 Mbps - Sync 53 / 9.5 Mbps @ 470m
Huawei modem -> RT-N66U -> Switch -> PC/Mac/Linux/NAS/Phone/TV - last speedtest
13 years of broadband - 1999 ntl:(512k/1M)/BTbusiness(2M)/Metronet(2M)/Bulldog(8M/16M)/BE(19M/16M)/BT FTTC(46M)

Edited by jchamier (Fri 02-Aug-13 08:14:48)

Standard User JM1301
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 10:32:00
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Right I've downloaded WiFi explorer, here is a link to the screenshot I took http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/9419326877/

Thanks for your help smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User drsox
(member) Fri 02-Aug-13 12:16:32
Print Post

That is some congested and contented airspace right there. I'd move to 5ghz wireless but don't expect that to last long - the moment others start using that frequency the same problem of contention for the frequencies will start to appear.

Seriously, mixing WiFi and "Fibre broadband" is always going to produce far worse speeds than just using an ethernet cable.
This is totally an end user problem and Plusnet have no responsibility here.

Tom - www.mouselike.org

Edited by drsox (Fri 02-Aug-13 12:17:47)

Standard User mikecrawford80
(member) Fri 02-Aug-13 12:26:23
Print Post

Quite a lot of WiFi around you. Main thing to look at is other WiFi devices transmitting on the same Channel as you (I think you are on 1?) and what power they are. From your pic I can see 5 other devices on channel 1 with varying signal strength.

This Plusnet guide shows how to change the Channel if you want to give it a go... You should try 6 or 11 (WiFi channels overlap so 1, 6 and 11 normally mean no overlap), but I can see other powerful signals on 11, so 6 might be your best bet.

Also as noted above a router that supports 5GHz might give you better speeds.

This document gives a little light reading on the subject.

Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
My Broadband Ping
Standard User godsell4
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 13:17:28
Print Post

[re: mikecrawford80] [link to this post]

Agreed, with Mike, changing your router to Channel 6 looks like a good option before looking at updating to a 5GHz network.

PlusNet BBYW1
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 02-Aug-13 13:41:41
Print Post

[re: godsell4] [link to this post]

I always fix my channel at a low combination point of the surrounding signals. I don't see the point of setting it to 1, 6, or 11, ever. Unless I'm mistaken, I am fixing my strongest signal away from all other strong signals.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 02-Aug-13 13:42:49)

Standard User gah789
(newbie) Fri 02-Aug-13 14:11:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Given the requirements for channel separation plus the likely use of multiple channels for higher speed links, you are unlikely to get any any permanent or (probably) temporary improvement by switching to another channel on 2.4 GHz. Moving to 5 GHz may improve matters for a while, but it depends on how quickly others catch on to the same tactic. Also 5 GHz WiFi has limited penetration for brick or concrete walls and similar obstructions.

In my view the best advice to switch to Homeplugs which is a wired service providing ethernet over your domestic electricity wiring. However, the number of surrounding WiFi connections suggests that you live in a block of apartments. If the apartments are old, the electricity wiring may be interconnected, so that you may not get full separation with Homeplugs. Strictly, the signals should not pass the electricity meter but that assumes modern wiring with no common electrical services such as underfloor heating. Hence, you must ensure that you follow the instructions provided with your Homeplugs to set up your own encryption with a password or phase phrase which you specify.

There are multiple suppliers of decent Homeplug equipment - the main differences relate to their software and the provision of pass-through power sockets. You must connect the Homeplugs into a directly wired socket, not to an extension cable of any kind.

Of course, the ultimate solution is installing Ethernet wiring, which anyone working or running a business from home should opt for. In particular, if you want to use network storage or servers, then WiFI or even Homeplugs cannot provide the bandwidth that is required.
Standard User kasg
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Aug-13 14:30:54
Print Post

As others have initmated, the title of your post is misleading. You do not have a "Plusnet Fibre speed nightmare", you have a wi-fi problem. It wouldn't matter what the ISP connection was, you would still have the same problem. It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who post about speed issues when they really mean wireless speed issues. I have never expected speed with a wireless connection, it is there for convenience. If I get speed it's a bonus, if I want pure speed I will use a wired connection.

Kevin

plusnet Unlimited Fibre - BQM
Using OpenDNS
Domains and web hosting with TSOHOST
Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Aug-13 20:32:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by JM1301:
Thanks for your help smile

That's a very useful picture thanks.

You have what my friends in New York call the "high rise" problem - I had a friend who couldn't t use WiFi in NYC as there were no free channels. On a 30megabit cable modem the WiFi would always work about about half a meg. Plugging in a cable always gave 30meg - so she ended up buying a 30ft cable so the laptop could move around the flat.

If you click on the "2.4GHz Channels" button, you get a picture of how many overlap on each channel, you can do the same on the "5GHz Channels" button, and these change the lower half of the picture.

Your Plusnet router might only do 2.4GHz, and if 5GHz is free and your Mac supports (which depends on age), it might be worth trying a dual band router such as the ASUS RT-N66U or the slightly cheaper TPLINK one.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/10 - Sync 54 / 11 Mbps @ 470m approx
13 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to