General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-Aug-13 21:27:20
Print Post

Re: DLM is driving me crazy!!!

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Come on Max - you are having a very bad day.

There is no exchange called Manchester Central, and the nearest to that description I know of was fibre-less until recently I believe.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Aug-13 22:13:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

An exchange called Central located in Manchester

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 27-Aug-13 23:04:08
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks smile. I've been caught out by that one before but was able to work out that was it then.

Only some of its areas have FTTC though. It was very late getting anything, as I said.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 27-Aug-13 23:56:11)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 27-Aug-13 23:19:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Blame the GPO! They named these exchanges before it was possible for Central 1234 in Liverpool to dial long-distance to Central 1234 in Manchester without asking the operator to get the # and call you back grin.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Aug-13 21:53:44
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by billford:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
With the dreaded DLM and Bt version of it, no matter what ISp you go with.
The DLM is OpenReach's, and it's a lot friendlier than the BTW version... though I'd agree it would be even better if it wasn't there.

I am pretty sure the system would work ok without it. i know on ADSl, my cable and wireless connection work a lot better without DLM than my BT connection with it.

Maybe Bt should disable it and sere what happens, you never know their equipment may work better.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Aug-13 21:59:53
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

I been ask plusnet to disabled DLM a couple of months ago but the fault team had spoken to BT Wholesale via echat as BT Wholesale rejected it and say the DLM cannot disabled for some reason.

plusnetADSL2+15.7 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Wed 28-Aug-13 22:00:19)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Aug-13 22:32:44
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Maybe because that's the product they offer and if you don't like it you buy someone else's? Same with cars, houses, and baked beans.

Standard User jchamier
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Aug-13 08:18:11
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zyborg47:
I am pretty sure the system would work ok without it. i know on ADSl, my cable and wireless connection work a lot better without DLM than my BT connection with it.
Maybe Bt should disable it and sere what happens, you never know their equipment may work better.

(FWIW, C&W is now Vodafone Networks).

The DLM might be bad for a few people, but I suspect the majority of users (whom have never heard of this forum) are better off with it. Most people prioritise stability over ultimate speed, as streaming and downloading and internet banking don't work too well with disconnections.

James BT Infinity 2 19/09/2012 - Sold 42/6 - Getting 46/8 - Sync 50 / 9 Mbps @ 470m approx
14 years of broadband (ntl: cable to BT FTTC) - Router: Asus RT-N66U - Modem: Huawei HG612 speedtest
Standard User timl
(member) Thu 29-Aug-13 08:44:29
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

In my opinion DLM is used by BT mostly to avoid having to fix minor faults with their old copper lines which ultimately saves them money.

For ADSL this worked quite well... though there were a lot of people who love being without it... Talktalk and Sky, O2 and Be.

DLM on FTTC punishes good lines that are ok apart from a bit of occasional noise or crosstalk. We need an option to have it turned off.

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Standard User billford
(elder) Thu 29-Aug-13 08:50:04
Print Post

[re: timl] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by timl:
DLM on FTTC punishes good lines that are ok apart from a bit of occasional noise or crosstalk.
If it's occasional then in my experience the DLM ignores it.
We need an option to have it turned off.
Not really. An option to reset it after a one-off exceptionally noisy episode might be useful though.

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions._________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to