General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Sep-13 08:29:05
Print Post

Re: Where is my cabinet?

[re: sjdean] [link to this post]

Now you see, I don't know why people keep giving the exact order of things.

Because they don't know themselves. wink

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Sep-13 09:38:26
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

The truth is that it varies according to the local situation.

So people are often not wrong, just overlaying their experience onto all scenarios

Andrew Ferguson, andr[email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Sep-13 11:12:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Fair point.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gazzyk1ns
(committed) Tue 17-Sep-13 14:43:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, around here they put in and powered-up 6 fibre cabinets, before they pulled all the fibre through and arranged the splitter/distribition nodes in new footway boxes. Then obviously for the few remaining cabinets the fibre had been laid, and it was the installation of cabinets and getting power to them which came last.

There's a small village near me which only has one PCP, served by the same exchange as me, but they pulled the fibre to its twin fibre cabinet from another exchange simply because it was nearer and physically far easier to do - so that would further complicate the chain of events. I think a lot of people (understandably, because of how things have always worked in the past) still think that fibre relies on "their" exchange, when it needn't. I know there've been many cases of this discussed here, it can cause quite a bit of confusion.

I spoke to a friend reently who works for OR and he was telling me that they recently went to a routine job, simply to cross-connect a PCP to its fibre twin - the plan was to use an existing duct, so it should have been easy, even if they had a slight blockage to clear. The problem was that BT/OR's out-of-date maps showed that the duct ran under a bridge - a bridge which was recently demolished and rebuilt. They essentially got the day off whilst someone worked out an alternative plan, and they never got to see exactly how and when the job got done.

Edited by gazzyk1ns (Tue 17-Sep-13 14:45:32)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Sep-13 22:38:48
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:
Because they don't know themselves. wink
Very few people really know themselves tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to