General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Oct-13 12:09:48
Print Post

Re: Fibre modems and routers

[re: Woolwich] [link to this post]

My take on it:
In reply to a post by Woolwich:
According to Plusnet, Openreach will bring two devices to connect.
OR will bring 1 device, the modem. PN will post 1 device, the cable/fibre router, to arrive before the OR visit.

Other ISPs will either supply the router free, allow you to buy 1 from them or let you use your own router.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User Woolwich
(member) Sat 05-Oct-13 12:14:30
Print Post

[re: kasg] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kasg:
Anything sold as a "cable router" should work.

Brilliant, thanks for that. Very useful. I've always used Draytek ADSL modem/routers in the past, I'm sure they'll have something suitable!
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 05-Oct-13 13:12:00
Print Post

You're right, they didn't! I was speed reading their FAQs where there's a graphic (can't find the page now) showing the two devices and describing the installation. But if I read carefully they do say they send the modem before the OR installer comes.

I stand corrected!

Not quite, Plus Net will send the router in advance not the modem, the installation engineer brings the modem. Probably a typo, but you could do with editing your post for future reference.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Woolwich
(member) Sat 05-Oct-13 13:30:54
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Typo corrected!
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 05-Oct-13 20:32:46
Print Post

Brilliant, thanks for that. Very useful. I've always used Draytek ADSL modem/routers in the past, I'm sure they'll have something suitable!

Plusnet uses a modified Thomson 585, it is a ADLS modem/router with a different firmware and one of the lan connections modified to to act as a wan.

It is a awful bit of kit, the wi-fi is about as useful two tins either end of a bit of string being used as a phone.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro , laptop by Mint

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to