General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DonnieDio2000
(learned) Sun 02-Feb-14 20:20:17
Print Post

Re: Fibre delayed by a year?

[re: DonnieDio2000] [link to this post]

Bit of an update, today they finished installing a fibre cabinet at the bottom of my street and connecting it to the telephone cabinet accross the road. Estimated availability is May 2014, so it shouldn't be long now.

Edited by DonnieDio2000 (Sun 02-Feb-14 20:20:45)

Standard User iand
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Feb-14 19:08:41
Print Post

Happy days to come.

IanD
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 03-Feb-14 19:36:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by DonnieDio2000:
Bit of an update, today they finished installing a fibre cabinet at the bottom of my street and connecting it to the telephone cabinet accross the road. Estimated availability is May 2014, so it shouldn't be long now.

Just don't get your hopes up like I did. The cabinet I am connected to had the fibre twin built in November 2012, yes 2012!! It's original date for service was March 2013...... still waiting. It just gets a new date every few months. The current date is tomorrow (based on bt wholesale checker) however when I check tomorrow it will probably say December 2014!

To they guys getting people getting 6mbps..... I get 2.25 Mb/s down and 0.32 Mb/s up! which is not good as upload lots of youtube video's!

I have resorted to finding good bt hotspots to upload my videos now from my laptop from within my car.......

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(learned) Fri 07-Feb-14 19:55:30
Print Post

[re: colic] [link to this post]

Have you emailed Openreach to ask them what's going on? (probably have being on here but just thought I'd ask). I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and they replied on Wednesday to say that they expect my cabinet to start providing the service in April.
Standard User colic
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 07-Feb-14 23:41:27
Print Post

In reply to a post by DonnieDio2000:
Have you emailed Openreach to ask them what's going on? (probably have being on here but just thought I'd ask). I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and they replied on Wednesday to say that they expect my cabinet to start providing the service in April.

Yes I have but they give different reasons or no reasons (such as we are working on the cabinet) As I said the date has now moved to the 31/03/2014 now, no surprise to me at all. I have given up the hope of getting fibre here to be honest.
(learned) Sun 13-Apr-14 23:19:04
Print Post

Well just checked today and the DSL Checker now says its available. Checked on Sky and TalkTalk sites and they'll both let me order so hopefully I can have it soon smile Now to decide who to go with. Would prefer to stay with Sky but there prices don't seem very competitive with TalkTalk or EE. Any suggestions?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 14-Apr-14 00:40:02
Print Post

What is your speed estimate from this checker? I assume you have LLU phone so that won't work. Use the Address option, not the pure Postcode one.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 58.7/14.6Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 14-Apr-14 10:17:45
Print Post

The TalkTalk cheap FTTC is the 2 Mbps upload variant, so if upload speeds are important you need to take their large product, which may change the economics

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(learned) Mon 14-Apr-14 11:36:54
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

My results:-

Clean -

Download High - 80
Download Low - 79.9
Upload High - 20
Upload Low - 19.9

Impacted -

Download High - 80
Download Low - 71.8
Upload High - 20
Upload Low - 17.9

Checked a bit more into Sky and since its only a 12 month contract and activation is free it is actually quite competitive, given that the first 6 months of that contract for 38Mb is at only £7.50.

Would like to get 76Mb but they have no deal, just a straight £30 per month which is a bit steep. Also I only get 4Mb at the moment so 38Mb is already a very good upgrade smile

Edited by DonnieDio2000 (Mon 14-Apr-14 11:39:25)

(learned) Mon 14-Apr-14 11:38:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Oh didn't realise, don't do that much uploading but would be nice to have a bit more than 2Mb.
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to