General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 21:55:54
Print Post

Re: Moving fibre to another room - best way

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Hi David_W

The setup is all new and I wish to move both the modem and the phone but I'll have to leave the master face plate where it is. So in effect, I'll have a master face plate in one room and, I assume, two cables running from that face plate through the wall into another room connecting to a new BT\RJ11 face plate minus (now I've been told) a filter. The phone and modem will then be plugged directly into that face plate. As I am currently decorating both rooms I can afford to do some cutting to add flush back boxes if necessary.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 22:22:51
Print Post

[re: FooManChu] [link to this post]

In that case, your challenges are more on the DIY spectrum than the electrical.

If cable chasing is fair game, I'd let a new single gang back box into the wall right next to the existing master, and run two category 5e solid core cables from there to a single gang back box at the far end. At the master end, fit a modular faceplate with one RJ45 module and one blank. At the remote end, you want a modular faceplate with one RJ45 module and one BT secondary module.

One of the cables goes from one RJ45 module to the other. Leave the modem where it is, and connect its LAN (Ethernet) socket to the RJ45 module using a patch cable. At the other end, connect to the router's WAN port using a patch cable.

The other cable connects to the filtered phone terminals on the back of the BT master's faceplate, and runs to the BT secondary module at the other end. Obviously, you'll need to get this cable into the back of the BT master somehow, which is why you put the new faceplate alongside the master.

In this scenario, everything that can be hard wired is hard wired, and there's no possibility of interfering with the VDSL2 signal to the modem by running it through the house. All you will see is a cable into the modem from the master, a cable from the modem into the faceplate next to the master, and the cables to the router and phone at their new location.

You'd probably save yourself a lot of hassle by getting an electrician to chase the cables for you. Not only is an electrician likely to have a powered cable chaser (typically an SDS hammer drill with a set of chasing chisels) which makes this part of the job easy, they'll have the tools and expertise to ensure they're not about to chase through existing wiring or water pipes.

It's up to you whether you wire this up yourself or get the electrician to do it - if you provide all the parts, wiring it up is a five minute job for the electrician, which would save you from buying the tools. However, as data and phone cabling is non-notifiable work, it's up to you if you want to DIY.

The making good and redecorating is probably the most significant part of the job, but should be well within the skill set of a competent DIYer.

Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 22:58:09
Print Post

Thanks David_W

The wiring and chasing is well within my capabilities as I am quite familiar with renovating houses but I am not a qualified electrician so I work within the rules (sadly have to) otherwise its a large invoice having it verified.

I would like to move the modem otherwise the entire project seems pointless as that's the major factor however if this will depreciate the signal then I'll have to re-asses the project.
I would prefer to move the modem,.

Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Nov-13 23:26:54
Print Post

Yes, the far end means room 2.

Run the cable in trunking and through the wall at skirting level or in a corner, no need for a box or face plate there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 23:28:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by FooManChu:
The wiring and chasing is well within my capabilities as I am quite familiar with renovating houses but I am not a qualified electrician so I work within the rules (sadly have to) otherwise its a large invoice having it verified.
My interpretation of Part P (as it applies to England) is that anything to do with data and phone cabling is not within the scope of that Part as it falls outside the definition of an electrical installation. If that is correct, you can DIY if you wish - there's no need to have anyone certify the work, or notify Building Control about it.

Of course, you must satisfy yourself that the work is not subject to Part P before DIYing.

I would like to move the modem otherwise the entire project seems pointless as that's the major factor however if this will depreciate the signal then I'll have to re-asses the project.
I would prefer to move the modem
You can move the modem if you wish, though you risk degrading the signal and losing speed as a result. Is it that inconvenient to wall mount the modem neatly at the master location?

If you're going to go to the hassle of chasing in, I'd install two cables as I suggested no matter what. If you decide to move the modem, you could install the cabling as I suggested, connecting the DSL port on the master filter to the RJ45 socket next to it using an RJ11 cable, and the modem to the RJ45 socket at the remote end using another RJ11 cable.

The alternative would be to use one of the spare pairs in the phone cable or a pair in the second cable to hard wire from the A and B terminals on the filter, as MHC suggested.

The reason for installing two cables is that you can easily reconfigure the setup to the Ethernet link I described if you get problems running the VDSL2 signal through the house. Having two cables also means you are ready for FTTP if installed at the current master location - you have to extend FTTP as Ethernet, because you cannot move the FTTP ONT yourself.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-13 23:31:49
Print Post

Correct telephone and CAT5 wiring falls outside part P.

Just ensure as with all holes in walls you are not about to go through mains cable

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 23:47:48
Print Post

Part P is no use nor ornament and is merely a money making scam set up by the government. It does not do what it set out to do and that is to save lives. Anyway, without risking further digress, the work does not involve any notification whatsoever and providing I leave the Master socket where it is, I won't be liable for any problems which BT might press me to answer to.

Signal degradation is a concern although I could live with a little speed reduction given that i used to only get in excess of 1.5 meg. It would not be feasible to wall mount the modem sadly or add a second face plate next to the Master as the Master itself is in the wrong place to start with and I am not willing to pay BT the extortionate amount of cash they want to move it 5 feet into another room. I will of course do some tests first using an extension cable which will allow me to move the modem temporarily into the intended room or at least close to it, so that i can see if I will lose a great deal. If I get too much degradation then I will have to re-think the project.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Nov-13 00:19:27
Print Post

Signal degradation is a concern although I could live with a little speed reduction given that i used to only get in excess of 1.5 meg. It would not be feasible to wall mount the modem sadly or add a second face plate next to the Master as the Master itself is in the wrong place to start with and I am not willing to pay BT the extortionate amount of cash they want to move it 5 feet into another room. I will of course do some tests first using an extension cable which will allow me to move the modem temporarily into the intended room or at least close to it, so that i can see if I will lose a great deal. If I get too much degradation then I will have to re-think the project.

In order to give yourself future options then installing 4 pair, solid core, 100% copper CAT5e would probably be your best bet - this can be used either as a vdsl extension between the NTE5 filtered faceplate and the modem (which might degrade the signal) or an ethernet connection between the modem (or all-in-one modem/router) and the router (or additional router or computer.)
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Nov-13 00:29:05
Print Post

Part P is no use nor ornament and is merely a money making scam set up by the government. It does not do what it set out to do and that is to save lives. Anyway, without risking further digress, the work does not involve any notification whatsoever and providing I leave the Master socket where it is, I won't be liable for any problems which BT might press me to answer to.
That's the beauty of the NTE5 master with its hidden test socket. Not only does the master come apart easily to wire to the front, the test socket allows you to disconnect all your wiring for test purposes. All wiring from the test socket onwards is the customer's property and responsibility.

As your connection sounds like it's on the slower end of the FTTC speed scale (I'm unclear whether your downstream speed is 1.5Mbit/s or 1.5MBytes/s), you may well not lose that much speed moving the modem. You won't know until you try moving it.

Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Thu 07-Nov-13 00:36:53
Print Post

Sorry I have mislead you slightly. With copper broadband I got 1.5meg. As I now have Fibre to cabinet, I get around 35meg so I could lose some without really noticing.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to