General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Thu 07-Nov-13 09:10:01
Print Post

Re: Moving fibre to another room - best way

[re: FooManChu] [link to this post]

That's the beauty of the NTE5 master with its hidden test socket. Not only does the master come apart easily to wire to the front, the test socket allows you to disconnect all your wiring for test purposes. All wiring from the test socket onwards is the customer's property and responsibility.

Yes but its a shame that one cannot move a Master socket oneself without incurring the wrath of God, or BT as they are also known as.

I will try a simple extension cable moving the modem from its current location ias far as the extension will take it, coupled with a few tests (pingtest, speedtest etc) and see what differences in performance I get. If the changes are significant, then I'll look at the project from another angle. If not, I'll start looking into MHC suggestions although I'll still have to put some form of neat blanking plate with a hole in it or grommet in order to make the cable going through the wall look a little neater.

The only other solution would be to contact BT, take out another mortgage, and pay them to move the Master face plate to the room I wish to move it all to but this will be painful and expensive.

Thanks
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 07-Nov-13 10:00:22
Print Post

[re: FooManChu] [link to this post]

Just run the cable in conduit to where you want to go through the wall. Drill a hole in te hconduit and feed the cable through. Fit and end cap and it will look fine. No need for a box or blanking plate.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Sat 16-Nov-13 14:05:40
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Got this sorted now thanks.

I ended up drilling a hole as far into the corner of the room as possible and running a 30M RJ11 extension cable from the BT Master to the other room. I tested the signal first and there was no degrading of signal. Its been running now for the past week with no performance issues. The trunking runs from the BT socket along the skirting and through the wall. I did this rather than tack to the skirting as I have some plaster skirting (old house). No need to cap as the trunking is continuous so all that is needed is a little filling where the square trunking fits through the round drill hole. Nice neat job as well. smile

I've also purchased, yes there are some that will frown at this, some TP Link Homeplug\Powerline sockets and extended the network from upstairs to downstairs. I had never tried these before so I did not know what to expect but the results are amazing (so far at least). As long as I use a main socket (no extension cables) then there is no degrading of signal and I get almost 45meg around the house now (30meg if I use extension leads). This is the same speed as if I were to plug a network cable into the back of the router direct so can't be bad.

Thanks for the help given.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to