General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 11:11:42
Print Post

Moving fibre to another room - best way

[link to this post]

Hi

I've had Fibre for about 12 months now via Plusnet and the existing location for the BT modem and Thompson router is not ideal for me. I can't move the BT master socket so I'd like to relocate both the modem and router to another room. Now I have adsl and phone extension cables but I'd like to cable everything through a wall and rather than just drill a hole and thread the cable's through, I'd like to socket it if I can for a neater job. Having seen the dual ADSL\Phone wall sockets available I was wondering if I could use two of these back to back (one in one room, one in another) and wire them together somehow. Then I could run an ADSL cable from the BT master socket from plug to the extension socket plug and the same for the phone line. Then in the other room, plug in another extension lead for ADSL into the second wall socket plug and the other end into the BT modem and the same for the phone.

My difficulty is understanding if I can wire together neatly two surface mounted dual ADSL\phone sockets (with the wires connecting back to back through the wall). The sockets I am referring to are like these...
http://www.telephone-wiring.co.uk/dual-adsl-and-broa...

Alternatively, any other possibilities would be appreciated.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-13 11:33:11
Print Post

Re: Moving fibre to another room - best way

[re: FooManChu] [link to this post]

If you have fibre you have one of these faceplates http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/faceplate/

At bottom of that page it shows where you would connect extension cabling that could terminate in an extension socket.

The yellow area A/B connectors are unfiltered, so given a decent filter at the far end you could install a flush faceplate.

So you just need ADSL/Phone faceplate and some CW1308 twisted pair extension cable or ideally cat5e to ensure best VDSL performance.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Nov-13 11:40:23
Print Post

Do you have a filtered faceplate fitted to the master?

Provided you do then the easiest way is to get a suitable length of Cat5e cable. Remove the lower part of the faceplate and you will see a 3 way IDC marked 2, 3, 5 and a 2 way IDC on the remaining part of the master marked A&B.

At the far end install a 2 way Euromodule faceplate with a BT phone socket and an RJ11 (or RJ45 module).

Connect the voice circuit using:

2 Bl/Wh
3 Or/Wh
5 Wh/Bl

And the VDSL using A & B with the Green pair from the cable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:35:37
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks for the replies so far.

I do have a BT dual faceplate with both internet and phone connections.
If I run a cable from the inside of the Master BT faceplate to another dual faceplate, will the cable have to be connected to the second dual faceplate via the back or could I add RJ11 and BT phone connectors to the cable running from the Master faceplate so I could just push these into that faceplate? Then run cable from the back of that faceplate to the back of another faceplate in another room? This would save me simply running cable through a hole in the wall.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:40:23
Print Post

Assuming you connect the cable to correct connectors inside at the master faceplate, then you would normally connect to the second dual faceplate at the back.

Running them as you suggest would be a most odd set-up. In this middle position do you need any phone/VDSL modem plugged in?

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:44:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Hi

I am planning on moving the phone as well so a dual set up is required. If I do not connect the cables in this manner, what surface or flush mounted plates are there which will tidily allow two cables to run through a wall?

So for e.g

in effect I would run a cable from the back of the Master BT faceplate and through a wall to a second dual faceplate. Rather than just push the cable through a hole I'd like to make it tidy and clean so some form of cable only faceplate is required.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:49:57
Print Post

No - that is a "cowboy" method and cable that work well with IDCs don't work well in connectors and vice versa.

Use the method I suggested and use:

Euro Module Front plate
with BT secondary and RJ11/12

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:52:16
Print Post

Maybe I am not seeing the problem, but all the dual faceplates mentioned will happily let you use cabling internal to the walls.

You seem to want

MASTER----------IN WALL---------DUAL SOCKET A ------IN WALL------DUAL SOCKET B

Where will the VDSL modem be plugged in?
Where will the phone be plugged in?

If nothing at Dual Socket A then all you need is
Blanking plate
and some Jelly Crimps to join the wiring that goes through the wall.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 13:56:45
Print Post

It's far from clear what you mean by 'dual set up'.

The best way to extend FTTC is to run an Ethernet extension to the router, and leave the modem where it is.

The next best way is to use high quality twisted pair cable to run a point to point extension from the unfiltered connection at the master (the two position IDC block on the interstitial filter) to an RJ11 socket, and relocate the modem. You do not want any intermediate sockets and definitely no branches in such a cable run.

There's no need to run a filtered phone extension to move the modem unless you need a phone extension there.

It would help a lot if you uploaded a sketch of the existing and desired layouts to some web space, and posted a link. Include details of any existing wiring that you wish to reuse.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-13 14:50:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
Do you have a filtered faceplate fitted to the master?

Provided you do then the easiest way is to get a suitable length of Cat5e cable. Remove the lower part of the faceplate and you will see a 3 way IDC marked 2, 3, 5 and a 2 way IDC on the remaining part of the master marked A&B.

At the far end install a 2 way Euromodule faceplate with a BT phone socket and an RJ11 (or RJ45 module).

Connect the voice circuit using:

2 Bl/Wh
3 Or/Wh
5 Wh/Bl

And the VDSL using A & B with the Green pair from the cable.

We really need a sticky topic for your excellent advice since the question regarding vdsl extensions keeps appearing time and time again smile
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 15:22:59
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by 4M2:
We really need a sticky topic for your excellent advice since the question regarding vdsl extensions keeps appearing time and time again smile
It's not sticky, and it's from the middle of a long thread that meanders around somewhat, but starting with this post and reading the following discussion is helpful.

It would be good if we could distil out the salient points of that thread, not least as jez9999 posted some useful 'how to' pictures.

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-13 15:47:51
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by David_W:
It's not sticky, and it's from the middle of a long thread that meanders around somewhat, but starting with this post and reading the following discussion is helpful.

It would be good if we could distil out the salient points of that thread, not least as jez9999 posted some useful 'how to' pictures.

Or vdsl extension v ethernet smile
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 15:49:48
Print Post

I also have some useful pictures linked to in my signature, One day I'll add the guide to my website, but I'm always busy doing other things.

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 15:53:29
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

Word of warning though that may need clarifying.

A few months back with all my issues with adsl, one engineer swapped the paired wires around between me and the street box before fitting a new faceplate, so the colours here would be wrong. I wonder how many households in the UK this has been done to to try to improve dsl connections?

Nick

EDIT: OK ignore this - I see you mean to just connect the cat5/6 to the faceplate frontend, not fit a new faceplate to incoming line.

Edited by Lethe (Wed 06-Nov-13 15:57:48)

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 16:01:30
Print Post

[re: Lethe] [link to this post]

If you connect up the appropriate terminals with the same coloured wires either end then it will make no difference at all. Obviously you should use twisted pairs where appropriate.

Even if your incoming pair are the wrong way around I don't think* it makes any difference these days, some older equipment may be affected though.

* This is only taken from a website which I read sometime ago.

Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 16:16:11
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Even if your incoming pair are the wrong way around I don't think* it makes any difference these days, some older equipment may be affected though.

Not just the wrong way around, but using other redundant colours of the wire pairs out of the 8 available. But it doesn't matter if you note what the two colours are.

Nick
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-13 16:34:32
Print Post

White to leg A and Orange to leg B is normal I believe smile
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Nov-13 16:54:26
Print Post

Don't forget Green & Black, Red & Grey, Blue & Brown pairs?

M H C

Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Wed 06-Nov-13 17:11:16
Print Post

Don't forget Green & Black, Red & Grey, Blue & Brown pairs?

Thanks for that info, I've only got green and black as the spare pair smile
Standard User panda
(committed) Wed 06-Nov-13 17:29:47
Print Post

Don't forget Green & Black, Red & Grey Slate, Blue & Brown pairs?
smile

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Nov-13 17:48:44
Print Post

[re: panda] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by panda:
Don't forget Green & Black, Red & Grey Slate, Blue & Brown pairs?
smile

The copy of CW1417 that I have here specifies Grey!

M H C

Standard User panda
(committed) Wed 06-Nov-13 18:16:16
Print Post

The copy of CW1417 that I have here specifies Grey!
Always been Slate in my world.
The grammatically challenged (and dubious taste) colour code mnemonics wouldn't be the same with a G instead of an S!

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User Lethe
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 18:27:10
Print Post

I think it is perhaps 'slategrey'

Nick
Standard User billford
(elder) Wed 06-Nov-13 18:35:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by panda:
Always been Slate in my world.
Problem with slate is that it isn't necessarily grey tongue

Bill
A level playing field is level in both directions.

__________Fold at Home_________________Planes and Boats and ... ______________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 19:57:38
Print Post

My last post did not appear to go through so here it is again.
I've added a link to a rather badly drawn diagram which about sums up what I am after.
Each cable in the diagram uses the built in sockets available on each faceplate, rather than connect cables via the back of the BT master socket which to reiterate is a dual BT phone and RJ11 socket with built in filter.
The only cables which would not have connectors would be the cables connecting the two faceplates either side of the walls.

The diagram can be found here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Thanks
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Nov-13 20:05:35
Print Post

Just to repeat my previous comment - that is a real cowboy way to do it. You will have filters hanging on lines, changing impedances and responses which could easily cause problems.

I have given you an easier and cheaper solution to do it in an appropriate way - what is wrong with it?

M H C

Standard User partial
(member) Wed 06-Nov-13 20:28:25
Print Post

>>Always been Slate in my world.

Always been slate in my world. But things change.

The biggest chuckle to me is E0 lines which appear to be 'Exchange Only' lines nowadays which anybody who remembers E0, E1, E2 etc must guffaw at. Laugh, I nearly dropped my AT1's, er I mean my 81s.

Edited by partial (Wed 06-Nov-13 20:30:45)

Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 20:29:17
Print Post

Hi MHC

Your solution is clear and one which I appreciate. I understand running a cable from the BT master socket internally to a faceplate containing those modules. You mention "At the far end" which I have taken as being in the room 2 in my diagram, would that be correct? If so, the cable coming into that faceplate containing the modules would just go through the wall from the room 1 and not through its own faceplate. If that is the case, I'd be looking to tidy that bit up so that the cable would go through a blanking plate of some sort.
Do you have any suggestions for that?

Many thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Standard User panda
(committed) Wed 06-Nov-13 21:14:36
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by partial:
Laugh, I nearly dropped my AT1's, er I mean my 81s.
Pliers Wiring No.2 now Shirley?

Eats shoots and leaves.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 21:50:01
Print Post

As MHC says, your diagram shows a real lash-up of a solution, which is likely to perform badly. You want one filter at the master socket and no others.

I'm not even clear whether we're attempting to reuse an existing cable through the cavity wall or not. If so, how many wires does the existing cable contain, what colours are they, and do they appear to be twisted together in pairs?

Are the only places you need a phone socket next to the FTTC modem, as in your diagram, and possibly at the master?

If you are installing new cable through the wall, the way to draw attention to the ends of that cable and be likely to damage existing decoration is to mess around letting back boxes into the wall and cover them with blanking plates.

Depending on whether you extend the VDSL or leave the modem where it was and connect modem to router over an Ethernet cable, you need one or two runs of solid core Category 5e cable. This will run easily in some mini trunking - just drill from the back of the trunking and fit an end cap to the trunking. If you subsequently redecorate, you can chase the cable into the wall and fill over the top.

Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 21:55:54
Print Post

Hi David_W

The setup is all new and I wish to move both the modem and the phone but I'll have to leave the master face plate where it is. So in effect, I'll have a master face plate in one room and, I assume, two cables running from that face plate through the wall into another room connecting to a new BT\RJ11 face plate minus (now I've been told) a filter. The phone and modem will then be plugged directly into that face plate. As I am currently decorating both rooms I can afford to do some cutting to add flush back boxes if necessary.
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 22:22:51
Print Post

In that case, your challenges are more on the DIY spectrum than the electrical.

If cable chasing is fair game, I'd let a new single gang back box into the wall right next to the existing master, and run two category 5e solid core cables from there to a single gang back box at the far end. At the master end, fit a modular faceplate with one RJ45 module and one blank. At the remote end, you want a modular faceplate with one RJ45 module and one BT secondary module.

One of the cables goes from one RJ45 module to the other. Leave the modem where it is, and connect its LAN (Ethernet) socket to the RJ45 module using a patch cable. At the other end, connect to the router's WAN port using a patch cable.

The other cable connects to the filtered phone terminals on the back of the BT master's faceplate, and runs to the BT secondary module at the other end. Obviously, you'll need to get this cable into the back of the BT master somehow, which is why you put the new faceplate alongside the master.

In this scenario, everything that can be hard wired is hard wired, and there's no possibility of interfering with the VDSL2 signal to the modem by running it through the house. All you will see is a cable into the modem from the master, a cable from the modem into the faceplate next to the master, and the cables to the router and phone at their new location.

You'd probably save yourself a lot of hassle by getting an electrician to chase the cables for you. Not only is an electrician likely to have a powered cable chaser (typically an SDS hammer drill with a set of chasing chisels) which makes this part of the job easy, they'll have the tools and expertise to ensure they're not about to chase through existing wiring or water pipes.

It's up to you whether you wire this up yourself or get the electrician to do it - if you provide all the parts, wiring it up is a five minute job for the electrician, which would save you from buying the tools. However, as data and phone cabling is non-notifiable work, it's up to you if you want to DIY.

The making good and redecorating is probably the most significant part of the job, but should be well within the skill set of a competent DIYer.

Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 22:58:09
Print Post

Thanks David_W

The wiring and chasing is well within my capabilities as I am quite familiar with renovating houses but I am not a qualified electrician so I work within the rules (sadly have to) otherwise its a large invoice having it verified.

I would like to move the modem otherwise the entire project seems pointless as that's the major factor however if this will depreciate the signal then I'll have to re-asses the project.
I would prefer to move the modem,.

Thanks
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Wed 06-Nov-13 23:26:54
Print Post

Yes, the far end means room 2.

Run the cable in trunking and through the wall at skirting level or in a corner, no need for a box or face plate there.

M H C

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 06-Nov-13 23:28:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by FooManChu:
The wiring and chasing is well within my capabilities as I am quite familiar with renovating houses but I am not a qualified electrician so I work within the rules (sadly have to) otherwise its a large invoice having it verified.
My interpretation of Part P (as it applies to England) is that anything to do with data and phone cabling is not within the scope of that Part as it falls outside the definition of an electrical installation. If that is correct, you can DIY if you wish - there's no need to have anyone certify the work, or notify Building Control about it.

Of course, you must satisfy yourself that the work is not subject to Part P before DIYing.

I would like to move the modem otherwise the entire project seems pointless as that's the major factor however if this will depreciate the signal then I'll have to re-asses the project.
I would prefer to move the modem
You can move the modem if you wish, though you risk degrading the signal and losing speed as a result. Is it that inconvenient to wall mount the modem neatly at the master location?

If you're going to go to the hassle of chasing in, I'd install two cables as I suggested no matter what. If you decide to move the modem, you could install the cabling as I suggested, connecting the DSL port on the master filter to the RJ45 socket next to it using an RJ11 cable, and the modem to the RJ45 socket at the remote end using another RJ11 cable.

The alternative would be to use one of the spare pairs in the phone cable or a pair in the second cable to hard wire from the A and B terminals on the filter, as MHC suggested.

The reason for installing two cables is that you can easily reconfigure the setup to the Ethernet link I described if you get problems running the VDSL2 signal through the house. Having two cables also means you are ready for FTTP if installed at the current master location - you have to extend FTTP as Ethernet, because you cannot move the FTTP ONT yourself.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 06-Nov-13 23:31:49
Print Post

Correct telephone and CAT5 wiring falls outside part P.

Just ensure as with all holes in walls you are not about to go through mains cable

Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Wed 06-Nov-13 23:47:48
Print Post

Part P is no use nor ornament and is merely a money making scam set up by the government. It does not do what it set out to do and that is to save lives. Anyway, without risking further digress, the work does not involve any notification whatsoever and providing I leave the Master socket where it is, I won't be liable for any problems which BT might press me to answer to.

Signal degradation is a concern although I could live with a little speed reduction given that i used to only get in excess of 1.5 meg. It would not be feasible to wall mount the modem sadly or add a second face plate next to the Master as the Master itself is in the wrong place to start with and I am not willing to pay BT the extortionate amount of cash they want to move it 5 feet into another room. I will of course do some tests first using an extension cable which will allow me to move the modem temporarily into the intended room or at least close to it, so that i can see if I will lose a great deal. If I get too much degradation then I will have to re-think the project.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Nov-13 00:19:27
Print Post

Signal degradation is a concern although I could live with a little speed reduction given that i used to only get in excess of 1.5 meg. It would not be feasible to wall mount the modem sadly or add a second face plate next to the Master as the Master itself is in the wrong place to start with and I am not willing to pay BT the extortionate amount of cash they want to move it 5 feet into another room. I will of course do some tests first using an extension cable which will allow me to move the modem temporarily into the intended room or at least close to it, so that i can see if I will lose a great deal. If I get too much degradation then I will have to re-think the project.

In order to give yourself future options then installing 4 pair, solid core, 100% copper CAT5e would probably be your best bet - this can be used either as a vdsl extension between the NTE5 filtered faceplate and the modem (which might degrade the signal) or an ethernet connection between the modem (or all-in-one modem/router) and the router (or additional router or computer.)
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Nov-13 00:29:05
Print Post

Part P is no use nor ornament and is merely a money making scam set up by the government. It does not do what it set out to do and that is to save lives. Anyway, without risking further digress, the work does not involve any notification whatsoever and providing I leave the Master socket where it is, I won't be liable for any problems which BT might press me to answer to.
That's the beauty of the NTE5 master with its hidden test socket. Not only does the master come apart easily to wire to the front, the test socket allows you to disconnect all your wiring for test purposes. All wiring from the test socket onwards is the customer's property and responsibility.

As your connection sounds like it's on the slower end of the FTTC speed scale (I'm unclear whether your downstream speed is 1.5Mbit/s or 1.5MBytes/s), you may well not lose that much speed moving the modem. You won't know until you try moving it.

Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Thu 07-Nov-13 00:36:53
Print Post

Sorry I have mislead you slightly. With copper broadband I got 1.5meg. As I now have Fibre to cabinet, I get around 35meg so I could lose some without really noticing.
Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Thu 07-Nov-13 09:10:01
Print Post

That's the beauty of the NTE5 master with its hidden test socket. Not only does the master come apart easily to wire to the front, the test socket allows you to disconnect all your wiring for test purposes. All wiring from the test socket onwards is the customer's property and responsibility.

Yes but its a shame that one cannot move a Master socket oneself without incurring the wrath of God, or BT as they are also known as.

I will try a simple extension cable moving the modem from its current location ias far as the extension will take it, coupled with a few tests (pingtest, speedtest etc) and see what differences in performance I get. If the changes are significant, then I'll look at the project from another angle. If not, I'll start looking into MHC suggestions although I'll still have to put some form of neat blanking plate with a hole in it or grommet in order to make the cable going through the wall look a little neater.

The only other solution would be to contact BT, take out another mortgage, and pay them to move the Master face plate to the room I wish to move it all to but this will be painful and expensive.

Thanks
Standard User MHC
(sensei) Thu 07-Nov-13 10:00:22
Print Post

Just run the cable in conduit to where you want to go through the wall. Drill a hole in te hconduit and feed the cable through. Fit and end cap and it will look fine. No need for a box or blanking plate.

M H C

Standard User FooManChu
(newbie) Sat 16-Nov-13 14:05:40
Print Post

Got this sorted now thanks.

I ended up drilling a hole as far into the corner of the room as possible and running a 30M RJ11 extension cable from the BT Master to the other room. I tested the signal first and there was no degrading of signal. Its been running now for the past week with no performance issues. The trunking runs from the BT socket along the skirting and through the wall. I did this rather than tack to the skirting as I have some plaster skirting (old house). No need to cap as the trunking is continuous so all that is needed is a little filling where the square trunking fits through the round drill hole. Nice neat job as well. smile

I've also purchased, yes there are some that will frown at this, some TP Link Homeplug\Powerline sockets and extended the network from upstairs to downstairs. I had never tried these before so I did not know what to expect but the results are amazing (so far at least). As long as I use a main socket (no extension cables) then there is no degrading of signal and I get almost 45meg around the house now (30meg if I use extension leads). This is the same speed as if I were to plug a network cable into the back of the router direct so can't be bad.

Thanks for the help given.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to