General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Nov-13 10:21:44
Print Post

Re: When will we get better internet?

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Surely BT can put new Cabinet nearby you. Why can't they do this?
Openreach can only locate a cabinet where the relevant cables run past. So far, they've adopted the policy of putting the cabinet at the PCP, which can mean reorganising the copper network to create a PCP in an appropriate place.

In this case, it sounds like the OP is distant from the PCP and in a remote location, so this kind of network reorganisation to create a cabinet does not make economic sense - you'd site an costly cabinet in a remote location where few users could take advantage of it.

In some parts of Cornwall, FTTP has been used to cover disparate remote properties, but the cost per user is high. As gah789 says, this may be a situation where self help is the best approach.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-13 10:48:09
Print Post

Urm because there are lots of other properties a lot closer and thus can benefit from the cabinet been enabled.

BT tends not to be build cabinets 1.8 miles away from everyone.

Harsh as it sounds, this is not about a village of 100 properties not getting service, but one farm at 1.8 miles, there may be another closer at around 1.3 miles but the 99.9% of the rest of the properties look inside 1km.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Nov-13 10:52:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by adslmax:
Because BT are waste of million of pound of putting too many cabinets below 25Mbps and the distance is unbelieved too far away. BT never learn the future technology and BT should stop called superfast broadband if FTTC cannot getting more than 25Mbps.

BT are usually among the working groups inventing the 'future technology'.

You're here whinging about BT meanwhile elsewhere you're pressing a hearing aid up against a cabinet because you're so desperate to use FTTC.

Seriously seek mental help and perhaps gainful employment.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 20-Nov-13 10:52:48
Print Post

[re: TomPoolHD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TomPoolHD:
Have you got any ideas on how we would get a better speed ? I checked on the bt infinity checker and it gave me a option for Bt Faster total broadband at 7mb/s and we chose that option.. Had a engineer visit and he said that he could not install the broadband because the line was to long..He said that some of the cable under the bypass was aliminium and that would drive down the speed with the partial fibre service. That was the end of the 7mb/s they had predicted and we just stuck with thre adsl.

ah, so you have had an attempted FTTC install that didn't work ? ie the engineer couldn't get a signal ?

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-13 10:53:16
Print Post

Can I suggest you read the Openreach press releases and not what the journalists re-jig to say...Openreach is surprisingly careful in its use of wording normally.

Can I suggest a look at http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2013/05/so-how-fast-a... and you will see that the speed spread is not unlike the national projections. Also pay head to the table of speeds.

Yes Virgin Media does better in speed tests, but then we see lots leaving Virgin Media because of congestion issues

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User timl
(committed) Wed 20-Nov-13 13:02:40
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

If that's true (the OP is connected to an FTTC enabled cabinet) wouldn't FTTPoD (if it were available) be perfect in this situation... albeit very expensive for the end user (and BT)

Plusnet unlimited FTTC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-13 13:13:05
Print Post

[re: timl] [link to this post]

If the pricing was within their budget then yes, off top of head £3000 install and then the monthly fee for the 300 Mbps service.

Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Nov-13 13:23:27
Print Post

[re: Ignitionnet] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ignitionnet:
BT are usually among the working groups inventing the 'future technology'.

You're here whinging about BT meanwhile elsewhere you're pressing a hearing aid up against a cabinet because you're so desperate to use FTTC.

Seriously seek mental help and perhaps gainful employment.

Could I politely suggest we append a signature to all ADSLMAX's posts, something along the lines of.

"Please ignore any statements or facts that I post, as I clearly don't understand what I'm commenting on"

So many people are now having to correct what he posts.

Standard User TomPoolHD
(newbie) Wed 20-Nov-13 13:24:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

£3000 for 300mb/s wow .. I dont think that would be a option.. Thats a lot of money for internet and then a monthly fee. Regarding the try for the FTTC the engineer got a signal but he said the speeds where only 3 mb/s down and 1mb/s up when he tried. So we stayed with the ADSL.

Edited by TomPoolHD (Wed 20-Nov-13 13:29:43)

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Nov-13 13:46:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If the pricing was within their budget then yes, off top of head £3000 install and then the monthly fee for the 300 Mbps service.
It is likely to be more than that in this case. FTTPoD is priced on radial (i.e. straight line) distance to the aggregation node.

1.8 miles from the cabinet is 2.9 km. If that is line length, the radial distance may be somewhat shorter. However, the aggregation node is not necessarily at the cabinet - it is unlikely to be closer than the cabinet and could be a fair distance further away.

1500-1999m from the aggregation node is a total of £4000 plus VAT for FTTPoD installation. This is the highest band in the Openreach wholesale FTTPoD price list before you reach "Terms On Application". I suspect the OP's case falls into "Terms on Application".

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to