General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-13 14:08:55
Print Post

Re: When will we get better internet?

[re: TomPoolHD] [link to this post]

If the on demand pricing is too high and more speed needed

Then its

1. 3g/4g - what 3G speeds do you get now?
2. Fixed wireless - i.e. point to point extension from next nearest property with decent speeds.
3. Satellite - poor latency but a boon for business use, less so for TV streaming due to usage limits.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Wed 20-Nov-13 14:26:48
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

he appears as (knowledge is power) maybe needs to be (ignorance isn't bliss)

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User TomPoolHD
(newbie) Wed 20-Nov-13 16:14:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well saying this. I can test from the top of our house(we have thick walls so i have to go to the window to even get a signal) but when i do the 3G can be about 10-20mb/s, i have some speed test results here.
http://gyazo.com/668e544c5254ca1fedc7af530d2b90ab
and
http://gyazo.com/c07a2dba8b7d36cc0a86df6410544f10
thanks

Edited by TomPoolHD (Wed 20-Nov-13 16:28:01)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gah789
(learned) Wed 20-Nov-13 17:58:32
Print Post

With these speeds, get a 3G router with a good aerial such as a WIBE HS21 which will work as a WiFi hub or can be connected to your network. Then, go for the most suitable 3G data contract - probably from 3 if it has coverage in your area.

The WIBE costs £350 but in my experience it does enhance and stabilise the 3G throughput for weak signals. This will be a lot less trouble than a self-help fixed wireless solution, especially if you run it in parallel with your ADSL service. The thing to be careful about is download limits because it is expensive to run over the monthly limit - a maximum of 15GB for 3.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-13 18:13:27
Print Post

[re: gah789] [link to this post]

Or if the antenna needs to be outside to get the best speeds look at http://www.solwise.co.uk/3g-antenna-outdoor.htm though best to keep the lead from antenna to router as short as possible otherwise what the antenna gains the lead will lose

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User TomPoolHD
(newbie) Wed 20-Nov-13 18:19:51
Print Post

[re: gah789] [link to this post]

Ok well 3G is a no go then. If its going to be 15GB usage cap that not too good for me. I download game and use a lot more than 15gb, Just wishing that the partial fiber service worked.. I heard about line bonding.. That could be a option Thanks anyway.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-13 19:31:48
Print Post

It might, but on a line with such low FTTC speeds it may not be reliable enough.

Standard User TomPoolHD
(newbie) Wed 20-Nov-13 20:01:31
Print Post

Just found this map on Supe Fast North Yorkshire it is showing the coverage of fiber in malton and old malton.. They are supposed to be ''connecting the community'' here in Malton and all over north yorkshire.
Here is a screen shot of the map: http://gyazo.com/9d880dc73e45461a2c02f40620f2dd7d
Super Fast North Yorkshire:http://www.superfastnorthyorkshire.com/home
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Nov-13 20:03:48
Print Post

TomPoolHD - The only way is write a letter to PM and ask him to fund the cost for fibre all the way to your property from the exchange and tell the PM to stop waste the billion of pound on stupid HS2 railway network. I do feel sorry for you mate to be honest. If I am the CEO of Openreach, I will put the share funds towards to every property who had 1km away from the cabinet FTTC is no benefit at all. The only best option is FTTH.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg

Edited by adslmax (Wed 20-Nov-13 20:07:15)

Standard User kitcat
(committed) Wed 20-Nov-13 20:09:49
Print Post

Tom

If you are at the farmstead I think you are, only a fixed radio link to someone in the village is likely to be cost effective.

You would need line of sight from a pole to one in the village where you could rent a BB line, this may serve all the dwelling in your small cluster if you are happy sharing the bandwidth. You are a long way from the cab due to the Bypass as well.

I couldn't see an overhead pole route to you so FTTPoD would be in the very expensive range. As you have more than 2Mb it is unlikely anyone would be interested in helping you get better as the present target for your sort of area is only 2Mb at present.

If enogh of your neighbours are interested you could always offer Openreach to self dig for a full FTTP solution back to wherever they cross the bypass. this could reduce the cost to £2-5K, would need 8 plus installations to make to cost effective for them as well. They do say they will look at offers to 'self dig'.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to