General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-13 22:55:53
Print Post

Re: When will we get better internet?

[re: TomPoolHD] [link to this post]

You may think the Eden camp is close to you but a map says the two post codes are 2 miles apart and Eden Camp Modern History Museum is a fair lick closer to the cabinet than these two cabinets.

In terms of most broadband technologies only fixed wireless would serve both those postcodes without too much effort. You won't get a FTTC cabinet closer for the two of you...

This will sound harsh but you need to make a very strong case (beyond I want) for them to spend money to improve connectivity for your business, it may be they just say we will look at it once the current programme finishes and we are planning what to do with the next chunk of money.

You have fast 3G available to you, which is a lot more than many businesses have in rural areas.

Andrew Ferguson, [email protected]
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 20-Nov-13 23:10:14
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Given:-
In reply to a post by TomPoolHD:
The internet is really bad for youtube and gaming witch is what i mostly use it for
isn't he probably better with ADSLx for the gaming?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Nov-13 23:13:49
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Keep the ADSL for the latency sensitive stuff and long overnight downloads and use the 3G for other bits of pieces.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Nov-13 23:44:49
Print Post

It's very hard to read the screen captures, but I believe one gives an FTTC estimate of 10.9/1 Mbit/s and the other 4/0.9 Mbit/s. These are, of course, only estimates, and FTTC may fail to work reliably on both of these lines due to the low upstream speed.

I'm not clear what your point is. Three premises do not make a compelling case for expensive technical solutions of the magnitude of installing around 2 km of new underground fibre. Even if all three of you took up 330/30 Mbit/s FTTP, the wholesale revenue on those three ports would be less than £1500 per annum before VAT, and the install costs are going to be way more than ten times that.

BDUK aims to use EU State Aid to improve superfast coverage by contributing towards the cost of roll-out in locations where the economic viability on a purely commercial basis is marginal to mildly negative. As can be seen by the superfast target being below 100%, BDUK never aimed to provide fibre based superfast to every home and business.

There are plenty of city centre business district locations where businesses cannot get FTTC or FTTP. Openreach excluded some cabinets in these areas from the commercial roll-out. Some have argued this was Openreach protecting their revenue for expensive point-to-point circuits such as leased lines, though a slightly more charitable explanation is that medium to large sized businesses need a handful of extremely fast connections, not a larger number of merely superfast connections. BDUK changes nothing in these areas, as there's already 95%+ superfast coverage in the area as a whole.

If you and the two other premises can get together a joint business case for faster broadband, why not investigate installing a shared 5 GHz wireless link that connects to an FTTC line close to the cabinet?

Standard User mr_mojo
(knowledge is power) Wed 20-Nov-13 23:51:33
Print Post

I'm surprised you're finding it so hard to cope on 3mbit/sec. My parents house has 3mbit/sec and everything apart from HD streams brilliantly when I go to visit them.

Yes, things downloads take longer (leave my phone in the attic and I can get 20mbit/sec on tethering via wifi due to very thick built walls - but not that convenient) but I don't notice the difference day to day much between that and my 1gigE connection at work. In fact it's generally better than my Virgin Media cable in London.

The only thing that is dramatically different is upload speed.

Overall I would say look at getting a three 'one plan' sim, put it in a phone that supports at least DC-HSPA+ and you should be fine. Do HD streaming/giant downloads/uploads on that but leave everything else to ADSL.

It sounds like you're on a congested provider if you are finding it that bad. Youtube streams are generally 1mbit for 480p SD and around 2.5mbit/sec for HD...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 21-Nov-13 00:32:12
Print Post

It might be worth while spending a few minutes making sure you are getting the best possible from your ADSLx anyway.

You've already been asked who the ISP is, as for Youtube and gaming that can be important. Second, you gave us your attenuation. Could we have your connection speed and noise margin (maybe called SNR or SNRM by your router) figures please?

Once we have those, there are a probably few things to try, to inprove your speed smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User TomPoolHD
(newbie) Thu 21-Nov-13 07:37:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Here you go. Im with Plus net if that helps and i have a Billion 7800N.

Parameters
DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode G.DMT
Upstream 448
Downstream 3430
SNR Margin(Upstream) 15.0
SNR Margin(Downstream) 6.4
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 31.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 54.0

And
WAN Interface
ADSL Mode Annex L Annex M
Modulator ADSL2 ADSL2+ G.Lite T1.413 G.Dmt(ticked)
Capability SRA Enable
PhyR Upstream Downstream(ticked)
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 21-Nov-13 09:24:29
Print Post

Low speed due to the high target noise margin

http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/index.php?param=RG...

As above link shows with those stats and a 6dB target you could be looking at a 4.7 Mbps connection. Time to do the same test but from the test socket to see if anything changes and can then look at wiring improvements.

You can probably double your upstream speed by asking PlusNet to uncap the upstream speed, as they have a bug where they cap you to 448 rather than letting it rate adapt.

The Billion might allow you to also manually tweak the downstream SNR margin to get more speed, but do the test socket first and see how different the noise margins are also at night.

Standard User ojobobby
(newbie) Thu 21-Nov-13 10:37:21
Print Post

Hi TomPoolHD,

I agree its really frustrating when the cabinet that serves you has had FTTC enabled but you are just too far away to make use of it - but considering the location your ADSL speeds are really not too bad. Here in London NW5 I can only sync on ADSL at 4.5Mbit on a 52db attenuation. The lines are mostly aluminium as confirmed by open reach.

This sort of thing is happening everywhere, even for myself pretty much in central London! Our local cabinet is literally 10 seconds walk from my front door in the neighbouring street - FTTC planned but delayed/blocked due to council not liking the new cabinet position. If and when it eventually gets installed, it will have no direct benefit to homes on my street as we are on a direct to exchange cable and thus not in the fibre roll out at all. FTTC aside, the neighbouring streets connected via the cabinet can achieve double the ADSL speed I can. There are entire neighbourhoods in east London for example which can only achieve about 0.5mb due to line length.

Edited by ojobobby (Thu 21-Nov-13 10:48:15)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 21-Nov-13 13:00:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Low speed due to the high target noise margin
No! You've misread UP NM for Down. Speed spot on.

Is it lack of sleep or coffee again or whatever it was last time? grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | [6] | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to