General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Nov-13 10:21:01
Print Post

Re: When will we get better internet?

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by TomPoolHD:
about plusnet letting my upstream go from 448 they said it will take some speed of my download sync so i decided against that.
They're mixing up upgrading to ADSL Max Premium with Annex M. It won't affect your downstream.

Shocked that PN CS staff does not know his Annex M.

I've got a couple people's lines uncapped over the years and Plusnet have always advised that it would affect download speed, but it never has.

They really shouldn't be capping the upload if it won't affect download speeds.

Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Nov-13 10:48:42
Print Post

[re: R0NSKI] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:

I agree 100% it would save BT & Plusnet money & times to do this.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User TomPoolHD
(newbie) Fri 22-Nov-13 12:48:17
Print Post

[re: adslmax] [link to this post]

Last night the snr in the afternoon was about 4.0 and last night it dropped to 1.9 ... And did not drop but i have a feeling it could of.. Is this normal ? I kicked the snr back up to 6db and it stayed at lowest 4.4 after that. Any ideas ?

Edited by TomPoolHD (Fri 22-Nov-13 19:06:55)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Nov-13 14:42:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by R0NSKI:
Users have to order and pay extra for upgrading to ADSL Max Premium.

Or are you confusing it with PN's habit of capping ADSL2+ to 448K upon installation. In that case I agree with you.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 22-Nov-13 14:50:43
Print Post

[re: TomPoolHD] [link to this post]

Yes, it's normal, or at least common. On ADSLx mine used to vary by 3.5dB over 24 hours. Nothing to worry about.

That's why the standard margin used to be set to a minimum 6dB, to cater for greater variation.

It also depends how good the router is at coping - Speedtouch 585s I found typically lost sync when he margin fell below 3dB, whereas NetGear 834 series would hold to 0dB or even slightly negative values.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User adslmax
(knowledge is power) Fri 22-Nov-13 15:10:24
Print Post

[re: TomPoolHD] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by TomPoolHD:
4.0 and last night it dropped to 1.9

Between 4 and 1.9 will be fine. I don't think it won't lower than 1.9dB. You can leave it at 4dB anyway. But for snr tweak at 3dB probably too much and could go lower around 1dB.

I had mine set at 3.1dB and went down at 2.0dB overnight which it fine as I had it stable for 72 days.

plusnetADSL2+16 Meg
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Nov-13 15:36:00
Print Post

I'm not confusing anything, I was referring to them capping ADSL2.+ lines which I thought you was saying was unaffected by uncapped upload speed.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Nov-13 15:42:54
Print Post

confused

I explicitly stated I was talking about 'ADSL Max Premium' in the context of OP's getting his G.DMT upstream uncapped.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 22-Nov-13 16:37:12
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
confused

I explicitly stated I was talking about 'ADSL Max Premium' in the context of OP's getting his G.DMT upstream uncapped.

And I thought we we're talking about getting the OPs ADSL2+ line uncapped (which he did), so we may have our wires crossed.

Plusnet always cap uploads on ADSL2+ at 448Kb/s (see here), and they have always said that uncapping the upload would affect download speeds, and all cases were I've had lines uncapped on ADSL2+ it's not affect the download speed but has boosted the upload speed.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 22-Nov-13 17:36:02
Print Post

Sorry, you're right! I was forgetting that OP was on ADSL2+ service but running on G.DMT. So everything I said about 'ADSL Max Premium' was a load of cobblers.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | [9] | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to