General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 07:13:51
Print Post

Re: Did you find upgrading to fibre worth while?

[re: smouty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smouty:
Hi,
Sorry if this is not news but I don't know how much you know about FTTC.
The C in FTTC is for cabinet and this is where your 'copper' terminates. This will be hopefully significantly nearer than your exchange where your current ADSL line goes.
This reduction in line length is why the speed is so much faster wink

If you know what cab you are connected to and approx. how far away it is you can estimate your speed which is what the online checkers are doing.

I am very near to the cab so get close to the max 80mb/20mb down/up.

the reduction in line length can't be the only reason for the faster speed, I know people right next to the exchange on ADSL and depending on who they are with can get between 12 and 23Mbp/s, so it must also be due different technology as well.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User logansfolly
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-14 08:19:42
Print Post

[re: zyborg47] [link to this post]

Hey guys thanks for the reply's.

I should have looked into fttc your right... however i was told on the phone i have an estimated speed of 40mbs. I was told that this could be a bit slower (and i know from experance that you can take 5-10 mbs off an estimate usally!)

Any thing is better than the .75 i am currently getting!?! So much lag on my poor ps4 mp games!? And all my downloads take FOREVER!

I think my cabinet is around half a mile away from me so i rekon im looking around 20mbs or so. It's the only fttc cabinet i can find.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Jan-14 11:48:39
Print Post

[re: logansfolly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by logansfolly:
I think my cabinet is around half a mile away from me so i rekon im looking around 20mbs or so. It's the only fttc cabinet i can find.

Within 400 metres, you could be looking at a speed of 80Mbps, but it could be less. Within 650 metres, it could be 40-50Mbps, and within 900 metres it could be 25-30Mbps.

"around half a mile" suggests somewhere around the 700-900 metre mark.

The best information will come from the checker that MrSaffron supplied a link to earlier in the thread. That will give you a realistic estimate and tell you which cabinet you are connected to.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User neo_wales14
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-14 14:31:41
Print Post

[re: WWWombat] [link to this post]

To answer the original question, yes the upgrade to FTTC was and is worth every penny. I went from around 15mb/s to 70+mb/s. If the OP only jumps to 15mb/s his game playing will be far more enjoyable as will streaming the likes of youtube/netflix.

All the best

Bob in Wales
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Jan-14 14:43:58
Print Post

HI, New Here so Go easy!!

I am with Sky broadband. I have a line estmate of 2.5 mbs. I get 0.85mbs on speed test... stable yet very slow.

I have now upgraded to fibre and am trying to find what speed i'll actually get!? Sky are saying 40mbs but it could be as low as 15!?!

I would like other peoples experance in upgrading.. will it make a huge difference in speed. I know it's fttc fibre broadband and have no clue when my fttc cabinet is!?!

Look forward to reading replies.

Worth every penny for us, we went from 5Mbit to 40Mbit then to 75Mbit when Infinity 2 came out.

There are 4 people in my house and no one is a serial downloader or uses torrent etc. but what it did do was open up streaming that is available via YouView, Sky, Netflix etc. everyone can batter them services at once and nothing misses a beat, half of my screen is showing Sky Go as i write this.

Obviously general surfing is better but also gaming improves in that i can play COD now and if one of the kids uploads to YouTube or Facebook the game doesnt skip and fart.
Standard User sandacol
(learned) Wed 22-Jan-14 17:10:18
Print Post

Yes definitely worthwhile. Upgraded from 2 lines with O2, both doing about 3 meg down, 1 up, to a single line with Plusnet getting about 73/20.
I'm VERY, VERY happy with the upgrade.
It's about the only monthly outgioing that I don't resent!
We have 2 xboxes, Sky go, iPlayer and general surfing all going on at the same time with very few complaints. (I did need to change the router - the plusnet one was struggling with the load & serving the 2 xboxes).
. . . and ignore my speed test numbers - that was from a laptop PC over wireless

plusnet

Wifi_Speedtest
Just need to sort out the wireless now . . .
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 17:56:58
Print Post

Not sure if I would have gone for FTTC to be honest, i know my ADSL was not that high about 3-4Mbp/s, depending on which way the wind was blowing, but it did do what I want.
I had a few reasons for changing to the service i am with now, which is not ADSL or FTTC, it is a wireless system.
Maybe saving some money, saying that I am not saving that much now as I updated the service, so i now pay the same as I did when I had a phone line, more or less.

Second thing to get rid of the phone line, third, to support a local company that would have local customer service.
Speed was not really on my mind at the time I knew it was slightly faster than ADSl. I did update to a faster speed when I started using Netflix more, but saying that Netflix would work fine on the lower speed.

So would i got for FTTC if i did not have the service i got now? I don't think so to be honest, because they price i would have to pay would be too high.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Wed 22-Jan-14 20:23:27
Print Post

had a look at allpay and to me £15 a month for 2mbit is too high, whilst £20 or so for a 80mbit FTTC service but lets say 30-40mbit assuming a not great line. Is much better value, £5 extra for a speed thats 20 times as fast. 2mbit wont cut it for things like hd netflix its a speed thats now dated.

FTTC will have variances in line performance but the average speed on FTTC is way higher than ADSL averages,

Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jan-14 21:58:04
Print Post

Hey guys thanks for the reply's.

It's all subjective and depends on your personal circumstances but here is my story (exact same house and line)

2000 Rejected for original 512Kb ADSL
2001 Got 512Kb RADSL

Over time got to 2Mbps ADSL and then moved to Sky and then O2 LLU and got about 3.5Mbps ADSL

2011 - moved to BT Infinity

BT Wholesale speed estimate 67.2Mbps/19Mbps
Samknows White box 74/19
20 threads on binary newsreader 80Mbps (occassionally slightly more)

I've gone from miles from the exchange for ADSL to 75m to the Fibre cabinet for Infinity

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jan-14 22:30:56
Print Post

the reduction in line length can't be the only reason for the faster speed

Indeed, the VDSL DSLAM is chucking out either 40 or 80 meg sync to start with, that coupled with a shorter pair is where the gains are made.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to