General Discussion
  >> Fibre Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Jan-14 13:26:22
Print Post

Re: Did you find upgrading to fibre worth while?

[re: logansfolly] [link to this post]

You can use the estimates to locate your cabinet, just get a post code which is close to the cabinet that you think is yours. put that in the ADDRESS checker,, then hit submit and you will get a list of properties in that postcode, select one and submit.

Check the cabinet number, and if its the same as yours check the speed estimate, if it's very close to 80mbps then that property is pretty close to the cabinet.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 23-Jan-14 13:38:14
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

BT are generally only selling a hybrid connection, unless you pay for FTTP.
AIUI FTTP is the same price as FTTC at equivalent speeds. Just tried to find it on BT's website but failed.

Are you talking about FTTPoD?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User roughbeast
(regular) Thu 23-Jan-14 13:48:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I believe that BT are rolling out FTTP availability.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/09/bt-open...

Virgin Media: 120mb/12Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 23-Jan-14 13:51:16
Print Post

[re: roughbeast] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by roughbeast:
I believe that BT are rolling out FTTP availability.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2013/09/bt-open...

That article is about FTTPoD. There is a big difference in cost between that and standard FTTP.
Standard User logansfolly
(newbie) Thu 23-Jan-14 14:17:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
In reply to a post by logansfolly:
i am connected to 'cabinet 29' but as there are no numbers on the cabinets i see little use in this information.
As has been said, no numbers on the FTTC cabinets, but almost always on the phone cabinet.
Imo estimate are not so accurate so i wanted to ask of peoples actual increases and or experience's.
A damn sight more accurate than the ones you make yourself, and nobody else's are relevant in any way at all.
Edit - typos.

Wow great thanks for your reply??? 'ALMOST' always but not in this case,so again meaningless!! Thanks for your opinion on other peoples speed's after upgrade. It was more to find general opinion rather than what speed i'll get. #EDIT# - DO one.

-RONSKI- thanks, i'll give that a try.

Edited by logansfolly (Thu 23-Jan-14 14:19:17)

Standard User Rastus
(committed) Thu 23-Jan-14 14:41:21
Print Post

When looking for cabinet numbers make sure you examine the cabinet thoroughly as I've seen the numbers painted on either the ends or front (or sometimes both) of the cabinet.

Bear in mind that the number may have been painted many years ago and may have weathered considerably to the point where it may be hard to read if at all.
Standard User WWWombat
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Jan-14 15:38:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by logansfolly:
-RONSKI- thanks, i'll give that a try.

If you need to find some postcodes for your area, use the Royal Mail postcode finder. Put in the street name, but not number. It will then give you all the properties on the road, and all their postcodes.

When you go to the BT-Wholesale DSL checker's address checker, putting the postcode in alone, it will give you a list of addresses on the postcode. It sometimes even includes the FTTC cabinet (as "STREET SIDE DSLAM XXXXXX") in the list of addresses, and you can see an example of that using postcode "HG2 9BH".

I used this a while back, when moving house, and wanted to know where a variety of cabinets were so I could choose the house wisely...
Standard User R0NSKI
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 23-Jan-14 15:45:21
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

I've seen many a cabinet with the number just written on, sometimes black marker pen, sometimes using a hard paint stick (a bit like a crayon).

Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jan-14 18:00:49
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by johnjburness:
In reply to a post by zyborg47:
the reduction in line length can't be the only reason for the faster speed, I know people right next to the exchange on ADSL and depending on who they are with can get between 12 and 23Mbp/s, so it must also be due different technology as well.

Yes & No!

On face value, any reduction in Line Length will improve ADSL.

However, not all connections are the same!

Some of the possible considerations:-
1) Depends on Line Length, NOT geographical proximity to the Exchange (cable could be routed all over the place before it gets to the Premises)

Tell me about it, that is why ADSl is pretty poor where i live, not so much the distance from the exchange, but because Bt could not be bothered to re-route the cable when they moved the exchange, so the cable from here goes to where the old exchange was and then doubles back to the new exchange.
2) Number of joints & quality of the joints (particularly if old cable) in the cable

that is another problem we have here, a lot of the cables under the road are old and the ones going from the pole to the buildings are not that much better.

Mine was suppose to have been replaced around 15 years back and nothing was done, bloated toad, takes as much money as they can on line rental and do nothing with it apart from paying their shareholders and CEO Wages.

3) Any possibility all or part of the cable is routed through Aluminium, rather than Copper.

i don't we got that problem, but you never know, if they have to replace a cable they may use aluminium to save money
4) Any possible external interference to the external cable.

Christmas lights from some nit across the road who wants to light up the street
5) Then we start listing any issues that maybe creating issues within the actual User's Premises!

Mine was ok as far as I could tell, not sure about the join by the front door mind you, I had a look in there once and was shocked at the mess. i could do a better at wiring than that. I suppose it was done before the days of broadband, maybe before the days of the internet itself

With respect to FTTC, I don't have specific knowledge but my understanding is that the local copper connection (i.e. from the Cabinet to the Home) is operated using VDSL Technology, which can provide the much faster speeds, than ADSL, but it clearly can only operate over relatively short distances (hence the Fibre Part of the circuit to get to the Cabinet).

Much faster? depends on your circumstances, you could be closer to the exchange than you are to the cabinet, so your ADSl could be almost as good as FTTC.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Standard User zyborg47
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 23-Jan-14 18:11:43
Print Post

[re: smouty] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by smouty:
The reduction in line length isn't the only reason. VDSL uses much higher frequencies to achieve high data rates but the drop off for these is quite sharp so the speed drop over distance is high hence the reduction in line length to the cabinet whilst not being the sole reason, is a requirement for the technology to work.

I had a feeling that was reason. i have read some things about it.
Regarding Allpay. This is a very localised service and is in no way comparable to BT.
I'm very happy with Infinity2 service. It has been 100% faultless for me. The speed has dropped off slightly from 80mbit to 70mbit over a year due to crosstalk but this is more bandwidth than I know what to do with.

Yep, allpay is localised, but there are others around that do the same sort of service.

i would not go back to BT to be honest, i would not really want to go back to Bt equipment either, as it is i have been disconnected from Bt equiment for nearly 2 years and to be honest i don't want to go back to it unless i really had to, but it certainly not be directly with Bt.

Adrian

Desktop machine now powered by windows 8 pro 64bit, no dreaded metro and Linux , laptop by Linux

ALLPAY Wireless broadband
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | [4] | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to